Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project 325 - Dual purpose 325is STX autocross and HPDE/TT

My Cars
    1992 325i
    I've done the same thing but threw the rule book out the window. The E36 is a ridiculously fun car to build and drive.
    I'll admit I'm not as familiar with the set up of an STX E36 but I'm willing to bet your rear end is going to be very loose with that rear sway bar. I'm down to the stock 17mm and need just a hair more for autocrossing. However I'm running the V710.
    Have fun with the car. It's a given.

Just watched your last video. Sounds like you already know about the rear sway bar.
    Last edited by Joshh; 06-26-2014 at 01:04 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    A big rear bar is a great tuning device. It has a rather small rate at the wheel, so it is unlikely it will drastically alter anything. Use it. I expect the rear could use more camber than the stock arms allow.
    Last edited by MatthewH; 06-26-2014 at 01:28 PM.

My Cars
    95 STX 325i
    We have the big GC rear bar and have no issues with it being loose.
    e36m sedan
    DD e90 n54
    Autox STXBRZ

Autocross vids: https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack

My Cars
    1992 325i
    You'll find mixed reviews on the rear bar. Some use no rear bar while others use a huge rear bar.
    I removed mine and compensated as much as possible with other things. Imo, the car transitions better with some rear bar. The car felt a bit numb without it.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Yea, I'm sure I will try it out with both bar setups eventually. Getting close to install time, hopefully start this weekend.
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post
    I am pretty sure Murphy tried 265s on his ZHP. The only 235 to try would be the R1R. The ZII is the exception that works well in wider tires. I plan on trying one of the 225/45R16s after these Kumhos.
    Yep, Murph and Kline tried the 265 on 9", i mean data supporting this claim of yours before.

"At best there are only minor benefits to tires wider than 225 on 9" wide wheels."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justinco View Post
    Yea, I'm sure I will try it out with both bar setups eventually. Getting close to install time, hopefully start this weekend.
    Ripped swaybar tabs are an aspect to consider too. I don't believe you'll be wienie protested, but it's gray to reinforce.

My Cars
    97 328is
    Are you just overhauling your diff? keeping lockup at 25% ? or getting 40% or more?
    Also is it really necesssary to overhaul a diff with 80k miles?
    Last edited by Daniils; 06-28-2014 at 01:53 AM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniils View Post
    Are you just overhauling your diff? keeping lockup at 25% ? or getting 40% or more?
    Also is it really necesssary to overhaul a diff with 80k miles?
    I am just replacing the 2 clutch discs inside the diff with new ones, and the carrier bolts. I cannot change the lock (by adding more discs) as that is not allowed per STX rules, the diff is still 100% stock configuration.

Per the guides on bimmerdiffs, they say after about 60k miles it is good to replace the clutch discs. You don't have to, but to get maximum LSD functionality, fresh discs are always better than old worn out ones. Since my diff was already out of the car I figured it was a good time to replace the discs.

I actually just now finished the diff clutch disc replacement and the ones in there were pretty worn, much more friction with the new ones. I also cleaned all the old gunk off all the differential parts and pieces inside the diff. Video coming soon
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    Black
    Looking forward to seeing the wheels and tires on. I've been thinking about 17x9 silver arc-8's on my black e36 for quite a while.

Great thread, love the videos. Can't wait to see the diff video.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    STX allows any LSD unit. Nothing in the LSD has to be factory. You just can't modify anything outside the LSD to fit one, e.g., the ring gear has to remain stock.
    Last edited by MatthewH; 06-28-2014 at 07:07 AM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    STX allows any LSD unit. Nothing in the LSD has to be factory. You just can't modify anything outside the LSD to fit one, e.g., the ring gear has to remain stock.
    Hmm interesting. I could have sworn (and heard from a few different people) that the LSD had to be a standard unit. But, looking at the rulebook:

Code:
    STX, STU, STR – Only standard (as defined in Section 12.4) limitedslip differentials (LSD) are allowed on AWD vehicles. For AWD
    vehicles that did not come with any type of limited slip differential
    (including center differential or transfer case), a single aftermarket
    mechanical LSD may be added. 2WD vehicles may use any mechanical
    LSD unit.
    So the way I read that is; I could use an M3 LSD for example, but cannot change the insides since it does not explicitly say that. Just says any unit...guess it is open to interpretation. Oh well I'm not opening that damn LSD back up again anyways lol.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    You can use the M3 LSD. Supposedly it will bolt up to the 325 (or 328?) ring gear if you use some collars on the smaller bolts. But you can't use anything else from the M3 rear end.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    You can use the M3 LSD. Supposedly it will bolt up to the 325 (or 328?) ring gear if you use some collars on the smaller bolts. But you can't use anything else from the M3 rear end.
    Ahh ok. Well anyways, my 325 LSD has the new clutch discs installed and I am starting to take things apart now on the car. Updates to come..

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i Sport
    FWIW: I like my stock 325i LSD. I am sure a custom unit could be slightly better. I would prefer that STX didn't allow LSD changes for all vehicles.
    Last edited by MatthewH; 06-28-2014 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    95 STX 325i
    They don't allow it for AWD cars.
    e36m sedan
    DD e90 n54
    Autox STXBRZ

Autocross vids: https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    FWIW: I like my stock 325i LSD. I am sure a custom unit could be slightly better. I would prefer that STX didn't allow LSD changes for all vehicles.
    Yea, I guess down the road if really want to nit pick I will upgrade it with another clutch or a better unit. For now, my stock 325i LSD with new clutch discs is in the car

LSD on the left, old one on the right:

During the clutch disc replacement:

- - - Updated - - -

Questions.

Is this the recommended way to mount the rear spring adjusters? Spring pad on top with adjuster on top...or no pads and adjuster on bottom?

Rear shocks assembled. The gold shock tower brace goes downward from the inside I take it, with nuts in the wheel well?

My Cars
    1992 325i
    The GC rear spring adjuster is mounted on the bottom and there is a cone that replaces the pad at the top so the spring seats. Not sure if it's the same but that spring needs something to hold it in place top or bottom. Probably just leave the stock pad at the top.
    Last edited by Joshh; 06-30-2014 at 03:50 AM.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Got everything sorted and installed. Filled up the diff with fluid and took it for a test drive (amazingly I got ride height pretty good on first try).

Nothing fell apart and the diff did not leak Going to get it back on jack stands and top off the diff one last time since the fluid has had a chance to fill in everywhere. Then, it's time to schedule a shop visit for wheel fittings and race setup.

Lots of pictures:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11369...86727674279761

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by justinco View Post
    Is this the recommended way to mount the rear spring adjusters? Spring pad on top with adjuster on top...or no pads and adjuster on bottom?
    The TCK adjusters can go either way, but if you want to adjust them with the spring in place you should have it on top. I definitely used a spring pad on the bottom in the control arm.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustashio View Post
    The TCK adjusters can go either way, but if you want to adjust them with the spring in place you should have it on top. I definitely used a spring pad on the bottom in the control arm.
    Yep. According to TCK there are multiple ways to do it. I left the pad in the top so the adjuster fits in there a little more solid, and no pad on bottom. Kale says you can remove all pads for extra lowering and it works just fine as well.

My Cars
    97 328is
    Did you have to roll the rear fenders to get new wheels/tires fitted in there? And what alignment and ride height you are going with?

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniils View Post
    Did you have to roll the rear fenders to get new wheels/tires fitted in there? And what alignment and ride height you are going with?
    The rear fenders will have to be rolled, yes.

Alignment and ride height will be discuess/set this week once I get it into the shop. (I had to do a little more work still, see below).

Yesterday I spent 10 hours replacing the rear trailing arm bushings and front control arm bushings with some Powerflex replacements. The rears were pretty simple but holy damn, the front ones were awful I wish I would have paid the $$$ for the shop to do that work, not worth the time and broken body, ugh...

I will be running it for the first time at a BMWCCA event this weekend.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Finally got the video up for the diff clutch disk replacement. Kind of long but basically shows you everything you need to know for taking diff internals apart and putting back together.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    The more I read these threads, the more I want to ditch my SM/BSP M3 and find a 325 for STX + track use. The amount of entries in STX is insane these days, even at my local events. Is yours a sunroof car?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustashio View Post
    The more I read these threads, the more I want to ditch my SM/BSP M3 and find a 325 for STX + track use. The amount of entries in STX is insane these days, even at my local events. Is yours a sunroof car?
    The consensus was that there were no non-sunroof 325's between 93 and 95. It's part of why the 325/328 end up so equal since the 328's did have non-sunroof models.

The above ending up false would sad panda a number of 325's across the nation

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast