Thread: 525i fuel leak and gas gauge problem

My Cars
    2003 525i

525i fuel leak and gas gauge problem

so my car has suddenly started to spill gas after fill ups. runs down on driver side in front of rear wheel. also gas gauge became erratic and now just sets at 1/2 tank. damn, damn, damn. any ideas?????

My Cars
    z3
    Sounds like a vent may be clogged or it isnt telling the pump to shut off at the correct time and it is over-filling. If its leaking on the exterior of the vehicle I imagine it has to be from overfilling. Does it "leak" when you fill it up to 3/4 instead of full?

Gas gauge could be a few issues, best to pinpoint your other fuel tank issue before delving into that

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    no if we don't fill it up to the top we are fine, but with gas gauge not working this is a pain. where are vents located? we try to gauge how many gallons we have used and then do one gallon less. if we go over, fuel pours out in front of rear tire on drivers side. first started with fill up and pump shutting off level. now going over the magic level results in a pour. i plan to pull seat tomorrow as folks talk about wires to tank, etc. appreciate any thoughts.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Never had that overfill issue. Are you sure it leaks at the driver side and not at the passenger side? My fuel cap is on the passenger side.

On the gas gauge issue, try removing the connectors and cleaning the contacts underneath the rear seat(both left and right). Also vacuum off any dirt around the area. That fixed my fuel gauge problem.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    definitely drivers side. more a leak than over fill. will look at connectors. will pull seat and wheel to see where leak comes from. crazy!!!!!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    so it appears that the gas flows out from some unknown location on the drivers side just in front of rear tire. i can see little but does not appear to be damage. it comes from up high on the tank but without removing tank? dont know what is tucked up in that area?

My Cars
    1995 bmw 525i sedan
    Hello everyone I know this an old post, but I am having similar problems on my 1995 525i. When I fill up gas starts pouring out on the passenger side under the back wheel where I pump the gas. Also the fuel gauge is stuck on 3/8 of a tank. If I fill up or put more gas then 3/8 of a tank the fuel gauge will go up, but once it the gas level goes back down to 3/8 it just stays there unless I put $15 in gas or more.

The smell of gas is very strong in the car and in trunk. What could be causing this problem? Please be detailed and reply to someone who is a novice on repairs of this nature. In other words do not reply with mechanic lingo that I might not understand! Lol

Thanks
    Bobby

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    You should really post this in the E34 forum, since it's a '95 525i. One of the Mods here may move it over there.

Not too sure on the E34 fuel tank set-up, but it sounds like, if the leak only happens when filled to capacity, that one of the tubes (vent or other) at the top of the tank is leaking. If there's a tank cover under the rear seat (like in the E39's) you could remove it and look in and see if anything's going on.
    Last edited by Ed CT; 01-21-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    The e34's have a metal tank under the trunk floor. Access cover is in the trunk. Two hoses going to the sender/pump could be leaking. More often than not, the metal vent tube nipples rust and start leaking. It could also be the filler neck, but usually the smaller vent tubes.
    The float in the plastic sender is getting hung up. Some times the metal rod that it rides up and down on gets a little bent, or the wires that guide it are damaged some how.
    There are fixes for both on various e34 forums (e32 as well).

Like this:
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/fuel...el_sender.html
    Last edited by m735is; 01-21-2019 at 08:18 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Daily Double Prize: 2014 zombie thread resurrect, AND its for the wrong chassis! Well done.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)