Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Issues with Rieger Side Skirts!?

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT

Heat Issues with Rieger Side Skirts!?

I have Rieger plastic side skirts on my e36. They were installed by what is supposed to be one of the best shops in my area. Last October they attached each skirt with 4 screws and a long strip of double-sided tape. For whatever reason, the skirts were ill-fitting (not long enough) and had tiny cracks in them where they wrapped around into each wheel well. The shop owner told me that the skirts must have contracted (shrunk) after installation and cooling.

Anyway, now that it is hot as hell outside, the skirts seem to be EXPANDING, quite a bit. To the point that one side has popped-off the double-sided tape and bulged or bowed away from the rocker panel. This happenned about two weeks ago on a hot day, and happenned again today.

These skirts are expanding and contracting way too much. My suspicion is that the body shop used too much heat to cure the paint on them - but this is nothing more than speculation. Anybody else have this problem or any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.
    Garrett

My Cars
    E36
    hey sorry but this is waaaay off topic... Where did you get your valve cover done like that?? it looks tooooo good.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Bimmerworld made 7 of them. I lucked-up and got one.

Thanks
    Garrett

My Cars
    10 Jeep Wrangler
    Same issues with my Rieger sideskirts. They have tiny cracks right where they wrap around and attach by each wheel well. My car is supposed to be going in this week to get them fixed but I think I am purchasing some Hamann sides instead.
    P I T T S B U R G H, P A
    [img][/img]

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Are they ABS or fiberglass?

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    N/A
    same problem.. ABS

My Cars
    95 Alpine White ///M3
    Same problem for me too. Mine were glued on, and the glue all came off recently because it has been hot as hell in SoCal. And all of mine are cracked where they go around the wheel well. I thought my shop just sucked at installing them. How are you guys going to have them fixed?

My Cars
    10 Jeep Wrangler
    The guy at my shop told me that he knew that was going to happen when he installed them. He said he'll be able to fix them (I didn't really ask how) but I'm thinking of changing them to the Hamann ones anyway.
    P I T T S B U R G H, P A
    [img][/img]

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Thats unfortunate.

How can I prevent this from happening to mine?

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Are you sure that the sideskirt itself is what's cracking and it's not just the paint? Maybe they didn't use a flex agent while painting.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    Are you sure that the sideskirt itself is what's cracking and it's not just the paint? Maybe they didn't use a flex agent while painting.
    HAHAH are you serious? I think we as a group can see the difference between PLASTIC cracking.. and paint.. I'm sorry but that has to be the dumbest question in quite a while...

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3-Mike
    HAHAH are you serious? I think we as a group can see the difference between PLASTIC cracking.. and paint.. I'm sorry but that has to be the dumbest question in quite a while...
    youd be suprised you bitch

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wasp
    youd be suprised you bitch
    Can you say. suck my dick as*hole?
    Last edited by ///M3-Mike; 05-11-2004 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    2002 330I
    whoa, be nice Mike,
    daved, paint cracking as a result of lack of flexing agent and the actual skirt cracking are bound to be noticed as you know i'm sure,
    it's funny because half the guys on here swear by abs plastic parts, but I always use fiberglass parts on my car, My esquiss parts are hand laid fiberglass and are hands down the best quality aftermarket bumpers I have ever seen, knock-off fiberglass replica parts are usually crap, but when a company manufactures their parts from fiberglass usually they can be trusted to be quality parts...
    My hamann stw sideskirts are authentic hamann and are hand laid fiberglass and these things are practically unbreakable.....
    and they are for sale, 97Mpwr, you have a pm
    Rich
    "For A Second I Wish The Tide, Would Swallow Every Inch Of This City....."

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3-Mike
    Can you say. suck my dick as*hole?
    Yes.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    You guys, it sounds like what we have on our hands here is a DEFECTIVE DESIGN. I was hoping my situation was isolated, but it seems like it is the norm. This sucks. :

The cracks look shitty, but the skirts look down-right rediculous when they bow-out away from the body as they heat-up . . . looks like a rice mobile gone bad . . .

I'm pissed. :
    Garrett

My Cars
    10 Jeep Wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20
    The cracks look shitty, but the skirts look down-right rediculous when they bow-out away from the body as they heat-up . . . looks like a rice mobile gone bad . . .

I'm pissed. :
    I completely agree with you. My body shop said they actually were a little bit too small (hence the cracking where they wrap around near the wheel wells.)

WhiteM32 - Thanks man, I appreciate the offer, but I've got a local buddy who I am purchasing my Hamann sideskirts from. They actually look a little different than the ones you are selling.

The cracks are definitely in the plastic and not the paint. I'm sure any body shop will be able to fix them right up and put them back on, but I'm changing to the Hamann ones so this hopefully won't happen again.
    P I T T S B U R G H, P A
    [img][/img]

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    You guys, it sounds like what we have on our hands here is a DEFECTIVE DESIGN. I was hoping my situation was isolated, but it seems like it is the norm. This sucks. :

I'm pissed. :
    First off, sorry to hear of your bad luck. But seriously, why funk up the stock beautiful M3 body? I just don't get it. Your stock side skirts rock!

My Cars
    10 Jeep Wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimble
    First off, sorry to hear of your bad luck. But seriously, why funk up the stock beautiful M3 body? I just don't get it. Your stock side skirts rock!

If only you would have offered up that insight before i purchased that SMS rear bumper off you.
    P I T T S B U R G H, P A
    [img][/img]

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by 97 MPWR
    If only you would have offered up that insight before i purchased that SMS rear bumper off you.

Hey, it was hard to stop your persistance. You really wanted my bumper, so I HAD to sell it to you.

My Cars
    10 Jeep Wrangler
    hmmm, i guess i was a little persistent huh?
    P I T T S B U R G H, P A
    [img][/img]

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimble
    why funk up the stock beautiful M3 body? I just don't get it. Your stock side skirts rock!

Why ask why? Style is a matter of opinion, right?

Your question makes me wonder if you've ever even seen Rieger skirts. : If you have seen them, then you know that they look identical to OE M3 skirts, except they go just a tad bit lower. If the OE skirts "rock!", then the Rieger skirts must also "rock!".
    Garrett

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    Why ask why? Style is a matter of opinion, right?

Your question makes me wonder if you've ever even seen Rieger skirts. : If you have seen them, then you know that they look identical to OE M3 skirts, except they go just a tad bit lower. If the OE skirts "rock!", then the Rieger skirts must also "rock!".
    Chill out gangsta, I was giving your car a compliment.

Oh, and there's something to be said for factory fitment and quality isn't there? Which Rieger obviously doesn't have. :

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteM32
    whoa, be nice Mike,
    daved, paint cracking as a result of lack of flexing agent and the actual skirt cracking are bound to be noticed as you know i'm sure,
    it's funny because half the guys on here swear by abs plastic parts, but I always use fiberglass parts on my car, My esquiss parts are hand laid fiberglass and are hands down the best quality aftermarket bumpers I have ever seen, knock-off fiberglass replica parts are usually crap, but when a company manufactures their parts from fiberglass usually they can be trusted to be quality parts...
    My hamann stw sideskirts are authentic hamann and are hand laid fiberglass and these things are practically unbreakable.....
    and they are for sale, 97Mpwr, you have a pm
    Rich

Thank you Rich, You are probably the only guy on here that actually agrees with.

Like you said fiberglass is a composite material and if manufactured correctly, and you have added flex into your paint, you will not have any problems with it.
    Proudly sponsored by ElusiveFX

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Thanks for the compliment lil' gangsta. I'm chill. I didn't mean to offend you, but you have to admit that it was just another one of those sorta dumb questions . . .
    I could almost understand your question if you had never seen Rieger skirts before and you assumed they were a real departure from the OE look. But in light of the fact that they look almost exactly the same, the question was a dumb one . . . and the statement about "funk-up" the stock look was even dumber.

Its kinda like asking somone why do you wear a V-neck white cotton shirt vs. a crew neck white cotton shirt? Or why do you say TomAto instead of tOmato? Or why do you have an estoril car instead of dakar? Or why lux vs. regular M3? See what i mean - kinda stupid questions. Its all good, though.
    Garrett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast