Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Finally, E34 Touring...

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Didn't read which DME you're using but make sure it's from the manual trans car. Otherwise it's expecting feedback from the auto trans computer and it will be retarding ignition timing
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    525i Touring
    Kinghorn, did you ever get that third brake light out with those rusty screws?

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Mottati: Holy crap... Ahahaha! I have a HOOOOORIBBLE rough idle, and I mean vicious at stops. Thought you had to switch DME's but decided ill wait it out and if the car starts it starts, if not, swap DME's but this could be the solution! Im running the stock motors DME, so ill swap it over tonight and hopefully comeback with some awesome results! Thank you so much sir!

Edit: Welp, the parts car 530i/5 had the hood off as well as the engine software cover during the rain so yes some rain got into the 404 DME out of the manual car. Took it apart and cleaned up all the contacts/parts off water, letting it air dry for the next coupla days then once i feel its completely dry ill install it and hopefully it fixes most of my issues. thanks for the suggestion once again!

Chuddism: Not yet, and its so embarrassing driving around with a quarter of the third brake light bulbs lighting up. I may just try drilling them out and disposing of this third brake light if i cant properly get them out. You going through the same struggles?
    Last edited by Kinghorn; 01-27-2015 at 12:21 AM.

My Cars
    525i Touring
    Chuddism: Not yet, and its so embarrassing driving around with a quarter of the third brake light bulbs lighting up. I may just try drilling them out and disposing of this third brake light if i cant properly get them out. You going through the same struggles?[/QUOTE]

Yep, rusted to hell. I want to get the light sent off to sse43 to get swapped to LEDs so I might fire up my drill.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Or just swap the chip. (or even better get an aftermarket manual 530 chip)
    Mike
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Mottati: both dme's were 404's so i didn't know if swapping would solve the issue, so I swapped anyway and the car ran even worse. not sure if it was supposed to happen, but it did. All ive done is kept the stock engine harness/software, just swapped the tranny and motor (Doesn't rev hang...) May end up purchasing a DUDM chip... just don't know if it would even help... Now that i penciled out software once again, it may just be a vacuum leak. Im still looking for a secondary throttle body cable, and then ill swap my old intake mani, or may just even pick up a b40 intake mani and throttle body if i have the cash... but hopefully that will solve the issue.

Chuddism: Lol, try to use a tap kit to drill the rusted bolt out first (10 bucks) and if not, then id go for drillin the sucker out. but good luck and let me know the results, may just attempt this tonight as well...

hood opening mechanism broke, so the hood pops open one the roads. anyone have a parts car that has this part they'd wanna sell me
    also wired in a quick release clip for my subs, and washed/waxed the touring again...

My Cars
    94 M5T
    the car should run ok with both dmes but the software is different for the manual vs auto. When i did my 6 speed swap on my 530iT, it was a dog, really flat in the midrange. Timing was being retarded because the dme with auto trans will retard timing when the trans shifts, or when not in gear, vs normal acceleration. Swapping the chip made a huge difference in performance.

But the car idled and ran fine, it was smooth etc. If you've got idle issues, something else is going on. Did the engine run ok in the donor car before the swap? Sure there are no vacuum leaks? Crank sensor ok?

I'd be a bit hesitant to use the dme that was flooded. Put the manual trans chip in the wagon's dme.
    Last edited by mottati; 01-28-2015 at 12:57 AM.
    Mike
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    i didnt read eventhing, but did you do the intake gaskets? if you have a rough idle, thats definitely where id start. And when you take a look at the condition of the knock sensors when you pull the intake, PM me, i have a nearly brand new set of Bosch knock sensors for sale .

As far as the diff goes, the 3.23 felt fine in my b40/6spd. The 5spd ratios are basically the first 5 of the 6spd. Without that overdrive gear, anything shorter than the 3.23 will be screaming at highway speeds! i get it though, with the power the b30 has, a gearing change will help it feel a bit faster.

And about the auto vs. manual chips. Mottati is correct, the auto chip is a little short on power below about 3krpm. And the idle will hang between shifts. I would definitely be using the manual 530i dme/chip. I do highly recommend DUDMD chips!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kinghorn View Post
    Im still looking for a secondary throttle body cable...... and may pick up a b40 intake mani and throttle body if i have the cash...
    I also have all these things. PM me if interested in anything.
    Last edited by AHenry014; 01-29-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by mottati View Post
    the car should run ok with both dmes but the software is different for the manual vs auto. When i did my 6 speed swap on my 530iT, it was a dog, really flat in the midrange. Timing was being retarded because the dme with auto trans will retard timing when the trans shifts, or when not in gear, vs normal acceleration. Swapping the chip made a huge difference in performance.

But the car idled and ran fine, it was smooth etc. If you've got idle issues, something else is going on. Did the engine run ok in the donor car before the swap? Sure there are no vacuum leaks? Crank sensor ok?

I'd be a bit hesitant to use the dme that was flooded. Put the manual trans chip in the wagon's dme.
    It did run fine, just a bit rougher with a loud vacuum noise, swapped the old dme back in and it didn't do it again. Im going to take your advice though and just swap the chips for now, so id be fine taking the old manual 530 chip and throwing it in the tourings auto DME? (it was rained on so this could be the issue as well. It sounds like I have this problem, cus the low-mid range doesn't seem usual. Yes the donor motor prior to pulling ran fine and smooth, it just runs like this now. Their may be some vacuum leaks though, thats what im leading to believe now. We did have a rough time with the crank sensor, would this cause the idle? oh and the cars idle sits around 550 RPM which seems a tad low, and while the cars in neutral on the streets my cluster lights get brighter and dimmer as if the cars about to die. maybe the idles too low?

Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    i didnt read eventhing, but did you do the intake gaskets? if you have a rough idle, thats definitely where id start. And when you take a look at the condition of the knock sensors when you pull the intake, PM me, i have a nearly brand new set of Bosch knock sensors for sale .

As far as the diff goes, the 3.23 felt fine in my b40/6spd. The 5spd ratios are basically the first 5 of the 6spd. Without that overdrive gear, anything shorter than the 3.23 will be screaming at highway speeds! i get it though, with the power the b30 has, a gearing change will help it feel a bit faster.

And about the auto vs. manual chips. Mottati is correct, the auto chip is a little short on power below about 3krpm. And the idle will hang between shifts. I would definitely be using the manual 530i dme/chip. I do highly recommend DUDMD chips!

- - - Updated - - -

I also have all these things. PM me if interested in anything. Ill toss in an extra intake tube to help you diag the rough idle.
    The motor was just basically pulled and thrown into the touring. When it was running prior, it ran smooth! I do have new intake manifold gaskets, knock sensors, pcv valve, their just on my old motor, so when I upgrade to the B40 intake manifold and throttle body ill throw on the new maintenance items. My point exactly with the diff, its not bad, i just want a lil more ummmph, so im on the hunt for a S3.46
    As for the chip, im just going to end up swapping just the chips at the moment and see where it takes me. Now that I think about it the car did rev hang but only very slightly. Thanks for the input, and you've got a pm coming your way for the whole 540i intake mani + throttle body

My Cars
    94 M5T
    yes the manual chip will go into the auto dme, they're the same dme other than the chip programming. I didn't use a stock manual trans chip, but when i did the dudmd 530 manual chip onto my dme it did raise the idle speed up a little. Automatic trans is set to idle a little lower.
    Mike
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    94 E34 525iT times two
    this congratulations is quite a bit late, but great job on the thread! I know I already commented on your IG photo, but I cant explain how happy I am to see someone else share the passion of the e34 wagons that I have. even more so that we are round about the same age! ill have my own thread soon, more than likely when I get my license . (2 months away)

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    So after a couple weeks, im back at it with another update.

Here is a few legit shots of my touring over the past little while

**Note the new bumper that's not cracked/broken, should get painted soon,
    and also the ONE 540i duct

as well as a roller of anthonys e34 from earlier today.

this section is mainly devoted to chuddism... lol, my whole third brake light ordeal.

tightest spot ive ever had to solder in, less than a third of a cm of room,
    and joints still are still spot on contact and not touching. (4 prong connector)

finished product

Redid the foot well lighting, yes I need my drivers kickpanel on...

A photo of my horrible, cracked, chipped, broken tabbed, zip tied,
    misalligned previous bumper. lol.

Then two weeks after the swap and what I thought was a fresh motor,
    the water pump had started to leak...

New water pump, (metal impeller) as well as new o-rings and gaskets.

Oh, and metal thermostat housing as well as new thermostat.

Finally got around to pulling the manual chip out of the prior 530i/5's dme.
    Will throw the chip in tomorrow and see if it makes any difference (hopefully it increases my current 10MPG)

because I have vacuum issues as well, I thought, might as well pickup a B40 Intake mani and throttle body
    and do a complete intake reseal while I swap in the B40 manifold. So basically new gaskets and plates all around
    It should add twenty horses and make her idle properly. Thanks Alex (ahenry014) once again brotha!
    (comparison of bottom b30 mani/top b40 mani)

When installing the previous b30 intake sensor, the threads broke off in the whole sooooo

yeah... gay.

So that's it for this update, for now please enjoy this photo again because its my favorite.

Thanks

My Cars
    1995 540i6, 1999 M3 S/C

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    The last photo is great. Good progress man!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    E34
    Why didn't you just solder led's to the oem board?

My Cars
    525i Touring
    Good job on the third brake light. I like the LEDs. If it ever stops being so freaking cold in NY I may just try to drill the damn thing out.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    -Alex

My Cars
    1995 M5T Elekta
    Looks really good. Those 530's will run forever because they were never run out by the little old ladies that were the first owners. They also love a chip.

Wagon's with sticks....welcome to the club.

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by E34ührer View Post
    Why didn't you just solder led's to the oem board?
    because this project was half the cost of soldering them to the board, looked cooler, and was something different. You will start to see this on most of the new cars nowadays. Love your touring by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Elekta View Post
    Looks really good. Those 530's will run forever because they were never run out by the little old ladies that were the first owners. They also love a chip.

Wagon's with sticks....welcome to the club.
    This is horrible news. I plan on throwing a b40 in as soon as this motor dies, but if you say so... and thanks! It will end up getting a chip, most likely a DUDMD.
    and yeeeup! wagons with sticks are where its at! Glad to be a part of it (:

A cockpit shot

My CB radio install. Hardwired in as well as an external speaker for my PA system

Mostly back to the way it was, everything being tidied and fixed up for reinstall. Looks so clean!

Because their isn't enough space in a touring, I bought a roof rack for under 30 bucks (Future plans with this are in the works )

Will hopefully be installing the new B40 Intake manifold/TB this weekend
    as well as resealing the entire intake. Reaching for 255hp with a b40 IM/TB & DUDMD Performance Chip.

Thanks once again!

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    Didn't know they still made CB radios

Wagon is coming along nicely. Wish I only had $30 into my rack.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    540 SC -89, Compact M60
    Nice touring and great job. Interior looks very nice

Have you tested performance?

Mine -93 530A touring went 8,4 0-100km/h and 1/4 was 15,4

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    lol i did the CB radio and PA speaker back in the day too. The CB was awesome for long distance road trips/cruises with friends.
    -Alex

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530it
    Man, I want a $30 roof rack. Good work on your touring!

Holy crap, is that 8awg amp-install wire for that LED strip? I mean, you'll never have a problem with the wire heating up. lol.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Hey Kinghorn, the trunk lid you sold me is exactly what I wanted, thanks again. My current trunk didn't even have the little spring-loaded poppers, so I'm gaining functionality in addition to removing rust!

Somewhat on topic, a factory B30 5 speed (in the UK): http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/...-carpool/31742
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by cddallara View Post
    Didn't know they still made CB radios
    Wagon is coming along nicely. Wish I only had $30 into my rack.
    They do, they do. Thanks stud, and actually $32 and some change but your rack is 14x's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 516SC View Post
    Nice touring and great job. Interior looks very nice Have you tested performance? Mine -93 530A touring went 8,4 0-100km/h and 1/4 was 15,4
    Thanks, as for performance I have not tested yet. Need to though, and the local drag strips having something next month so ill get back to you then. Pretty good numbers for the quarter mile!
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    lol i did the CB radio and PA speaker back in the day too. The CB was awesome for long distance road trips/cruises with friends.
    Great minds think alike!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielWGK View Post
    Man, I want a $30 roof rack. Good work on your touring!
    Holy crap, is that 8awg amp-install wire for that LED strip? I mean, you'll never have a problem with the wire heating up. lol.
    Thank you sir! Yes it was 8awg wiring, but only for a foot or so. Wanted something that could handle the heat and not break or shred upon opening the tailgate/window ahahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Hey Kinghorn, the trunk lid you sold me is exactly what I wanted, thanks again. My current trunk didn't even have the little spring-loaded poppers, so I'm gaining functionality in addition to removing rust! Somewhat on topic, a factory B30 5 speed (in the UK): http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/...-carpool/31742
    Great news Brent! Glad it everything worked out. and Sorta sad, but id trade my touring for that euro spec RHD one in a heartbeat....

A small update:

-I got grounded, (HA!) so my keys were taken away. Thought I had spares, but I don't, fml.

-Although they tried to shut me down, progress doesn't stop...
    Probably two months back, I was looking for diff options, saw that most 535i/5's had LSD's
    remembered that we have a 535i/5 as a parts car, ran the vin and came back to be a S3.46 w/ 25% locking rate

(Photo is of our Third Parts car E34, this one being a 535i/5 that was a donor.
    Sorry for the iphone pics, didn't want to take camera down into Mexico)

Rear seal is toast. $10 gasket, new input shaft, and needs new fluid anyway.

My work area, lol.

My boy chewy helpin out

and also pulled an m20 head that was recently resurfaced and refurbished
    less than 200 miles before me pulling it. **FOR SALE**

and that's about it. thanks for reading!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast