Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The centre console/armrest in an E36 is annoying.

My Cars
    1997 328i Coupe

The centre console/armrest in an E36 is annoying.

That is the only complaint I have about this car. But it is a design oversight - it sits too high, and it's impossible for your gear shifting arm to avoid it, and pulling the handbrake requires an unintuitive reach over... not very German.

Is there a lower profile armrest alternative for long-limbed people such as myself? I was thinking about pulling it off completely, but it due to its design it'd look silly without the lid.

Has anybody modded their centre console and armrest to suit? If you've done something about it i'd love to see a picture or two.

My Cars
    97 328 vert, 05 330 vert
    I know exactly what you mean but I'm just living with it as I like the full width rest as opposed to previous cars without rests entirely.

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit
    There is a no armrest version of the center console.

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by morzada View Post
    There is a no armrest version of the center console.
    I'm willing to bet that 50+ % of e36 came with an armrest.

I just get annoyed at it when I brake hard and it falls into the resting position.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    I flip it up in town and leave it down on the highway.

'96 328i sedan >MODS<
    Check engine light, Rust on rocker panels, worn tie rods, pukes coolant from any orifice at any given time, Wobbly steering wheel, Open diff, Riding high like four wheel drive, windshield washer nozzle sprays other cars, non-sport seats, saggy glove box, key spins some times. Clear coat worn off where PO rested his arm on the door sill, SAP screams like a banshee, AC belt screams like its mother, black soot on tailpipe, loose exhaust cover, looser heat shield...TOO MANY TO LIST!

My Cars
    E36
    I haz no armrest.

works for me
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I don't have an armrest either....

My Cars
    97 328 vert, 05 330 vert
    My 2 previous E36's didn't have one either so if the 50% did thing bet is still on then based on my experiences I win! And I much prefer having one so I'm taking the one off my old car and putting it on this one.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    1997 328i auto convertible in Montreal blue and matching hardtop, with grey sports leather and far too much stereo installed!

My Cars
    '98 M3
    From what I can tell it is easy to find people willing to trade their no armrest console for an armrest one. I have considered this because the armrest is in my way 90% of the time, but I might miss it on the highway.

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxclever1753 View Post
    My 2 previous E36's didn't have one either so if the 50% did thing bet is still on then based on my experiences I win! And I much prefer having one so I'm taking the one off my old car and putting it on this one.
    That's weird. I've had two e36s and both had them One had premium package, the other doesn't. Idk, I've just never seen many without them.

My Cars
    Cars
    is the convertible one different from the coupe or sedan? because i find mine to be very comfortable and actually not very intrusive, and i rarely drive on the freeway.

My Cars
    97 328 vert, 05 330 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by acbx View Post
    is the convertible one different from the coupe or sedan? because i find mine to be very comfortable and actually not very intrusive, and i rarely drive on the freeway.
    I don't think the actual rest is any different but the console tray is different, the last few inches or so of the convertible armrest specific console tray sweeps upwards at the back. This is worth remembering as people on eBay will tell you otherwise.
    Last edited by Boxclever1753; 05-01-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    1997 328i auto convertible in Montreal blue and matching hardtop, with grey sports leather and far too much stereo installed!

My Cars
    1997 328i Coupe
    I got the problem of being an Aussie, so i'm guessing most available non-armrest consoles are LHD orientation, not RHD.

My Cars
    332ti, XJ, Planet Expres
    I just grab the rear OS handle. I'd kinda like an armrest but it'd just get in the way.

My Cars
    97 328 vert, 05 330 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    I got the problem of being an Aussie, so i'm guessing most available non-armrest consoles are LHD orientation, not RHD.
    RHD in the uk, you tried UK eBay sellers? Lots on there.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Cupholders and arm rests were an after thought.
    Both should be removed as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by RobertFontaine; 05-01-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Armrest gets in the way of the parking brake for me. Annoys me a bit at the beginning and end of each drive when I work the parking brake. BUT... as a new manual driver, I put my arm on the armrest when I am stopped at a stoplight and in neutral, so I don't suddenly think I'm driving an automatic and start revving and rolling in neutral like a fool. I'm a bit conflicted.

My Cars
    325iC
    In a US car the armrest is a life saver, i dont Know how anyone can think it gets in the way unless your forearms are the size of paint cans

My Cars
    E36 320i '91
    Since mine is an auto, I have almost never used the parking brake since I got the car and I don't have to shift anyway. The armrest is such a huge upgrade in driving comfort in my opinion, but I see how it can be quite bothersome in a manual.

My Cars
    A lot of BMW's
    my 95 has the old style cup holders and no armrest. Perfect for me

My Cars
    1997 328is
    I just want to emphasize that the armrest only gets in the way for the parking brake. It does not get in the way at all for shifting.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    That's only a problem if you're spending $1400 on a plane ticket so you can come to the US and buy one.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    ???

I leave the armrest down at all times, and it is never in my way. The only reason to lift it is to look in the storage bin that is underneath. I'm 6'1" and 240 lb., and the armrest is never in the way for any driving task that needs to be done. I don't understand what the problem could possibly be...

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i RHD
    Cheeseburger I'd be STOKED to swap out my 320 non centre console with yours.

Dubs from Eurocca

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    ???

I leave the armrest down at all times, and it is never in my way. The only reason to lift it is to look in the storage bin that is underneath. I'm 6'1" and 240 lb., and the armrest is never in the way for any driving task that needs to be done. I don't understand what the problem could possibly be...
    Agreed. My daily has one but my M3 doesn't. Annoying without the armrest. It stays down 100% of the time in my daily. The only time it gets in my way is when I need the larger cup holder under the armrest. Squished paper or Styrofoam cups make a mess when full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast