Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project 325 - Dual purpose 325is STX autocross and HPDE/TT

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    I bought a 1994 325i based on false information that that was the last year you could get an LSD.
    Last edited by MatthewH; 07-16-2014 at 10:34 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Interesting, I thought there was an option for a vanos 325 without a sunroof but maybe I was just making it up. That would make finding the "right" 325 a hell of a lot easier.
    Last edited by Crustashio; 07-17-2014 at 07:11 AM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    For STX I'd want an early 1997 non-sunroof, no option 328 without side air bags. I don't think it is definitely the best option. A good argument could be made for a 1993 325.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustashio View Post
    The more I read these threads, the more I want to ditch my SM/BSP M3 and find a 325 for STX + track use. The amount of entries in STX is insane these days, even at my local events. Is yours a sunroof car?
    Mine has a sun roof. STX is almost always our biggest local class, one of the draws to switch to it for me.
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Minor ride height adjustment needed, but tomorrow is go time Hopefully nothing falls apart!

1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    STX car/03 E39 525i Spt
    Looks great! Good luck this weekend

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by e36ohio View Post
    Looks great! Good luck this weekend
    Thanks Kale, and thanks for all the help.

After tomorrow I am going to get under the fenders and work on getting the undercoating off (assuming it's still there). Talked to the shop and they are checking w/ the tech on the fender rolling process.

Then I'll get the ride height set more accurately and have the alignment re-checked.

Test 'n tune is happening on Aug. 3rd, so I will have lots of time to play with the suspension then!

My Cars
    97 328is
    Can you post a pic of your fenders from inside&out when you finish them please?

PS Lovin this build thread, helped me out a lot with my build.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Well, yesterday was a success in more ways than one. The car drove great and nothing fell apart or broke Engine seemed to do fine, but I did notice a clicking/ticking sound from the engine at idle. I seem to remember that always being there though...

I went in to the day not caring much about being competitive...so what did I do? I won the 17 car DS class and was 6th overall in PAX (~70+ drivers). I was a little surprised, and even questioned at awards if my car was legal for the DS class (this is BMWCCA fyi). So, that has me all paranoid that I did something wrong with our RMC BMWCCA car classification (http://autocross.rmcbmwcca.org/Class.php) and accidentally ran in the wrong class. However, every time I plugin my upgrades (suspension parts, wheel/tires, LSD basically) I always end up with 94 pts, which is max for the DS class...sigh.

I did have some tire rubbing in the drivers rear wheel well on the drive to the event. I ended up raising the rear end another 1/4" at the event in the morning just to be safe. Had no rubbing during the event and also not once on the drive home. I did stiffen the rear bump from 6 clicks to 9 clicks after raising the rear too, so maybe I just need to run the bump at my "racing" stiffness all the time to avoid rubbing...

Where the wheels are rubbing in the rear:

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by justinco View Post
    I went in to the day not caring much about being competitive...so what did I do? I won the 17 car DS class and was 6th overall in PAX (~70+ drivers). I was a little surprised, and even questioned at awards if my car was legal for the DS class (this is BMWCCA fyi). So, that has me all paranoid that I did something wrong with our RMC BMWCCA car classification (http://autocross.rmcbmwcca.org/Class.php) and accidentally ran in the wrong class. However, every time I plugin my upgrades (suspension parts, wheel/tires, LSD basically) I always end up with 94 pts, which is max for the DS class...sigh.
    Those points based classing systems don't work. They also aren't national in the BMWCCA--at least my region uses a different one.

The inner fender there is where my tires always rub too. Either more static camber or higher offset wheels.
    Last edited by MatthewH; 07-20-2014 at 02:46 PM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post
    Those points based classing systems don't work. They also aren't national in the BMWCCA--at least my region uses a different one.

The inner fender there is where my tires always rub too. Either more static camber or higher offset wheels.
    Yea the point system is...different. Anyways, I got my class clarified and I am good.

I also found out, after getting the tires off yesterday, I was actually rubbing on the rear part of the fender on the drivers side, not in the wheel well (well was being hit when bottoming out). This was due to the fender roll not being tight enough, so the tire was hitting the edge where the lip stuck out.

I had the shop do my fender rolling (it was cheap) but they did not clean the crap off the inside of the fender lip before rolling, so it was like a half fender roll I ended up cleaning out all the rubbery gunk in the fender lip yesterday, and the shop is going to re-roll it for me to get a tighter roll.

Here is a pic of where it was hitting the fender lip, toward the back of the car:

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Glad you had fun with the car. It seems there's always someone questioning how you did when you did very well. Nature of the beast. Great handling from these things considering the strut suspensions.

I think I'd rather have a point system. But I'm thinking of the SCCA. I'm not sure how BMWCCA does it exactly however.
    Last edited by Joshh; 07-21-2014 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshh View Post
    Glad you had fun with the car. It seems there's always someone questioning how you did when you did very well. Nature of the beast. Great handling from these things considering the strut suspensions.

I think I'd rather have a point system. But I'm thinking of the SCCA. I'm not sure how BMWCCA does it exactly however.
    Indeed these cars handle well, felt like I had tons of grip compared to cars I have driven in the past.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    What are you running for rear camber? My rear RH is at 12.5" and I've never hit the inside of the fenderwell like that.

Engine seemed to do fine, but I did notice a clicking/ticking sound from the engine at idle. I seem to remember that always being there though...
    99% of M5x/S5x (excluding S54) motors have valve tick at autocross, some much more than others. Nothing to worry about as long as it goes back to normal after the event.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    What are you running for rear camber? My rear RH is at 12.5" and I've never hit the inside of the fenderwell like that.

99% of M5x/S5x (excluding S54) motors have valve tick at autocross, some much more than others. Nothing to worry about as long as it goes back to normal after the event.
    Many also overfill on oil a little bit with varying results.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    -2* camber in the rear. Where are you measuring your ride height to?

Just to be clear, I only rubbed on the inside of the fender well when the shocks were set to full soft and half soft. Once I stiffened them for autox I did not rub anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mrazny

Thanks, that is good to know.

My Cars
    STX car/03 E39 525i Spt
    Quote Originally Posted by mrazny View Post
    Yup, I usually just put in an even 7 quarts, with no lifter tick *knocks on wood*

My Cars
    E36 M3
    -2* camber in the rear. Where are you measuring your ride height to?

Just to be clear, I only rubbed on the inside of the fender well when the shocks were set to full soft and half soft. Once I stiffened them for autox I did not rub anymore.

.[/COLOR]
    Center of the wheel to fender. At full shock compression (tested with the spring removed) I wasn't touching anything after a roll.

The front for me is a different story. I'm rubbing all over the place, moreso on the passenger side when turning right. I've got a decent section of undercoating worn away. I'm thinking a spacer would fix it but I don't have studs long enough to test it.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Center of the wheel to fender. At full shock compression (tested with the spring removed) I wasn't touching anything after a roll.

The front for me is a different story. I'm rubbing all over the place, moreso on the passenger side when turning right. I've got a decent section of undercoating worn away. I'm thinking a spacer would fix it but I don't have studs long enough to test it.
    With 20 year old cars, I don't like measuring to fenders. Too many potential pieces that can be off side to side. I'm using the jacking points.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    I rub a bit on the front inside as well, but only at full lock. No spacer at all on the front (a small spacer would probably help me too, but then maybe cause outside fender issues).

Video is up of the maiden voyage of Project 325!

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Seats! Sparco Sprint V's with mounts and drivers side slider (used in great condition):

My Cars
    Bicycle
    What kind of seat base did you get?

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by justint5387 View Post
    What kind of seat base did you get?
    Everything is Sparco. Came already assembled, just need to drop them in the car and bolt up.

My Cars
    97 328is
    So whats your final alignment and ride height, if you don't mind sharing.
    I'm currently doing suspension on my stx 328 and not having much fun, everything rubs all over.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniils View Post
    So whats your final alignment and ride height, if you don't mind sharing.
    I'm currently doing suspension on my stx 328 and not having much fun, everything rubs all over.
    Front camber: -3.5*
    Front toe: Neutral
    Front ride height: ~5.5" measured at jack point to ground

Rear camber: -2*
    Rear toe: ~.10* (I think)
    Rear ride height: ~6.25" measured at jack point to ground

I'll try to snap a pic of the alignment printout soon and post it.

The front tires will rub the inner fender well at full lock (no spacers) and I have seen small tire marks on the shock bodies. I guess from when the tire is flexing it is hitting the shock body. I need to get some small spacers to resolve those issues.

The back clearance is good after getting the fenders rolled tighter (after cleaning all the rubbery crap out from the inside lip). The tires will hit the top of the wheel well if I bottom out fully. But, that only happened when I had the rear shocks set to full soft.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast