RM European Auto Parts

Thread: New RAD: Fan shroud.. Problem?

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525

New RAD: Fan shroud.. Problem?

Hello all,
    So I finally got around to putting in a new radiator, I got the Spectra Premium. Yeah I know probably going to get alot of "its not oem blah blah", I just wanted to detail what I dont like about the radiator.

The only thing Im not liking is the metal clip holders, that hold the two plastic clips on the bottom of the fan shroud are too high. This causes the Fan shroud to sit up about a 1/4 inch than it did with the BEHR Rad I took out. There is about a half inch of clearance from the fan at the bottom, and a full inch at the top.

The Fan shroud is already kindof beatup from the previous owner, So I was thinking about taking a dremel to it, extending the clip about another 1/4 to allow the clips to slide into the metal clip housings all the way. I could alternatively, remove some metal from the clip housings themself, would be the same effect.

I just want others who buy the spectra premium rad to be aware of this.

I have an e39 97 528i. So unless there is a subtle difference in the fan shrouds of this year to the next, be aware of this.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Don't feel bad, we have a local company here called "ATP", they sell a brand named ATEC. It says made in Germany but we all know that it is made in Russia. It too has to be modified to fit, the neck has to be shaved out on the inside to be able to seat the cap. They have other products, and most of it is garbage, but you cannot tell that to cheap people who thinks that it is okay to put cheap parts in an originally expensive car. So after a couple of months I get to hear the complaints on how that part has failed.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Okay, So this bugged me enough that I got under the car and looked around. The Spectra Premium radiator had the correctly shaped key holes for the original plastic holders. So I cut off(Rather clipped the aluminum pop rivets, and pryed the rest out with a screw driver) the aluminum clip holders that came with the Spectra radiator, and slipped in the original stock plastic clip holders, now it sits perfect.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    FYI this radiator is still going strong. Put about 33k on it so far.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Good to hear, sometimes the cheap parts do make it work for a while, but other times not. So keep your fingers crossed, and let's see how long it does last.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member