Thread: Need Help REPLACING PARKING SENSOR (08 BMW X3)

My Cars
    2008 BMW X3

Cool Need Help REPLACING PARKING SENSOR (08 BMW X3)

Friends, would any of you be able to tell me, with very good instructions, how to replace the parking sensors on my 2008 BMW X3? I ordered the replacement sensors and I don't want to take it to the dealership because they'll charge an arm and a leg. Please Help!!!

Thanks!!!

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    2008 BMW X3
    Thanks for the links!:-)

I've seen those before, but because the bumpers are completely different, they're not as helpful. I need help taking off the bumper to get to the sensors.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Try this one....it shows how to remove a bumper for a 2006 X3.

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x3/...h-2006-x3.html

You might want to look in bimmerfest.com. This forum has tons of X3 info.
    Current Garage:
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther

My Cars
    2008 BMW X3
    That is PERFECT!!! Thanks a lot, 91e!

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    No problem...good luck.
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    Thread lift: Just wanted to add that I managed to change the rear right sensor lying underneath the bumper.

I only had to remove one 10 mm screw so I could force the plastic at the bottom out a bit. I then managed to squeeze my arm up until the elbow and hold the sensor with my right hand. With one finger I pushed the first retaining clip away. Keeping pressure I could then push the other away and the sensor was loose. The wires were quite long so it was easy to take it apart.

I probably saved 1,5 hours not having to detach the whole bumper. Should be noted that I have size 8 hands and not the biggest forearms. I used a headlight that I mostly held between my teeth. Some of it was working blindly. Hope this can save someone else some time.

My Cars
    BMW X3, 5 Series

faulty sensor

Hi,

I need to repace one of my rear sensors and was wondering if you can tell me which screw you removed....some guidance would be great!! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by nikasp View Post
    Thread lift: Just wanted to add that I managed to change the rear right sensor lying underneath the bumper.

I only had to remove one 10 mm screw so I could force the plastic at the bottom out a bit. I then managed to squeeze my arm up until the elbow and hold the sensor with my right hand. With one finger I pushed the first retaining clip away. Keeping pressure I could then push the other away and the sensor was loose. The wires were quite long so it was easy to take it apart.

I probably saved 1,5 hours not having to detach the whole bumper. Should be noted that I have size 8 hands and not the biggest forearms. I used a headlight that I mostly held between my teeth. Some of it was working blindly. Hope this can save someone else some time.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    I fail to find any good pictures showing where it was but it was very close to the PDC unit itself. I was laying with my head directly underneath the bumper (glasses is a good thing as you will get dirt and dust directly in your face).
    It was a hex head screw that snapped since it was badly rusted so replaced with a new generic one. The screw held down the bumper with a plastic "arm" and it was looking like 11 or 15 (hex head with washer) in this link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6210 Good luck. I changed the one on the right, opposite side of the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by amz12 View Post
    Hi,

I need to repace one of my rear sensors and was wondering if you can tell me which screw you removed....some guidance would be great!! Thanks!!

My Cars
    BMW X3, 5 Series
    Thanks took it to local garage and had it put on the ramp. Done in less than 20 mins.
    Thanks again!!

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    Nice, glad that I could help a bit! Especially car/BMW forums are the best! (And of course I did not use a headlight, it was a flashlight - my bad english...)

Quote Originally Posted by amz12 View Post
    Thanks took it to local garage and had it put on the ramp. Done in less than 20 mins.
    Thanks again!!
    Last edited by nikasp; 01-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.