Thread: Help with 98' M alternator Bosch vs. Valeo difference?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster

Help with 98' M alternator Bosch vs. Valeo difference?

So I finally got around to replacing my alternator on my list of things to do. I did the research and pre-ordered an alternator based on REAL OEM, Turner, and several other resources. I ordered a Bosch factory remanufactured AL0739X 140 amp, which is supposed to be the correct alternator for my 98' M Roadster. The unit I pulled out (yesterday) is a Valeo 2541941B 115 amp. The two are vaguely different in fitment, with the Bosch being a little wider and having the plugs in a different spot on the back. Neither of these two problems is insurmountable, but the shaft on the Bosch is also a half inch or so longer, and the pulley from my Valeo sticks out a half inch or so too far when mounted on the Bosch (the Bosch came without a pulley). So here is my question: does anyone know if I can just get a Bosch pulley and everything will work, or do I need to buy a Valeo replacement alternator? The back plastic cover is different too, but I can modify the Bosch if I am going to use it. I bought the Bosch long enough ago that I'm stuck with it if I need to buy a Valeo, also I believe the Bosch to be a better unit--both in amperage and in quality, so I'd like to use it if I can. Any input is greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    I'm not sure of the specifics, but Mark (lil Z3) ran into a similar issue last summer. Apparently the alternator is specific to the Z3 - go figure. At the time he was looking, there was one available on the east coast. I had forgotten about my intent to buy and inventory the correct one until you posted this.

-Todd

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Take thenew one back. It is for an S52 m3 that they say will "transfer" but doesn't. Co es in 80 and 140A.

The Bosch replacement you need is: AL9414X should pull up as a 115A

I did the same thing a while back.

My Cars
    540i/6, 740il,M Roadster
    The 140 Bosch will transfer into the the Roady,but only as an assembly with the correct pulley. you can't use the Valeo pulley on the 140.
    The 115 Bosch will work with the valeo pulley but the regulator terminals are rotated ~90deg. making the wires 2" to short. In a pinch you can cut some wire ties under the manifold to make up the difference. It also needs an even longer mounting bolt because the Valeo one will not reach the threads. Also the Bosch units are externally cooled with an air duct. The Valeo ones are not.

So the simple answer is the Valeo is a direct replacement. Everything else will take some extra work.

Take this from someone stuck in middle of nowhere Arkansas looking for an alternator. I installed 3 different ones in an autozone parking lot to find one that would get me home.

RobZR
    MKE

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZR View Post
    The 140 Bosch will transfer into the the Roady,but only as an assembly with the correct pulley. you can't use the Valeo pulley on the 140.
    The 115 Bosch will work with the valeo pulley but the regulator terminals are rotated ~90deg. making the wires 2" to short. In a pinch you can cut some wire ties under the manifold to make up the difference. It also needs an even longer mounting bolt because the Valeo one will not reach the threads. Also the Bosch units are externally cooled with an air duct. The Valeo ones are not.

So the simple answer is the Valeo is a direct replacement. Everything else will take some extra work.

Take this from someone stuck in middle of nowhere Arkansas looking for an alternator. I installed 3 different ones in an autozone parking lot to find one that would get me home.

RobZR
    MKE
    Yes, I read your thread about that experience. Is there a "somewhere Arkansas" such that you could be stuck in the middle of "nowhere Arkansas?" Can't you just say "Arkansas?"

I am interested in the Bosch pulley. I don't think the bolt length will be an issue as I have a super charger kit installed and it came with longer alternator bolts due to its mounting plate.

Does anyone have any direct experience with swapping a Bosch for a Valeo? One of the Randy's for example?

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    As long as you get the part number that I gave you it should be fine. You'll need the Bosch pully as well though since the valeo has the offset into the alternator body and the Bosch flush mounts.

My Cars
    540i/6, 740il,M Roadster
    robb1887 is correct. AL9414X is the Bosch part number for their remanufactured Valeo 115 amp. It should drop right in.
    I think the confusion is that Bosch made the OE units for the 3-series cars (with cooling vent tube) and Valeo made the Z3 alternators(w/o vent). Now Bosch is also remanufacturing the Valeo units and slapping their name on them. All the AL9414X pictures I see online have a Bosch reman. sticker and Valeo molded into the back shroud.

"middle of nowhere Arkansas"- No disrespect to the gracious people of Arkansas. They were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to help a stranded traveler. Trying to find BMW parts on a weekend in rural Arkansas 90 miles from Littlerock sure felt like middle of nowhere. The local part store owner helped me call all over the state to find a replacement alternator. Helped me charge my original battery and got me a deal on another to get me the 90 miles to Littlerock off the battery.

RobZR
    MKE

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well, I ordered the Bosch pulley and I'll see if I can make the 140 amp unit work--if not then I'll go with the AL9414X unit. I'm not in a hurry and the pulley cost $26.00, so we'll see. If the pulley lines up, then I will hace to modify the back plastic cover to clear my oil cooler lines, and re-route the wires. I'll report back. It would be nice to have the 140 amp unit as my stereo and sub draw a lot of power. The supercharger mounting bracket is in the way for replacing the alternator, requiring me to remove the radiator and supercharger to get at it, so I only want to do this once. In the mean time, I have rotors and pads to replace, calipers to paint, e-brake shoes to replace, the vanos to rebuild, new tires to get mounted, the seats are out getting recovered, and I've got to pull the center console to replace the switch plate/shift surround, so it's not like the alternator issue is going to hold me up anytime soon.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M roadster
    The Bosch rebuilt AL9414X is the correct one. I just changed mine yesterday and went thru the hell of trying to find the correct one. Every parts store computer shows the wrong one. Just have them cross reference the Valeo number 436700 and it will come up with the Bosch rebuilt Valeo unit. Advanced has them for $183 plus core and free shipping to your door.

My Cars
    2000 M coupe
    My alternator stopped working last week and it took me a while to figure out if I should replace or rebuild it and what all the options were...until I found this thread.
    I want to confirm that what everyone mentioned above is applicable to Canada.

Lets start with all the incorrect options:
    The auto parts stores including the online ones all reference the M3 alternator that is NOT the same as the Z3 alternator. All the auto parts stores alternators are either 80, 120 or 140 Amp units.

The correct options:
    The Z3 has an alternator that is not shared with any other E36 platform car. It is a 115 Amp unit as stated above. The one in my car seems to be original as the nameplate on it says it was made in France by Valeo and also has the BMW logo on it. It does NOT have a ventilation duct like the rest of the E36 units. The correct part numbers are:

Bosch P/N AL9414X
    Valeo P/N 436700 or A13VI180 or 2541941
    BMW P/N 12311405918 or

I googled the Bosch part # and found that rebuilt units are available online, but I couldn't wait for it to be delivered.
    The dealer quoted me $750 for a rebuilt unit w/o installation and confirmed they cannot get new units.
    After this I decided to have it rebuilt at an independent shop for $200. It took them 4 hours to do it. The shop that rebuilt it took it apart in front of me and showed me what was wrong with it. The slip rings were worn out, brushes were almost worn out and the bearings had slight play.

This thread should be added to the manifesto.
    Last edited by Swaybars; 11-03-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: updated part numbers

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I went through this rigmarole last month. This thread would have saved me a bit of trouble for sure. Thanks for bumping it. It's going in The Manifesto right now.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 11-04-2014 at 12:52 PM.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Holy resurrection Batman (bump for adding to manifesto). UPDATE, the alternator below had the wrong sticker placed on it by Bosch, so it is not the correct one.

Last edited by bubbafett; 07-16-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe
    Silly question, but what BOSCH alternator did you order that was not correct? The AL9414X ?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    Holy resurrection Batman (bump for adding to manifesto). UPDATE, the alternator below had the wrong sticker placed on it by Bosch, so it is not the correct one.

Thanks, Jason
    2000 BMW M-Coupe

2019 M-B GLC300
    2019 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EB3.5
    1995 Mustang GT "Lemons Car"

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Why didnt you just have your Valeo rebuilt? This is what I did with a 2 year warranty and no headaches. Plus it was cheaper.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe
    The current alternator was replaced in 2007 according to the records I have so I'm not positive what model is in the car until I can tear into it. If it indeed the correct "Valeo", I will have it rebuilt and return the AL9414X

Quote Originally Posted by redlinealley View Post
    Why didnt you just have your Valeo rebuilt? This is what I did with a 2 year warranty and no headaches. Plus it was cheaper.
    Thanks, Jason
    2000 BMW M-Coupe

2019 M-B GLC300

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Good call....

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe
    AE6AC9A7-DD3B-4F6A-8B0C-1D76242F1FF1.jpg
    New Bosch is installed after I removed the faulty Valeo unit. I simply swapped the plastic cover from the Valeo to the Bosch and it dropped right in. I'm sending the Valeo off to be rebuilt and will swap it back in within the next month. Why? The Bosch whistles, which could mean it has a bad rectifier out of the box. Amazed at the lack of GC at Bosch for their remans.
    Last edited by FHLH; 04-29-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: need to add text
    Thanks, Jason
    2000 BMW M-Coupe

2019 M-B GLC300