Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project 325 - Dual purpose 325is STX autocross and HPDE/TT

My Cars
    97 328is
    Thanks a lot. With those numbers I get a bit of fender liner rub on the front. same wheels as yours +12mm spacers up front.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniils View Post
    Thanks a lot. With those numbers I get a bit of fender liner rub on the front. same wheels as yours +12mm spacers up front.
    Smaller spacers? I have some 12mm's that I am test fitting on the front, but they seem too big. I would get outside fender lip rub.
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    97 328is
    For me the outside fender doesn't rub so far. I haven't autocrossed yet though. I did some figure 8s in the parking lot to the point of understeer and it didn't rub, so hopefully it won't rub. The reason why i went with 12mm spacers is because I seen 2 threads 1 by vorshlag and another by apex saying that in order to fit 17x9 255's you need front camber plates with 12mm spacers and rear fender roll.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    For me the outside fender doesn't rub so far. I haven't autocrossed yet though. I did some figure 8s in the parking lot to the point of understeer and it didn't rub, so hopefully it won't rub. The reason why i went with 12mm spacers is because I seen 2 threads 1 by vorshlag and another by apex saying that in order to fit 17x9 255's you need front camber plates with 12mm spacers and rear fender roll.
    Yea, I read the same exact thing, actually I heard 15mm spacers...so I bought 15mm's and they were way too big, the shop that did my setup said I didn't need them.

I've ran 2 10 run events and a test & tune (~15 runs) with my setup listed with really no issues.

I do think I will add small spacers though just to keep the tire from rubbing my beautiful TCKline shock bodies
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    1993 325is
    If the tire's rubbing the strut, its because of either wheel flex or strut flex. The tire only deflects at or near where its touching the ground. By the time it rotates back to the top, its back to its original static position.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    It really depends on your suspension and offset. With TCK S/A coilovers and dforce LTW5s (17x9 et41) this is the clearance I get with 12mm spacers.

IMG_20140620_165941.jpg

I can't fit my index finger between the wheel lip and strut body, but the Dforce wheels probably have more of a lip than apex ones. No way I could run no spacer.

It does rub at full lock, but it is extremely rare you are at full lock in an autocross. I found it helped to loosen the fender liner bolts and push it towards the body, then retighten them. I still have an issue with rubbing the frame on one side that I may have to fix with more spacer.

My Cars
    Black
    Don't forget about steering rack stops. This is what they're for.

My Cars
    97 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by justinco View Post
    Front camber: -3.5*
    Front toe: Neutral
    Front ride height: ~5.5" measured at jack point to ground

Rear camber: -2*
    Rear toe: ~.10* (I think)
    Rear ride height: ~6.25" measured at jack point to ground

I'll try to snap a pic of the alignment printout soon and post it.

The front tires will rub the inner fender well at full lock (no spacers) and I have seen small tire marks on the shock bodies. I guess from when the tire is flexing it is hitting the shock body. I need to get some small spacers to resolve those issues.

The back clearance is good after getting the fenders rolled tighter (after cleaning all the rubbery crap out from the inside lip). The tires will hit the top of the wheel well if I bottom out fully. But, that only happened when I had the rear shocks set to full soft.

Umm by the way did you measure it with rubber circle things on your jacking points? I know some people take them off

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Umm by the way did you measure it with rubber circle things on your jacking points? I know some people take them off
    Mine are off, never had them lol

My Cars
    97 328is
    What tire pressures were you running?

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    What tire pressures were you running?
    30f/30r

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Finally got my latest event edited and the video is up! Sparco seats are installed along with new brake rotors and Ferodo DS2500 pads all around. Hopefully the car will stop better now...

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Had an event yesterday, had a bit of a break with Nationals going on so no local events scheduled.

The new Ferodo brake pads worked out great and the seats are awesome. Video coming soon.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    And the video is up. My little brother was in town so he got to co-drive in his first autocross ever.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Ok, so trying to put together winter plans. I am going to be doing more track events next year (HPDE/TT hopefully) while still sticking to STX ruleset. I realize this car is not as nationally competitive in STX as it used to be (because twins), so I will be shooting for a setup that works good enough for autox while still being stable for higher speeds on the track (not sure there is a perfect compromise here?).

Anyways, here is what I have on my list so far:

• Install Turner motorsports shorty headers
    • Install TMS performance chip (already have)
    • Get custom lightweight exhaust installed
    • Install Turner motorsports power pulley kit (these are STX legal right?)
    • Install ZHP shift knob
    • Install lightweight battery and brackets

I think that about covers most of the prep I can do for STX. I don't plan on getting a short shift kit as I'm not sure how much benefit that will be. Should become even more fun to drive after some power adders and weight reduction

My Cars
    97 328is
    What are you planning to do for your exhaust? 2.5 inch or 3 inch? how many/what kind mufflers? Do you have 92db limit at your autox pad?

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    What are you planning to do for your exhaust? 2.5 inch or 3 inch? how many/what kind mufflers? Do you have 92db limit at your autox pad?
    Not sure exactly on the exhaust yet. I talked to my shop about it briefly when the car was getting setup previously. They make their own lightweight setup for autox that meets our 99db sound limits (not sure if it's 2.5" or 3"). Don't think a muffler was included, just pipe and resonators. I'll update when I know more and get closer to doing it.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Video update! Hopefully start getting to the new upgrades at the beginning of the new year.

My Cars
    M10*dead* :(,
    any plans to run any of the tours/pros next year?

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ViEtNaMeEh View Post
    any plans to run any of the tours/pros next year?
    Yea, I will be running our local champ tour at Pikes Peak this year, just like the last couple years (although we have had Match Tours last 2 years).

I have in the plans to attend spring Nats as well as Solo Nats. Not sure about the pros yet, we will see.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Well, got a lot of stuff happening w/ my e36 next month.

Parts now in my hands:

• TMS chip
    • TMS shorty headers
    • Bimmerworld race exhaust and Y-pipe
    • Lightweight battery

Getting everything installed in late February. Only thing I don't have yet is the power pulley kit from Turner (lightweight).

Excited to see what I can do with the car in the upcoming season!

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Quote Originally Posted by justinco View Post
    Well, got a lot of stuff happening w/ my e36 next month.

Parts now in my hands:

• TMS chip
    • TMS shorty headers
    • Bimmerworld race exhaust and Y-pipe
    • Lightweight battery

Getting everything installed in late February. Only thing I don't have yet is the power pulley kit from Turner (lightweight).

Excited to see what I can do with the car in the upcoming season!
    You'll love the chip, if for nothing else the extra speed in 2nd gear. Im looking forward to what you say that exhaust setup does to the low end torque. It's the same exact setup I've been wanting to do, but am afraid of a drastic torque loss.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by NJohc View Post
    You'll love the chip, if for nothing else the extra speed in 2nd gear. Im looking forward to what you say that exhaust setup does to the low end torque. It's the same exact setup I've been wanting to do, but am afraid of a drastic torque loss.
    Yea, I'm looking forward to all the power adders, should be good all around I am thinking.

Got the video up of my TMS shorty headers, install coming later this month!

My Cars
    1997 cosmos sedan
    Sweet looking headers Buddy!
    Subscribed!

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by c0sm0L0c0 View Post
    Sweet looking headers Buddy!
    Subscribed!
    Thanks! Can't wait to get them installed

Next video of the other parts coming soon.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast