Thread: 01 740iL E38 No start, no crank, possibly EWS??

My Cars
    1995 325iS

01 740iL E38 No start, no crank, possibly EWS??

Hey guys!
    I have a 2001 BMW 740iL with a no crank, no start condition. I drove it earlier that day but when I went to start it later on that evening, nothing. Headlights come on, but do not dim, all other electronics work. Tapped on the starter/solenoid best i could with a 3/8 extension, but nothing. Took the battery out and took it to advance auto and had it load tested, and it passed as good. Tried starting it in Neutral, still nothing. Then, I figured it was the ignition switch, so I replaced that, but nothing changed. Ive checked all the fuses (under the hood and beside the battery) and everything seems ok. The key I have has never been able to unlock the doors, but since this problem Ive tried to reprogram the key (hold unlock, press lock 3 times) but with no luck. I then thought maybe a problem with the EWS module responding so I removed the module from the car, took the board out to look for any burnt spots but i cant find any.
    Is there anyway I can just get a used EWS module off ebay, and take it with my current DME and Key and have them synched?
    I also went ahead and checked the DME and starter relays (Under DME) for any burn marks, none.
    Any help is much appreciated!!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Try getting the cheapest spare key for testing

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    The plastic wallet key for my car was about $50 shipped from Cincinnati BMW and it required no coding to make it work. I did have to re-sync the EWS/DME before the engine would actually fire, but it would crank with the new key.

You don't really have any options for replacing the EWS with a used one. The rolling code table is burned into the ECU. You would have to replace them as a pair, but then your internal ID wouldn't match the other components and it would still require further coding.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    1995 325iS
    I cant replace the EWS module even if I found an exact replacement from the same year that has the all exact same serial numbers? (green print), except for the small etched number in the top right (im assuming that is the vehicle specific code)
    I'll try ordering a new key first!

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 2point5turbo View Post
    I cant replace the EWS module even if I found an exact replacement from the same year that has the all exact same serial numbers? (green print), except for the small etched number in the top right (im assuming that is the vehicle specific code)
    I'll try ordering a new key first!

No. There is a unique table of rolling codes stored in permanent memory in the EWS. When the EWS is first connected to the car, it writes that code to "one time use" memory in the DME. If you replace the DME with a brand new one, this transaction happens again. But once a DME has a table in it, it stays there. Swapping out the EWS will leave you with a DME that won't respond and won't turn the fuel pump on.

There may be some really hard core coders out there that can wipe out the DME table and copy it from a different EWS, but I'm not aware of anyone that has succeeded in that.

Even still, each component of the immobilizer system, even the stupid little antenna ring around the key hole, has your vehicles' unique ID programmed into it. If you change the EWS you have to either get all the other pieces with it, or you need to recode a bunch of stuff. Some of it I'm not sure can even be recoded.

You can read about my experiences with keys here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...for-600s/page4
    Last edited by daytonatrbo; 04-14-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Does the gear indicator work when moving thru the gears...it show right in the cluster? If not..its the range switch on the side of the trans.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    1995 325iS
    Yes I can shift thru all the gears and the indicator works properly. I've tried starting it in all gears.

My Cars
    1995 325iS
    Well turns out it was the key guys, went and got a replacement and she fired right up!

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    If you got the plastic key, you can bust the chip out of it and glue it into your old key.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Glad it worked!

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    I am having the same problem with my 2001 e38: no start, no crank. I noticed that on the first start attempt, the cluster showed a "Transmission FailSafe ..." message. I exchanged the battery with a good known one, but same story. All 4 keys show the same behavior.

However, the gear indicator in the cluster does not change when changing gears with the key in the on position.

Could this be an indication that the transmission computer is toasted?

My Cars
    E38
    This is a long shot but did you get the car started? I'm having similar issue.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedison View Post
    This is a long shot but did you get the car started? I'm having similar issue.
    The original posters have not been on the forum for years. Have you read thru questions asked within these threads about trying a different key, checking the cluster to see if the transmission position is displaying correctly? What is the condition of your battery? Do you have any warning lights on the dash?

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    The original posters have not been on the forum for years. Have you read thru questions asked within these threads about trying a different key, checking the cluster to see if the transmission position is displaying correctly? What is the condition of your battery? Do you have any warning lights on the dash?
    Thanks for your response. I will more than likely start a new thread with more specifics on my situation and the ultimate outcome.. Again, I have a 2001 740il... In short, I was doing interior work on the car over the last several weeks and disconnected/reconnected the battery countless times (sometimes with key in ignition). I was also trying to wire an aftermarket radio and I spliced into a Red power wire and Brown ground wire at the ignition. The radio did work.. Prior to me doing any of this work, the car was mechanically fine with no lights on dash.
    I tried to start the car for the first time in over a month the other day and got the "no start, no crank" .. Lights on dash, locks work, silent faint alarm under hood...

Battery stayed charging on a tender so it was showing 12.6v (1st time I tried to crank, tender was still connected under hood.. then I disconnected it)
    I removed the EWS unit and put the 30 amp fuse in a still nothing
    i only checked fuses in trunk and visible 3 rows of fuses under the hood.. they were all good
    I did not check to see if the gears were showing up on dash (i think they were)
    I didnt check ignition or starter
    I did have the thin black wallet key and I tried it with no luck either

I scanned the car using a foxwell nt520 and tons of faults showed up... engine dde digital, transmission, ews immobilizer, ihka, etc.. I cleared them out on the scanner..and waited about 30min..
    i tried to start the car again and experienced a total "shut down" effect... as if lights were being turned off at a stadium sound.. It felt like the kill shot.. No power anywhere to the car, even though the battery was still reading 12v.. I left the car alone and came back next morning and it had power again.. It had awaken from the dead, but still no crank start..

I had the car towed to my indy the next day and I hope to hear back from them tomorrow. I have read similar stories, but many of them don't tell the outcome.
    using a different key and recoding/swapping the EWS/DME seem to be the main solutions???

As I await feedback from my indy, my ultimate question is can this dreaded electrical issue that leads to a no start/no crank cause what was a perfectly running car to not operate again? or at least not the same? I only ask because so many of these no crank/no start did not end

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Total shutdown is not an EWS problem - it was probably an ignition switch or battery connection problem. 12V is more-or-less a dead battery so it could just as likely be a failed battery problem.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    E38
    Thank you.. I will report back when I have info

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Have you checked the starter?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    What was the ultimate conclusion with this issue?