Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to add wifi to ICOM A1 clone.

My Cars
    1998 BMW e39
    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    BTW, how did you fin if the dongle has rt5572?
    By searching from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_from...0&_odkw=rt5572

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    I was a bit lost in the labyrinth of the wireless settings but everything works great now. Thank you guys for sharing.
    ICOM A1 and A2 works fine with this wifi dongle-http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Band-2-4Ghz-5Ghz-Wireless-N-USB-Adapter-Dongle-802-11-a-b-g-n-Wi-Fi-300Mbps-/261948855270?hash=item3cfd5e53e6
    For an easy setup without external router I used "Virtual Router Plus", can be downloaded for free, and Panda wireless wifi dongle.
    Last edited by bawareca; 10-11-2015 at 09:40 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW e39
    Wish it was that easy. All shown are RT5572N or other chipsets. I have bought RT5572N already and it doesnt work. It is recognized by ICOM and it is passing the self-test, but the WIFI settings are not active.
    I don't understand. You cannot change WIFI settings or what?

My Cars
    2001 740IL,2000 540I/6
    I was a bit lost in the labyrinth of the wireless settings but everything works great now. Thank you guys for sharing.
    ICOM A1 and A2 works fine with this wifi dongle-http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Band-2-4Ghz-5Ghz-Wireless-N-USB-Adapter-Dongle-802-11-a-b-g-n-Wi-Fi-300Mbps-/261948855270?hash=item3cfd5e53e6
    For an easy setup without external router I used "Virtual Router Plus", can be downloaded for free, and Panda wireless wifi dongle.
    Interesting info, thanks for that , so any Panda wifi dongle will work or it has to be special chipset?(ralink RT5572N wireless chipset)

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    Panda is for the second connection. You need RT5572N chipset to be recognized by ICOM.

My Cars
    2001 740IL,2000 540I/6
    Panda is for the second connection. You need RT5572N chipset to be recognized by ICOM.
    Ok, cool, but what do you mean by "second connection" ?

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    It is strange setup and it took me some time to get my head around it. You need a router and a wifi network where the ICOM will be registered. I didnt read someone successfully using ad-hoc with ICOM. So if you dont want to use external router, you use a program like "Virtual Router Plus" to which is sharing laptop's wifi adapter and is creating a network. You connect the ICOM to this network, but it is only wireless. So now to connect your laptop you need a wifi dongle(or second wlan card) to connect it to the network you already created. At least this is how I was able to make it work. If someone knows a better way please share.

My Cars
    BMW E31 850iA
    That is strange... I got mine today and the setup worked perfectly with the virtual adapter only, default settings, apart from: static IP address on virtual adapter, self-assigned IP on ICOM, WPA2 personal, zone: DE.
    ICOM only needed a reboot after attaching the USB dongle and punching in the settings. After starting with LAN cable detached, ista picked it up immediately.

Do you have a static IP address assigned to the correct NIC (also the address must be different from the one your real wireless (and/or wired) card is using)?
    Are you sure your integrated wireless is compatible: https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/w...Documentation? (afaik VR+ was forked from this one and both use windows "native" hosted network feature http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...-Windows-7.htm

I'll make screenshots of my settings later.

The only problem I am having: the USB dongle is as wide as a ####### truck (at least the one I recieved)! It wouldn't fit through the "gate" on the A2 and I had to use an extension cord. I'll get one of those "swivel" adapters for it.

Still, less effort than the mpci card, easier to obtain and it costs peanuts. Kudos to you, @junnuvi! This is great!
    Last edited by Zlobny; 10-21-2015 at 08:48 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E31 850iA
    OK, I reimaged and did everything again to confirm it was not just a lucky 1st try. (And decided to make my own a writeup (I hope you don't mind me posting this here @seb !)

I installed Virtual router this time and it appears that the latest version also remembers the last state of the network, which is good (not really, after a couple of days the asociated bugs are starting to **** me off):
    After restarting it takes a long time for the hosted network to start (>2 min.), can cause a intermittent freeze and sometimers the manager window pops will pop up randomly while the connection will fail restart. - This appears to be caused by NAT starting on the hosted network connection, despite no shared connections being available (default subnet used by icom/ista also conflicts with windows NAT).
    All of the problems mentione above can be avoided by only starting virtual router manually (and stopping it before powering down).

I would still recommend using virtual router for those who do not feel confident about setting up hosted network mannualy and use either a startup script or task scheduler to start it.

ICOM WLAN with a Ralink
    rt5572 based WiFi dongle and no router!

Disclamer: Comes with no warranty, posted for informational purposes, should not be used by anyone. (aka.: Whatever went horribly wrong - it was your own fault!)

This was tested on Windows7 Pro SP1 64-bit and 32-bit (Hardware: Intel Advanced N 6200 AGN).
    It should work on any version (ex. starter); both 64 and 32 bit (will not work with XP or Vista -also do not ask me about 8 or 10).

Assuming:

- Your ethernet connection is working and you can already connect with ICOM via cable,

- Your ISTA-D settings (VCI config) are :

*This is ISTA plus.

- Your ICOM is running "ispi generation" firmware.

- Your Wireless NIC (computer!) is compatible (if not, you will need to use another USB WIFI NIC and create an access point with that one).

1. Setup hosted network: You can use Virtual router* (https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/) for this. Check compatibility of your network adapter (that would be the laptop integrated wireless NIC): https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/w...=Documentation
    Then download and install Virtual router software. Everything is set up automatically: you only need to put your SSID and password into the virtual router manager. Do not turn on internet connection sharing (not needed, ever) and do not start the virtual router yet!

*This is not a "propper" software router, you will just get a simple access point, which is enough for another computer to connect from their end.
    *Also: do not use the password in this picture!

2. Configure the network connection: go to Control panel, Wireless and sharing center, manage adapter settings. Look for your new connection (it is the one using the Microsoft virtual adapter). Open properties, then IPv4 properties.
    Set a static IP address such as 169.254.92.4, subnet mask 255.255.0.0. (this will be added automatically). Remember; this address must be different from your wired connection and "real" wireless connection ( in my case these are 169.254.92.3 for wired and DHCP for wireless, which is not needed anyway, since this is a different connection alltogether):

*Of course, you could roll with Windows assigning the address. Based on my experience with APIPA in Windows however, I would not reccomend it. It is evil and not worth the effort.

Restart your computer (just making sure everything loads with the new settings).

3. Set up ICOM: Connect the rt5572 WiFi dongle to ICOM, connect ICOM to your computer via cable and power up ICOM by connecting it to your car. Upon powering on ICOM will load the drivers by itself, but WIFI will not work until the unit is restarted.
    In your browser open: http://169.254.92.38.58000 (or 169.254.92.38:58000/?CountryCode=DE -this made no difference for me)

You can change and check your settings now:

- Device Configuration /mode: ISPI NEXT (so you can configure WLAN Settings)

- LAN Settings/ Discovery mode: APIPA

- WLAN: set to the correct region, set security type to WPA2 Personal, set the same SSID and password as in Virtual router (step one).

4. Test ICOM: Restart the ICOM by disconnecting it from the car and reconnecting it (still on cable) go to ICOM Confirguration Manager, run Self-Test and you should see this:

5. Connect ICOM via WiFi: Disconnect ICOM from the car, disconnect the ethernet cable from ICOM. Start Virtual router and reconnect ICOM to your car. The LAN indicator will be off. The WLAN indicator wil turn on.

*The indicator on the wifi dongle was turned off, this is normal (depends on the WiFi chipset, drivers...).
    *Also observe the 3 m long extension cord!

ICOM shoud now be available in ITools and ISTA-D (Choose "Operations", then click "Interfaces" button)! You should be able to establish connection and perform identification and vehicle test now:

*ICOM has a new IP address now (old one will be back once attach it again via cable - last one)!

That is all.

This should also work for the mini Pci cards, since ICOM here is just another device (computer) looking for an access point (it does not matter which interface it will use, as long as it works - the problem is providing an access point it can use on your computer).
    Last edited by Zlobny; 10-25-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: tpyos, clarity

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlobny View Post
    Good, detalied write-up, thanks. It works fine for me, but everytime I start the virtual router, the IP adress is reset and I have to change it manually. Somehow I cant figure out how to make it stick.

My Cars
    BMW E31 850iA
    It changes in the IPv4 Properties pannel? Or are you seeing 192.168.173.1 (under network status)?

Run ipconfig /all in cmd.exe. Look for a connection on MS miniport virtual adapter and you should see both 192.168.173.1 (set by shared access service) and 169.254.92.4 (the one you set). Several (on different subnets) can coexist on the same interface, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If the properties pannel is reseting to default settings (auto IP), it could be due to some conflict. Mark "validate settings upon exit" option after setting the IP address. (If that does not produce any errors, look for any recent error messages about network in event viewer.)
    Last edited by Zlobny; 10-25-2015 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    It is changing on IPv4 properties, resets to 192.168.173.1. I have tried with "validate settings upon exit", but nothing changed. This is on Lenovo X61S. The virtual router cannot work with the Intel wifi card, so i am using external wifi dongle.

My Cars
    BMW E31 850iA
    The connection sharing service (ICS) is "taking over" for some reason, despite the address being set to static. Can't say why this is happening... setting a static custom address should (in theory) override it.

The service can not be permanently disabled, because Virtual router requires it to run and will reenable it.

I have not tried this, but there could be 2 possible workarounds:

1. Add another IP address manually, see if it sticks:

In the IPv4 properties tab click "advanced" button and then add your address to the list.

2. Change the IPaddress scope ICS is using (This also means DHCP will be running, so it can mess with ICOM's addresses):

- close virtual router manager. run services.msc and stop virtual router service, stop Internet connection sharing service (ICS)

- run regedit. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\SharedAccess\Parameters

There are 3 values you need to edit: “ScopeAddress”, ”ScopeAddressBackup" and “StandaloneDhcpAddress”

You can change these to any address you want and dhcp range should then start with it.

- restart the computer.

Alternatively try using the software provided by the dongle manufacturer? (Panda claims theirs can be used as an access point without windows hosted network feature)?
    Last edited by Zlobny; 10-25-2015 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    Thanks for the help again. I did try a few things and somehow it works fine now. It still shows the generic IP adress in IPV4, but the ICOM is connected.

My Cars
    2003 BMW E46 330d
    I did it differently with mine china Icom A2 non wifi.
    Bought TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano Router and soldered it to the Icom's board. Turned it on and it worked.
    Didn't change any IP or other settings. All i did was made a laptop connection with router and ISTA showed my Icom.

My Cars
    BMW
    Hi guys,
    Can any one help me figure out whats going on with my icom. Im trying to add WIFI card in icom bat somehow it dont show WLAN MAC address it shows 00:00:00:00:00:00 im using Firmware 03.14.03 SYSTEM IMAGE 01.25.02 APPLICATION IMAGE 01.40.05 When im running self test getting WLAN Device Test FAIL. And im using this card (Atheros AR9160 Mini PCI Half Size Radio Wlan Networking Laptop Wireless Card 802.11 a/b/g/n 300M) Thanks

My Cars

link down

Quote Originally Posted by Seb530DA View Post
    How to add Mini PCI Type III 124 pins Socket ?

We start with this

And this

You can buy 5 sockets for 5$ here

First placement

Let's go to serious things

Looks good

Card on

You will need last 3.10.44 Icom's Firmware to have Wifi on any router.

You can download it here

Upgrade the firmware then go to http://ip.of.your.icom:58000/?CodeCountry=DE
    Hi there,
    please can reupload both files because links are down??
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    2009 535i Wagon
    @ sniegavirs
    Would it be possible for you to do a wiring write-up and how you did it? That would be helpful. Did you add any extra stuff to it especially to the end plate? Also does this work with ISTA-P as well (this site says otherwise at the end of the write-up)?
    Last edited by pavanbabut; 05-03-2019 at 11:58 AM.

My Cars
    2009 535i Wagon
    @ Zlobny
    How are you able to use ICOM-B in this setup since you are already using that USB port on ICOM head for your dongle?
    Last edited by pavanbabut; 05-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.

My Cars
    F02 n63, F10 n20
    Hi there, Can someone help me? I have Chinese clone of ICOM with slot for WiFi card and a WiFi card on Atheros AR9160 chipset. I've installed the card, connected two antennas, made all changes in configuration menu, selftest is passing well but WiFi indicator don't turn on and I can't see any clients on router that I configured to connect to.
    And also in the WLAN settings menu field of WLAN MAC is blank.
    20191203_211100.jpg
    Last edited by spetr; 12-03-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added some text

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12