Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What floor mounts and sliders?

My Cars
    '93 325is '06 RSX

What floor mounts and sliders?

Just ordered a pair of Recaro spg's for the e36 and will be getting recaro side mounts. What floor mounts and sliders is everyone using?

My Cars
    BMWs
    We JUST released our Competition Floor Mount Adapters for the E36 and E46 chassis:

Motion Motorsport Competition Floor Mount Adapters

They are formed from CNC Laser cut steel, and feature a tough satin black powdercoat finish.

These pieces blend the adjustability of matrix-style pieces with the value of sheet stock formed units to create the ultimate blend of performance and value. This carefully toleranced low profile adapter will even fit perfectly in a fully carpeted interior without requiring the carpet cutting and tucking needed by other options, while allowing the range of mount options to take advantage of the space in a fully stripped interior.

The Floor Adapters drop right into place over the OE seat mount points, and feature a unique captive thread system to allow you to easily tighten down your race seat. They are a fantastic pairing with our innovative Side Mounts.

I know you're looking at the Recaro Side Mounts, but take a look at our Competition Side Mounts as well. They feature an offset design to put you on center, and rotating slot inserts in the base to allow easy fine tuned positioning without the usual hogging out of holes, slotting, or redrilling. Motion Motorsport Competition Side Mounts
    Last edited by MotionMotorsport; 04-19-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Facebook for special NEWS and OFFERS- Motion Motorsport LLC
    Instagram for GIVEAWAYS and CONTESTS- @MotionMotorsport

"By enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. Quality components for the street and track."

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    How does the front attach to the stock studs? More details about the captive thread system would be nice.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
    How does the front attach to the stock studs? More details about the captive thread system would be nice.
    There are mount tabs that reside underneath the top side of the adapter to attach the piece to the forward studs, along the same plane that the rear mount points attach (you can see access holes from the top on the rear bolts). The captive thread system is comprised of threaded inserts with anti-rotating/self-retaining features inserted and engaged from the underside of the piece, making a very convenient process for installing and a very strong joint that is secure against pull-out.
    Last edited by MotionMotorsport; 04-21-2014 at 09:39 AM.

My Cars
    '93 325is '06 RSX
    If im understanding correctly, all of the holes in the plate have threaded inserts, so i could bolt the seat straight to the bracket in the position i want and not need sliders. Is this correct or am i confused?

My Cars
    BMWs
    The holes in the adapter are unthreaded through holes. Hardware is included that attaches a locking thread geometry to the underside of the chosen holes that you will be mounting through. You can mount your brackets to any of the holes across the inboard/outboard matrix.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    Is that anti-sub bar in the pictures part of the floor mounts? Either way that looks like a quality piece, when I did my Recaro install in my Z4, I remember cursing the DE gods multiple times... and having to make many adjustments to the mounting pieces so everything would line up.

My Cars
    '93 325is '06 RSX
    It looks like the sub bar is separate. $39.99

My Cars
    BMWs
    Correct, the submarine belt bracket is a separately available piece, as many of the cars that have started running this piece mount belts directly to the body, per governing body rules.
    Last edited by MotionMotorsport; 04-21-2014 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionMotorsport View Post
    There are mount tabs that reside underneath the top side of the adapter to attach the piece to the forward studs, along the same plane that the rear mount points attach (you can see access holes from the top on the rear bolts). The captive thread system is comprised of threaded inserts with anti-rotating/self-retaining features inserted and engaged from the underside of the piece, making a very convenient process for installing and a very strong joint that is secure against pull-out.
    How do the mount tabs attach to the threaded studs? I'm just trying to understand the mechanism here because it isn't visible from the top. Pictures of the bottom would be helpful.

It would be awesome if this could all go on with the seat and side mounts already installed. There would be much less trial and error / bloody knuckles / swearing involved! Just measure and bolt it in.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
    How do the mount tabs attach to the threaded studs? I'm just trying to understand the mechanism here because it isn't visible from the top. Pictures of the bottom would be helpful.

It would be awesome if this could all go on with the seat and side mounts already installed. There would be much less trial and error / bloody knuckles / swearing involved! Just measure and bolt it in.
    LAWLrence,

Here is a view of how the front studs attach. The mount surface you see runs underneath the adapter along the inboard and outboard sides of the piece from front to back. Overall height is just over 0.75"

I suppose that you could pre-install the seat to Side Mounts to Floor Adapter and then drop the whole assembly into the car, then bolt it down. The only variable would be how your seat fore/aft position may (or may not) affect access to the inboard rear floor bolt. The step by step guide included with the kit details a method with our Side Mounts that makes it a relatively straightforward, quick and skinned-knuckle-free process to get a seat ideally situated and secured.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MotionMotorsport; 04-23-2014 at 05:04 AM.

My Cars
    '93 325is '06 RSX
    Im very interested in your mounts. Do you guys have anything for mounting the lap belts to the floor mount? If not, the VAC lap belt brackets should work with your mounts. Correct?

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank THE TANK View Post
    Im very interested in your mounts. Do you guys have anything for mounting the lap belts to the floor mount? If not, the VAC lap belt brackets should work with your mounts. Correct?
    Kinda same question. I think I've seen some people just drill a hole on the side mounts.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    BMWs
    Frank, those tabs should be perfectly fine. Usually, we use the Schroth rallye-style bolt in hardware kit, but there are many options out there.
    Last edited by MotionMotorsport; 04-23-2014 at 10:18 PM.

My Cars
    05 X5 + 95 M3
    Just make your own like I did, I think its kind of insane what people pay for simple sheet metal brackets.
    -05' E53 4.4i
    -95' E36 M3

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by e36cruiser View Post
    Just make your own like I did, I think its kind of insane what people pay for simple sheet metal brackets.
    Nice work, but people don't make their own seat brackets for the same reasons they don't make their own cars.

Neil

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionMotorsport View Post
    LAWLrence,

Here is a view of how the front studs attach. The mount surface you see runs underneath the adapter along the inboard and outboard sides of the piece from front to back. Overall height is just over 0.75"

I suppose that you could pre-install the seat to Side Mounts to Floor Adapter and then drop the whole assembly into the car, then bolt it down. The only variable would be how your seat fore/aft position may (or may not) affect access to the inboard rear floor bolt. The step by step guide included with the kit details a method with our Side Mounts that makes it a relatively straightforward, quick and skinned-knuckle-free process to get a seat ideally situated and secured.
    Looks like you need to use an open end wrench to snug it down? And it sounds like you need to insert the anti-rotating H/W. Either way, an installation link would help since it doesn't seem quite as intuitive based on the pictures provided as other options on the market
    -Chris

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    Quote Originally Posted by e36cruiser View Post
    Your picture shows exactly why people buy pricey, propertly designed brackets. Most manufacturers produce side mounts that won't cut up your lap belt...
    Last edited by LAWLence; 04-24-2014 at 02:43 PM.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    ^^^^^
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    Looks like you need to use an open end wrench to snug it down? And it sounds like you need to insert the anti-rotating H/W. Either way, an installation link would help since it doesn't seem quite as intuitive based on the pictures provided as other options on the market
    Some pictures of different installation configurations would also be really helpful.

I ended up doing VAC floor mounts, sub strap bracket, and belt L-brackets, and i'll be ordering your MM side mounts to test on the passenger side first. I was unsure of how your floor mounts would handle mounting the brackets on the edge so went with the known recipe of VAC. Hopefully i'll get the L brackets to not interfere with the MM offset inner side mount. If they interfere i'll go with rally strap/brackets. I'll post up pics when i have it together.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    Yes, an open end wrench would be used on that point. The anti-rotating hardware draws itself into place during tightening, so there is no special process with using the pieces. All together, a very easy and straightforward install, especially compared to headaches with standard alternatives which became the point of inspiration for developing the Side Mount and Floor Adapter setups. I would be happy to share the install guide when I am back from traveling on business mid next week.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Some pictures of different installation configurations would also be really helpful.

I ended up doing VAC floor mounts, sub strap bracket, and belt L-brackets, and i'll be ordering your MM side mounts to test on the passenger side first. I was unsure of how your floor mounts would handle mounting the brackets on the edge so went with the known recipe of VAC. Hopefully i'll get the L brackets to not interfere with the MM offset inner side mount. If they interfere i'll go with rally strap/brackets. I'll post up pics when i have it together.
    Do you have any specific requests for install config pics? Send me a PM, and I'd be happy to put something together. Our Floor Adapters also provide additional mount point real estate at the back over the others for taller drivers or those who will mount lap belts to the adapter base rather than drilling through the floor.
    Last edited by MotionMotorsport; 04-24-2014 at 11:56 PM.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Well the common configurations i could think of would be:

1. Aftermarket seats + stock seat belts
    2. Aftermarket seats + 6pt harnesses
    3. Aftermarket seats + stock seatbelts + 6pt harnesses

If you could provide plugnplay recipes for any or all of the above, people would pull the trigger much more quickly. I'm surprised VAC doesn't do this either. It's a big source of confusion and confusion leads to hesitation and hesitation leads to not buying. I'm after #3 myself.

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Well the common configurations i could think of would be:

1. Aftermarket seats + stock seat belts
    2. Aftermarket seats + 6pt harnesses
    3. Aftermarket seats + stock seatbelts + 6pt harnesses

If you could provide plugnplay recipes for any or all of the above, people would pull the trigger much more quickly. I'm surprised VAC doesn't do this either. It's a big source of confusion and confusion leads to hesitation and hesitation leads to not buying. I'm after #3 myself.
    Agreed on all counts. I sent a PM detailing exactly that as well.
    -Chris

My Cars
    '93 325is '06 RSX
    This may be a stupid question, but since the vac lap belt brackets are just sandwiched between the floor and floor mount, could i not just sandwich the harness between the floor and floor mount?

My Cars
    02 M3
    I can give you the dimensions I used and if you have access, or a friend, to a bridgeport vertical mill, you can make your own in 2-3 hours. Matrix style like the vac/evosport ones. Very easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast