Thread: Considering buying a Z3 - Few questions

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL

Considering buying a Z3 - Few questions

A few months ago we bought an E38 740iL. We love the car, and I'm now looking at replacing my fun car (Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4) with something that's rear drive and fun.

I'm the sort of person who likes torque. I know that the Z3 came with a bunch of different options for engines over the years, which makes me think that a 2.8 or 3.0L variant would probably be what I want. Is it possible to swap in a 3.5L from say an E34 535i, or would that not be worth doing vs. say just throwing a supercharger on? Or given the small size of the car do the 2.8 and 3.0L engines produce sufficient torque to keep it enjoyable?

Also, do Z3s have significant road noise with the top up? I test drove a Boxster yesterday and was surprised at how much road noise the car had with the top up. My car right now has a lot more road noise than what I'd like, and I'm wanting to get away from that.

Thanks!
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6-speed
    1997 BMW 740iL
    2003 Chevy Avalanche

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    Generally, forced induction is the best way to get more horsepower out of a Z3. You might be interested in this: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ers-price-drop

Note that BMW achieves awesome low-end torque through the VANOS. In older cars, the VANOS O-rings are often worn, so the car will feel sluggish, but can easily be returned to excellent with the replacement of the VANOS seals.

I've noticed that the Boxster soft top has a lining in it which the Z3 soft top lacks. I would think that would help with noise. However, the mid-engine in the Boxster may overwhelm the noise from the headliner. I have no real complaints about road noise, but it's not a luxury car; it's a roadster.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    My 2002 Z3 3.0i has a lot of torque. It's not big block Chevy V8 torque, but it pulls very strong. I short shift (shift very early) and skip shift (1, 2, then 5) when just tooling around. On the So Cal freeways in slower traffic, if it does not dip below 35 MPH, I do not down shift from 5th. No need. If doing 50 MPH and you want to do 90 in a hurry, you really do not need to down shift from 5th. It just pulls.

The M cars are even better, but for a great deal (low $) car, look for a 2001 or 2002 with a 3.0 engine. For the 2.8 which was less HP than the 3.0, you can get a nice turbo or supercharger that gives them more than enough oomph (not that they are not fun in their own right stock).

About a month ago, my traction control went haywire (called DSC) and so I had to anti-slip for a while. It rained a bit a few weeks ago and I went out to get some take-out down the street. Cruising down a back road at 50 MPH, I decided to punch it a little in 5th gear, just to see what would happen in the wet with no traction control. Both tires broke loose and the back end started to come around a little. Nothing dramatic, just a little fun. I just backed off a little and counter steered and no worries. No one else was around and this is sort of a back country road. Anyway, I was very impressed with the torque, even in 5th.

In the 1980's, my dad had a 1966 Jag E-Type roadster. It had about 255 HP and was 4.2 liters. I was lucky to get to drive it a lot. While it was a little more powerful than my Z3, the Z3 is the most similar car to the Jag that I have ever driven. I've had a Vette with over 300 HP and an Avanti with nearly 500 ft/lbs or torque, but the Z3 has been the best car that I have had that I can use all the torque on tap.

As for Blacklane's comment about head liners, my 2002 has a nice head liner. I think this was added in 2000?

As for a 3.5 swap, uh... no, not worth it in my opinion, unless you have money to burn and really love the Z3 over the latest Z4. I don't know about Ohio, but it would be a pain in the butt to get that swap legal in CA. You would have to replace the entire engine control system, along with lots of other parts. Way too much effort to get 300+ HP.

Best advice, go test drive a few Z3s to see if you like them. Try a 3.0 and a 2.8. If you have over 10K to spend, look at the Ms too.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    I appreciate the detailed responses. The comment about the Z3 being the closest to an E-type is especially resonating with me, as I come from the Jaguar world. It sounds like if I get one I'd want the 3.0 since an M isn't in the price range, and supercharge it if I found the torque insufficient.

Then there's the question of roadster vs. luxury car. I tend to like luxury cars.

I'll just need to drive one, I think.
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6-speed
    1997 BMW 740iL
    2003 Chevy Avalanche

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    There is nothing luxurious about the Z3. If you want more luxury, consider the Z4 or a different brand. And the road noise is common with a lightweight car (minimal insulation) and especially a drop top with wide tires. But for a lot of us, that's part of the attraction.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    But for a lot of us, that's part of the attraction.
    I certainly understand that. I've more normally been the sort that appreciates having some noise, but I'm getting the point now where I'd prefer to have quiet most of the time. Maybe I'm just getting old, but also my current car has plenty of excess noise.
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6-speed
    1997 BMW 740iL
    2003 Chevy Avalanche

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I think you might be happier with a heavier car. MB SLK or Lexus SC430 might be options to look at.

T

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    I bought my 1999 M Roadster about 6 months ago. I was torn between 3.0 and M. Then an M-Roadster came on the market in my price range. Patience pays off.

If you go to the S-52 engine (pre 2001), the price tags are about the same as for the 3.0, and you avoid the bearing issue that "plagues" the S-54 engine, not to mention the premium price tag. The horsepower and torque in the S-52 is more than enough. So much so, that it can tear apart the subframe - LOOK for it before you buy!!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The Z3M is definitely the way to go if power and adding power are concerns for you. However, any Z3 roadster is going to be very noisy--top up or down. The Coupes solve this problem, but you loose the top down ability. 2009 and up Z4's have a power retracting hard top, which may be your best bet. How much do you want to spend?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    If a 740iL is too noisy for you, you should stay far far away from a Z3.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    If a 740iL is too noisy for you, you should stay far far away from a Z3.
    The 740iL is not too noisy for me at all. That's my wife's car. My daily driver is a highly modified Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4.
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6-speed
    1997 BMW 740iL
    2003 Chevy Avalanche

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying740iL View Post
    The 740iL is not too noisy for me at all. That's my wife's car. My daily driver is a highly modified Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4.
    Durrr ok I must have glassed over that. Well the Z3 isn't quiet but it's manageable.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Durrr ok I must have glassed over that. Well the Z3 isn't quiet but it's manageable.
    I'd have to wonder how it is compared to the VR4, I'm sure better. Solid subframe and differential bushings don't do much for noise reduction, plus the design of the car means a lot of exhaust noise ends up in the cabin and my tires on it are in terrible shape and undoubtedly making even more noise. Even still, I've owned much louder cars, I'm just a bit louded out. The 740iL is a nice couch. The goal is something torquier and more "pure" than the VR4, but perhaps also without making my fillings fall out.
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6-speed
    1997 BMW 740iL
    2003 Chevy Avalanche

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Go test drive a 2.8L and 3.0L and find out for yourself.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    There is nothing luxurious about the Z3. If you want more luxury, consider the Z4 or a different brand. And the road noise is common with a lightweight car (minimal insulation) and especially a drop top with wide tires. But for a lot of us, that's part of the attraction.

Terry
    +1 (especially on the highlighted sentence)

We enjoy the Z3 for getaway weekends but that is pretty much the limit. If heading across country or on any other extended trip we take the Taurus.
    1998 Z3, 2.8L 5-speed
    ------------
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." (Marcus Aurelius)