Thread: Do all rear windows have zippers - or are there replacement tops that don't?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp

Do all rear windows have zippers - or are there replacement tops that don't?

I think I'm about to bite the bullet and replace my rear window (Z3 non-///M '99 2.5). I'm pretty sure it has a replacement top and a replacement window - when I got it three years ago it was in 9/10's condition (much better than I would expect a 12 year old top to possibly be)... the top is still in 7/10's, but the window is getting pretty bad, and this last week it suffered a crisis, ie, a take out box of Chinese got folded into the window due to a failure of communication w/ my oldest :-( ... anyway: I understand that if there is a zipper it would be under the glued down flap which I see from the inside... but why I'm wondering if there is a zipper is that I would expect to be able to feel it through that flap, and I don't seem to... hence my (title) question. I guess the ultimate truth would be to peel back a piece of that flap and look... but I was hoping someone that's been there, done that could offer some insight. As always, many thanks - greg

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Robbin's has a fixed window, for one.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The aftermarket tops all have sewn-in windows. Robbins, GAHH, etc.
    Only the original tops have zippers.
    I don't know if OE BMW tops are still available, and have not heard of anyone buying one recently.

If you are seeing a glued perimeter flap on the outside, you have an Emiata window in an original top. Pull up the canvas flap and you will see the zipper.
    If you are seeing a black plastic perimeter trim on the outside, you either have an original top and window, or an aftermarket top with sewn-in window.
    If you see a zipper on the inside, you have either an original window in an original top, or an Emiata window in an original top.

It's good to have an original top with zipper, because you have the chance to install a new OE or Emiata window. Unless the top is too deteriorated, in which case the stress of zipping can pull out the stitching holding zipper half that is in the top.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 03-23-2014 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8, 98 M Coupe
    FWIW my Z came with an aftermarket top. I managed to find a BMW OE top that someone had taken off a race car conversion and swapped that on.

You may get lucky
    '97 Z3 2.8 - Montreal Blue, Beige
    Mods - RD Fr. strut brace; Short antenna; Hifi LCD+AUX; BMW soft-top; TMS RSM; K&N air; Bilstein struts; H&R Springs; Pedders camber/toe; extra padded M stitched 3 spoke steering wheel ...
    To Do - Interior overhaul; rear window; lightweight rims ...

'98 M Coupe - Cosmos Black, Imola

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Gents - thanks. Let me post a picture or two and maybe someone can tell me for sure what I have... though at the moment knee deep in clay muck, trying to replace a 2" split water main. :-( again, many thanks - greg

- - - Updated - - -

Taking a breather from mucking in the muck (what else would one do in muck?? ;-) ).... I see two rows of stitching around the window - one row about 1 cm outside the window, the other about 2 cm beyond that - assuming this means aftermarket/sown in window... I assume that means the only choice I have is to replace the entire top ??? If I have to go that route, what have others done and been happy with, or have done and are unhappy with and hopefully I'll avoid? again, many thanks - greg

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    .... I see two rows of stitching around the window - one row about 1 cm outside the window, the other about 2 cm beyond that - assuming this means aftermarket/sown in window...
    You said you have a glued canvas flap around the inside of the window. Aftermarket tops with sewn-in windows have no need of a glued perimeter flap canvas to seal.