Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official S54 -> E36 Swap FAQ

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    So the Z3M harness is longer than the E46 harness?

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    So the Z3M harness is longer than the E46 harness?
    Yes, it will reach the E36 ECU box. The only thing you have to mod on it is the main 4 gauge power wire, you have to replace it with a slightly longer one. The E46 harness will reach to the E36 fuse box and that's it.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Good info for my own future project.

My Cars
    German ones
    Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post
    The Z3M with S54?

Usually see them going for around $3-400....but I have seen them at $200 as well. Which is what I am hoping to find, but now that it's become known you can save a lil leg work using the Z3 harness, their prices have gone up.
    I paid $419 from ECS for mine, just FYI.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    I did see that searching the other day, that's about what it's stayed at consistent through them and the dealer. TheBMWpartstore has it for $380 delivered...was just hoping to see one at the costs they used to be a year or two ago....oh well I guess. Wish that price included the complete harness, not just the main engine portion.

Well, soon to be up for sale E46M3 engine harness I guess.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    What sucks is the cost on them to the dealers is like $280, might have been $210 but I forget.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Planning to do this swap next year, thank you OP for the thread.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I did see that searching the other day, that's about what it's stayed at consistent through them and the dealer. TheBMWpartstore has it for $380 delivered...was just hoping to see one at the costs they used to be a year or two ago....oh well I guess. Wish that price included the complete harness, not just the main engine portion.

Well, soon to be up for sale E46M3 engine harness I guess.
    So the benefit of the z3M S54 harness over the e46m3 harness is the length? Why do I see harnesses for $1700?

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Because of the time it takes to integrate the e36 chassis adaptor into the harness.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Gonna be that guy and ask the question that is probably on every other s54 swap thread, BUT isn't there a visual diy somewhere of exactly what wires to splice to what?

I remember doing this from a c101 87 325i engine harness to the body side harness connector of an 84 325e. It was pretty simple because there was a ton of resources and info from r3v. No one has been so kind to spend all their time explaining it in a diagram for s54 - e36 yet?

My Cars
    1989 325i: 00 M Roadster
    There are guides as to what wires one could splice.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Thank you for the great thread ! Grest info. I'm almost finished with my swap, some fuel mapping tuning to finish. I'm using a DTA Fast S100 ECU instead of OEM. I noticed over the weekend that I don't have any heat in the HVAC system. I confirmed I have power to all fuses, and system worked fine before the swap. No power is going to the control valves that regulate the water flow to heater core. Looking at the wiring diagram, I see the BMW DME feeds an rpm signal to the Integrated HVAC module. I don't think the guy doing the wiring accounted for that. Anybody ran into similar issue ?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    So the benefit of the z3M S54 harness over the e46m3 harness is the length? Why do I see harnesses for $1700?
    The issue with using the e46 m3 harness is that you won't be able to mount the Ecu in the stock location . It will need to be run under the intake manifold, or into the cabin via the firewall.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 BMW Dinan 3 x two
    Thank you for taking your time time to put all the information in one place. if you can, add pics along the way.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Is anyone using the VAC DBW delete kit ? I used this kit with custom throttle cable. The install works ok but throttle pedal is stiff and a litte lazy to return in the shut position. I'm wondering if I have a problem with the linkage on the engine itself. Any changes made to make it operate more smoothly ?

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Sounds almost like the cable is kinked or not lubed well.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Cable looks good in terms of positioning. I'll check to see if it's dry and needs lubricating.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by mlg2ca View Post
    Cable looks good in terms of positioning. I'll check to see if it's dry and needs lubricating.
    Also, try disconnecting it from the ITB's and moving them manually. Are they sticking? Is there a hose in the way? Does the cable move fine when not attached?

My Cars
    07/95 E36 ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mlg2ca View Post
    Is anyone using the VAC DBW delete kit ? I used this kit with custom throttle cable. The install works ok but throttle pedal is stiff and a litte lazy to return in the shut position. I'm wondering if I have a problem with the linkage on the engine itself. Any changes made to make it operate more smoothly ?
    I got the same kit on my swapped e36. Absolutely love it.
    Throttle is heavier, witch I like!
    But you have to install it right and maybe even get sone extra hardware or stronger nuts/washers, add some silicone to lub it "lol"
    If not installed and set properly! Throttle cable or Dbw delete arm will catch or rub. Leading to a jumpy pedal, or catchy "when stuck against smtg.".
    The advantage of dbw delete is with a lil custon braket'in'.You could easily re ise the e36 cruise control...
    Current:
    1983 E21 320I ''Trusty stead!'' Ireland engineering suspension, solid strut bar, all stock
    1995 E36 ///M3 ''Could it be love? it is!'' so Much $$$$$ Dumped on this car!
    2002 E39 ///M5 ''Angry little thing!'' dinan tune, dinan diff, supersprint exhaust system overhaul...
    The goners:
    1992 E30 318is slicktop ''Knuckles'' volvo lip, full stock
    1992 E36 320i ''You did good little one'' Full stock
    1988 w124 Mercedes 250d ''Best car ever...EVER!'' Bone stock!

Whatever you can ''faster'', I can do ''faster''!

My Cars
    07/95 E36 ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha View Post

Also, try disconnecting it from the ITB's and moving them manually. Are they sticking? Is there a hose in the way? Does the cable move fine when not attached?
    Use lube!
    "that's wut she said!"

Check clearance against intake manifold, adjust cable properly, get better hardware, switch washers around or even get better ones.
    Vacs install procedure did not work for me
    Current:
    1983 E21 320I ''Trusty stead!'' Ireland engineering suspension, solid strut bar, all stock
    2002 E39 ///M5 ''Angry little thing!'' dinan tune, dinan diff, supersprint exhaust system overhaul...
    The goners:

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Me keeping the DBW without cruise control and making my trips to Colorado will help me determine if I go to the manual linkage or not.

I'm always taking road trips in the M, just wanted a bit more power and a newer engine in there to do it all with now.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Me keeping the DBW without cruise control and making my trips to Colorado will help me determine if I go to the manual linkage or not. I'm always taking road trips in the M, just wanted a bit more power and a newer engine in there to do it all with now.
    I'm 95% sure you can keep DBW and cruise, should be able to confirm in 2-3 weeks once my swap is drivable.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    07/95 E36 ///M3
    If switching from DBW to CCK! Use aschillesmotorsport kit instead of VAC. FYI

-DO THE VALVE ADJUSTMENT ON THE CAR
    -REFRESH RODS LIKE SAID BEFORE
    -CHECK YOUR PRESSURE PLUGS AND FREEZE PLUGS WHILE ENGINE IS OUT
    -GET SOME GOOD HEADERS, INSTALL WHILE ENGINE IS OUT
    -NEW MOTOR MOUNTS ARE A MUST ''E36 M3'' ONES WILL WORK FINE WITHOUT SPACERS
    -REFRESH YOUR STEERING COLUMN
    -KNOW THAT THE EURO COOLANT TANK IS CHEAP! BUT THE BRACKET TO HOLD IT IS NOT! UNLESS YOU ARE A SKILLED BLACKSMITH AND CAN MAKE ONE.
    -UPGRADE YOUR LINES! ''ALL OF EM'' WITH STEEL BR LINES
    -STANDALONE SYSTEMS LIKE MINE ''TYPHOON'' WILL NOT INTERFEER WITH YOUR HEATER. AND CAN BE SET UP TO RUN 150RPM WITH AC ON...

NOW WHO THE F@K KNOWS WHAT AC COMPRESSOR I NEED TO USE WITH THIS S$IT @$$ S54 FOR MY OBD1 CLIMate CONTROL TO NOT DIE BAKED IN THIS CAR!!!!
    z3 m s54 compressor?
    e36 m3 ''bracket/ compressor and custom belt''?
    and what to do about the pressure switch?
    Current:
    The goners:

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiacbw View Post
    Air Conditioning and CEL: You can either build your own controller that interfaces to the body harness and CAN bus from the ms54 or just hard wire the AC (you will have idle problems and CELs hard wiring it). I sell ready to go boards for this.
    Alternatively you can run the DME in "E36" mode. The DME will then calculate how much torque the compressor uses instead of depending on the CAN bus for that info.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    I've done this a few times now. Hit me up if you have any questions on it. It's not terrible, but there are right (OEM-esque), good (budget), and wrong (ghetto) ways to do it. I've seen them all lol.
    Past Builds:
    S54 E36 Compact Build|Thread|IG|@_goldfinger|

Current Fleet:
    Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic over Black

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast