Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What floor mounts and sliders?

My Cars
    05 X5 + 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
    Your picture shows exactly why people buy pricey, propertly designed brackets. Most manufacturers produce side mounts that won't cut up your lap belt...
    FYI: This is the passenger seat, was seeing how reclined I could get it. With it in "normal" driving position the bracket does not interfere with the lap belt hole. I also made these so they mount the seat as low as possible, dimensions were taken by me sitting in the seat with it on 2x4's and a tape measure. So you are correct, it isn't perfect.
    -05' E53 4.4i
    -95' E36 M3

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    I am curious. Shouldn't the crotch belt be directly bolted to the floor, with big washer underneath, as per FIA and SCCA rules?
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    ^if that's what your governing body rules dictate, then yes. Many dual purpose cars prefer not to put holes through the floor or trans tunnel for harness mount points, and thus use popular alternative means.

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Many BMW clubs will require, even for a simple HPDE, that a harness be installed "properly" and according to SCCA's specs. And a harness must be installed only the way its manufacturer specifies it. I am not persuaded this device would pass Boston's chapter tech inspection. Considering that a 5/6 point harness also requires the installation of a roll bar at minimum, chances are that the floorpan will be at least drilled, and at best welded anyway. Basically, if a safety device cannot be be installed properly, it should not be used.
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
    Many BMW clubs will require, even for a simple HPDE, that a harness be installed "properly" and according to SCCA's specs. And a harness must be installed only the way its manufacturer specifies it. I am not persuaded this device would pass Boston's chapter tech inspection. Considering that a 5/6 point harness also requires the installation of a roll bar at minimum, chances are that the floorpan will be at least drilled, and at best welded anyway. Basically, if a safety device cannot be be installed properly, it should not be used.
    Short of a full-on race car installation with properly welded floor plates and a fixed seat position (nice example below by member Kahl23),

Attachment 500223

I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer that bolt-on subframe bridge.

Its load path goes to the seat mounting points in the chassis, which are reinforced. In the case of a car with full interior (as shown), it's quite difficult to get a solid and accessible chassis mount for the subs. The bolt-on bridge would also facilitate proper positioning of the sub mounts for proper strap angle, since it can can be moved. (Note: Although perhaps not in small enough increments due to where the hole pairs are drilled?)

Sanctioning bodies have to come up with rules embodying simple solutions that are known to work, but especially that are practical to administer. I'm sympathetic to that, having been on both sides of it. However that doesn't mean that there aren't other solutions worth looking at.

Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NeilM; 05-06-2014 at 09:37 AM.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    I have the Scroth instructions for my 6 point, however it would be nice if someone could post up pictures of exactly where they attached the various belt points. I have the VSR roll bar if it matters.
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    big thumbs up for the MotionMotorsports seat mount brackets. i have both driver and passenger side versions in my M2 track car. make install so much easier than the sparco and momo brackets i also have. in addition their design moves the seats inboard toward the tunnel. a friend of mine and I are also getting the mounts for the drivers side of our race cars. (e30 and e36)

great product!

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    I wish they had a side by side comparison of the sparco and motion motorsport side mounts as my seat is very off center with the sparco ones.
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 2.0T WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionMotorsport View Post

Does anyone know if there is any better option than this to get a fixed back seat centered in an E36 coupe with full carpet?
    How much more centered can these get compared to the VAC or Bimmerworld stuff?

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by mrf View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any better option than this to get a fixed back seat centered in an E36 coupe with full carpet?
    How much more centered can these get compared to the VAC or Bimmerworld stuff?
    Not sure how much better, but Brey Krause as an all in one solution, sidemount/floor mount all in one.

Also, you can install E46 power sliders and install their side mounts that install to the OEM E46 power slider, so you could have power sliding fixed back solution.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    E36 M3 SEDAN
    What about the Planted kit? That worked well with carpet on my previous car.

To be honest, I do not like the MM kit listed in this thread. I have one now in my current car on the driver's side and while it does the job and seems great with so many mounting holes, the reality is that you will be mounting your seat all the way over to the right and have to deal with the U shape. While they provide locking nuts and you can play around with it, it makes it very hard, or almost impossible, to install a slider like the Recaro which requires the bolts to come through from the bottom. The planted floor mount, will most likely require some drilling (mine did), it still gives you enough space to mount things like bolts Up.

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 2.0T WRX
    Thanks for the replies.

I've had my fixed back seat hard mounted with no adjustment as I'm the only one who drives this car so don't care about sliders. The only thing that's paramount to me is how centered the seat is. So with that in mind, I guess there is no better option than MM for a fully carpeted E36?

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrf View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I've had my fixed back seat hard mounted with no adjustment as I'm the only one who drives this car so don't care about sliders. The only thing that's paramount to me is how centered the seat is. So with that in mind, I guess there is no better option than MM for a fully carpeted E36?
    I've had very good luck with the VAC floor and side mounts in my E36 with carpets. Depending on your seats you can get them really far inboard. I have some picture in me build thread. I have mounted seats both with and without sliders with this setup in multiple cars.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6-M3-STR-build
    Last edited by snakebit8; 07-13-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12