Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater Core Blew...

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    Yes, this excellent write up has been my guide, but I can't quite get the cover out like he did. I thought I saw another thread where someone said it would only come out with the left side first, but my left side is stuck behind the metal bar. It seems like the only way to get it out would be to pull it far enough right to get it out from under the bar. However, in pulling it right I am hitting the part of the dashboard which comes down to the center console and is the side support for the glovebox. I'm attaching a photo to show the problem.

IMG_6437c.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1972 3.0 CSi-1988 M6
    Yeah, I hit the same hurdle in trying to remove the heater core cover. Finally removed the dash, thus, allowing me the room to pry off the driver side of the cover. It took quite a bit of force, surprisingly, it came off in one piece with no damage. Nearly an impossible task (removing core) just by removing the center console, kudos to others who have done it without taking the entire dash out.
    Last edited by M6csi; 03-05-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    Bert
    91 850i-A
    1972 3.5 CSi (L-jet, Getrag 265 5 speed)
    1988 ///M6
    2021 X3 M40i

The back to back BIG COUPE” duo

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    Thank you very much for your replies. I have come to the same conclusion. The dash has to come off. If anyone has the content from this old link, I'd be most appreciative.
    http://acme-ltd.com/BMW/E31_8_series_heater_core.htm

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Here's Duje's write up...

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ht=heater+core

The car should look like Wuffers car here when the heater core is removed, Scary but much easier than it looks, Just time consuming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 8eights; 03-07-2019 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    Thank you. This guide has been invaluable. I managed to get the old core out without fully pulling out the dash. Now I am stuck on the upper left flange. I can get the pipe to line up with the core, so the flange is flush with it, but just cannot get it to turn into place. I tried filing down a very small bit of the corner (and greasing it) and now I can get it to start it better, but it just won't go fully into place. Before this, I thought removing the dash was going to be the hardest part.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 850CI
    replacemnet is a separate thing, but if you need to replace the cover can be done with this one.... struggle bus trying to find the right thread to post prints, but will be on that soon.

e31 Heater Core Cover by quillsta - Thingiverse

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Pull the dash out, Easiest way in my opinion and you'll surely get it right, Don't pull any seats, I never understood why that was done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 E31 840ci 2000 Z3 M
    I am in the process of removing my steel heater core pipes and I am at an inpass. So far I have removed the dash and everything except the driverside bash bar and steering column. Does anyone have an idea how to access them? Mine are pretty corroded and are the source to my heater core leak so the definitely need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 E31 840ci 2000 Z3 M
    They go through your fire wall and look like this (not mine pictured).

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    I would cut the metal tubes to get it out either thru the firewall or out the dash. Likely Rubber Grommets in the firewall. Likely end up pulling out everything on the firewall side just to get access Lots of Lube and good luck getting it back together.

My Cars
    1994 E31 840ci 2000 Z3 M
    Quote Originally Posted by rjjablo View Post
    I would cut the metal tubes to get it out either thru the firewall or out the dash. Likely Rubber Grommets in the firewall. Likely end up pulling out everything on the firewall side just to get access Lots of Lube and good luck getting it back together.
    I will attempt this next week, thank you!

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    I'm not yet an E31 guy, but I did the heater core change on an E34, so am basically familiar with the concept of BMW heater core change.

Questions:

1. What are the typical failure points on an E31 or similar BMW heater core? O rings? Failed plastic bits on heater core joints? What?

2. Given annoying problems of the hard pipes and alignment while installing the new heater core, would there be any saving of time and effort by splicing in flexible heater hoses of correct size? This may potentially ease installation of the new unit without fighting the positioning of the hard pipes.

3. If the failure of the old core is hairline crack leak, can the old core be easily repaired or strengthened by proper use of, say, JB Weld? I've used this stuff to fix hairline cracks in both plastic and metal radiator tanks, etc. as well as the auto transmission cooler on an E36, so far holding strong after years of use. So, why wouldn't this also work with a heater core? Granted, it's not the same as a new core, but then the epoxy-reinforced plastic of the old unit may be actually stronger than an new one...

My Cars
    1994 E31 840ci 2000 Z3 M
    Well i finally was able to replace my heater core pipes...

I did a heater core replacement a while ago and it was fine and dandy, however the pipes were corroded and full of mineral deposits. Possibly due to poor coolant flush and may have been filled with tap water from previous owner. After a few months of driving it stsrted to leak at the footwell and the culprit ended up being these metal pipes leading up to the heater core... So I perform another heater core replacement on top of replacing the pipes.

https://youtu.be/et9QMtuklY0?si=rIuvd0XEYTYYeT0y

Between film cuts, I actually used a pipe cutter and a wire cutter to snip the old pipes in half to make removing them much easier.

My Cars
    1994 E31 840ci 2000 Z3 M
    Thank you for the advice @rjjablo Cutting the pipes did the job of getting the old one's out.20230827_143009.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12