Thread: DIY e39 washer nozzle repair

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

Post DIY e39 washer nozzle repair

Hello everyone!

About 8 months ago, my wife had been driving my 2003 530i and evidently "hit something" causing a tire blowout and some kind of shrapnel that gouged out a rather large hole in the right front wheel well cover. Unfortunately, it also penetrated into the reservoir tank for the washer fluid. So, like a lazy butt, I sat on it for a while until I could finally muster the time to repair it myself. Fortunately, the washer motor was still working, and I only ended up needing to replace the tank. The down-side, was that my nozzles were spraying worse-and-worse over time.

Yes, I tried poking a fine wire down the tubes, blew them out, soaked in CLR, et al, but to no avail. They simply did not want to work correctly. The driver's side only had ONE jet that worked, and marginal at that. Passenger side had ONE good-working jet, and the other clogged.

Since I really didn't want to go through the expense of buying new ones (if I didn't have to), I thought I would do one last thing....pull them apart and find out what makes them tick.

I'm not sure this method will work on all of the nozzles out there, but this is what I did to get mine working again. Hope this helps!

Project: 2003 e39 530i washer nozzle cleaning and rebuild.
    Tools used: Small flat-head screwdriver, paper clip, tweezers, and a twisty-tie (from a bread bag).
    Time: about an hour (or less).

Here's the steps I took to do the repair:
    (1) With the flat-head screwdriver...pry (gently) underneath the obvious area as shown. There are two on each side of the nozzle.
    20140423_083505_pry.jpg

(2) Gently remove housing from base
    20140423_085443.jpg

(3) There are 4 (four) parts to each nozzle -- Top Housing, Base, Spring, Rubber. I placed each in a warm water bath with some Dawn dish soap. Set aside for about 30 minutes, rinse off, and then dry.
    20140423_085337.jpg

(4) With the twisty-tie (from the bread bag), remove about 2.5-3.0 cm (1" - 1 1/4") of the outside plastic to expose the wire. Straighten wire and insert into OUTSIDE nozzle jet - using in-and-out gentle thrusts to remove debris. Intermittently, rinse under warm water while doing this. Set aside, and do this for the other one.
    [Sorry, no pick on this one]

(5) Assembly -- I found it easiest to do it in this with the housing (top) sitting upside down and open upwards. With the paperclip, bend it out a bit until you have about 4-5 cm (about 2") stretched out, but with a curve at the end. Load spring onto paperclip as shown.
    20140423_085846.jpg
    The spring will drop onto a small resting platform on the left side of the unit as shown. Once positioned, remove paperclip.

(6) Using the tweezers (or the like) place the orange rubber onto the top of the spring.
    20140423_085621.jpg

(7) Gently place base over top of housing until "clicked" into place. Hook them up, and you're ready to go!

Mine worked out incredibly well. I wasn't very optimistic at first, but it was an easy job, and took less than an hour to do. The sprayers are working perfectly (all four) and without issue. Jets needed a little bit of aiming, but that's simple.

Hope this helps. Best regards!

My Cars
    z3
    Or just replace with E60 units

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Wow, thanks blackxs. You're such a charmer! Er...but I think you missed the point of the post.
    The point was to help those who may want to rebuild...rather than just purchase.
    Either way, the price between the e39 and e60 units are comparable, depending on who you buy from.

So, I suppose this will be my "welcome to the forum," kind of hazing? Well, if so, you've done your part.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by sdgfnp; 04-27-2014 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Didnt realize you were new. Other people dont look at thread dates, I dont look at post counts. Sorry, I try not to be a dick to new people until your "in" with the community

Apologies and thanks your DIY. Not everyone likes the E60 nozzles so this is a great DIY to fix ailing E39 nozzle

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    No worries, and I appreciate your apology. Best regards.

My Cars
    '85 635/'00 RD R50
    I have the same issue with the nozzles after being out of town for a while.

Thanks for the nice DIY, and welcome.

I'm considering E6x nozzles, as I'm looking at them on my E61, and don't hate them
    Tom
    Present: '06 530xiT | '00 RD R50 |'88 635CSI (project) | '85 635CSi

Past:
    '08 X3 l '98 Z3 MT l '95 M3 MT l'84 325e MT
    R.I.P.:
    '87 L6 | 85 635CSi MT | '80 320i MT

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimas View Post
    I have the same issue with the nozzles after being out of town for a while.

Thanks for the nice DIY, and welcome.

I'm considering E6x nozzles, as I'm looking at them on my E61, and don't hate them
    One of the best water based mods out there. I love it!
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i M
    Thanks muchly for your post. Mine were blocked and I could NOT get them unblocked till I found your thread. Ridiculously expensive to replace.

Re step 1. I inserted a couple of sharp wooden toothpicks on each side to clear clips then gently levered it open on top with a small flathead screwdriver.

But beware people. I dropped one of the wee tiny springs and it just disappeared - I just could not find it! I guess they are return valves? I suspect the gunk that was blocking the pump had jammed them closed. Going to try replacing with just one in place. Expecting a delay from washer but hopefully good enough.

If anyone can think of a replacement source for the springs please post!

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNonCents View Post
    If anyone can think of a replacement source for the springs please post!
    Totally agree on the post...nice job dissecting one of those nozzles!! It's too bad that the normal "failure" is that the housing breaks (right at those locking points) and lets that spring/valve section become displaced from seating properly... I'd rather they just clog up so we wouldn't have to shell out 50 bucks or whatever for new ones...I'd do this refurb all day long..!!!

Regarding that spring...maybe fab one from one by nipping a section off the spring from one of those non-working ball point pens we all have too many of laying around.....

tony
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Wrong thread.
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 09-21-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe