Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The centre console/armrest in an E36 is annoying.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    Agreed. My daily has one but my M3 doesn't. Annoying without the armrest. It stays down 100% of the time in my daily. The only time it gets in my way is when I need the larger cup holder under the armrest. Squished paper or Styrofoam cups make a mess when full.
    Arm rest is a +1. No need to hate on it.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I was just thinking how to elegantly delete this. Lower it any way, to put an armrest where the compartment would be. That would I think suffice all. ****Fiberglass and glue, fiberglass and glue, fiberglass and glue. The things a man has to learn after owning a bmw...

My Cars
    1995 US e36 M3 Coupe

95 w/o armrest +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobie1086 View Post
    my 95 has the old style cup holders and no armrest. Perfect for me

My 95 coupe does not have the rest either. I'm curious to try one, because it sort of looks like something is missing without it. Plus the cupholder / ashtray situation is so flimsy.

Are the armrests as flimsy as the rest of this kit or do they get bolted to something more solid?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 35nhma; 10-28-2020 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    That is the only complaint I have about this car. But it is a design oversight - it sits too high, and it's impossible for your gear shifting arm to avoid it, and pulling the handbrake requires an unintuitive reach over... not very German.

Is there a lower profile armrest alternative for long-limbed people such as myself? I was thinking about pulling it off completely, but it due to its design it'd look silly without the lid.

Has anybody modded their centre console and armrest to suit? If you've done something about it i'd love to see a picture or two.

In the States, where we drive on the left, the arm rest is cut short on the side where the right arm needs to be to operate the gear shift and parking brake.

Give us a picture of your arm rest and we can tell you if it is for LHD or RHD.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    The awkwardly high armrest is what drove me to put a stock height shifter in my M3, the car came with a shorter one.

When cruising I think the armrest is the perfect height. I have very long arms so I can keep my elbow on the rest and use all the hvac and radio controls. For sporty driving, I tend to flip it up out of the way.

I am glad my car has one. My R56 Mini didn't have an armrest, and that got to you after an hour on the road.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    I never thought it bothered me until I took mine out for some repair, and then noticed how much better the car feels to drive without it. I'm quite tall and I guess the armrest was always in the way when changing gears. Now I have the no armrest center console and it feels much better. I recommend everyone trying and seeing for themselves, which option do they actually prefer.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    The armrest is perfect height. If not, don't blaim the armrest, blaim your tiny frame.

Adjust seat height accordingly.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    The armrest is perfect height. If not, don't blaim the armrest, blaim your tiny frame.

Adjust seat height accordingly.
    No it's not. It might be for you, but it's not the case for everyone. I need to have my seat in the lowest position or otherwise I'll hit the roof, can't do much adjusting there.

My Cars
    1992 E36 325i NV
    My 92 coupe has an armrest. I also have the tape deck. I'm not sure, but I dont think cupholders was an option from the factory in Euro cars. Does anyone have cupholders with the armrest? Hows that working for you?

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by gsanvi View Post
    I never thought it bothered me until I took mine out for some repair, and then noticed how much better the car feels to drive without it. I'm quite tall and I guess the armrest was always in the way when changing gears. Now I have the no armrest center console and it feels much better. I recommend everyone trying and seeing for themselves, which option do they actually prefer.
    Why would you completely remove it? You know you can just flip it up and not necessarely have to completely remove it only to see if it's better, right?

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    I didn't do it intentionally, I just had the center console out for some other work I was doing around the car. You're right, but for me the flipped up armrest bothers me somehow. I just feel better without it.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by gsanvi View Post
    No it's not. It might be for you, but it's not the case for everyone. I need to have my seat in the lowest position or otherwise I'll hit the roof, can't do much adjusting there.
    It is indeed to me. I guess I have the correct E36 armrest frame.

IG:

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    In my not so humble opinion very few cars have a centre armrest at the correct height... Which is to be the EXACT same height as the armrest on the door! Anything else and you absolutely will have back issues over time. It's a one hundred percent guarantee, even if you younger and bendy folks think you are immune, you are in for a rude awakening eventually.

That said... The E36 armrests (if so equipped) are exactly perfect.

If you don't like the height of the armrest when you have 12 way adjustability on your seat, including height and angle of the seat pad, adjustable thigh support and tons of rake available in the back... then you are an outlier when it comes to human shapes. (at least the shapes of human adults in the 90s... data (and eyes) says waistlines now average at least 50% wider now. That would probably make the armrest uncomfortable too I expect.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    ^^
    Hence my earlier comment: don’t blame the armrest, blame you’re frame.

All jokes aside, to me it is perfect. My arm makes a straight angle from elbow to top of shifter while seat is at its lowest position.

IG:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12