Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Finally, E34 Touring...

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd

Finally, E34 Touring...

New here to bimmer forums, just wanted to throw up a build thread for my first love. I've been neglecting to write this up for a while, but here goes.

I've always been fond of tourings (especially merc wagons), and since my brother had already picked up a e34 and we had two parts cars I felt as if it was destined. An e34 touring. I Started the hunt in Oct. of 2013 and found one or two that had met the criteria but weren't up to par and many wouldn't pass smog. Upon my daily routine scouring craigslist, I noticed one that had met the criteria and had started making moves. A few long days later, a 1995 BMW 530iT was parked outside looking too stylish . Of course it needs work, along with ac, and a radio, and a whole new front bumper, and a drivers door, and while im their a whole new rear tailgate as im dealing with those dreadful closing/opening issues that most other touring owners have to deal with. M60b30 with 136k on the clock, i was ecstatic. I got my licence yesterday (16 - but dont let age fool you) and have parts coming in on the daily. Plans for the build is for now getting the car back to stock as much as i can, dealing with the five previous owners mistakes, full tune-up from water pump to maybe valley pan (The common m60b30 winter rough idle got to the touring... pretty badly too), a total wash detail buff and wax day on her, a complete 16pc. front suspension kit off fleabay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-16...-/300661328108)... Eventually later down the road is an 530i manual transmission, 540i intake manifold and throttle body, self leveling rear suspension delete, and some jom blueline coilovers for a sedan that are going to be a pain to fit but has been done before, and other small things to make the car look as clean as possible.

Want to have her show ready for Bimmerfest West on the 17th of may so i can hopefully meet lots of the members on here and learn from your wisdom. I would like to eventually contribute back to this forum as so far most of my learnings have been from most of you.

My brothers '95 525i & My 95' 530i

Can report that the double sunroofs in working order

And some photos from the fs add...

Was to excited early on so just wanted to install some red tail light tint & a eruo plate just to spruce her up a bit...

A comparison...

The beast at sleep

Sorry for the excessive pics, and blabbering. Build will be a slow build as I am still in high school so funds will be low for a while (Although, most if not all my funds will be torwards the wagon)... I wont update the thread much but will have major updates rarely. Comments & Criticism welcome, please share your opinions, as i am still young and want to learn from everyone on bimmerforums.

I also have a brother that lives with me who owns a e30touring, black on tan as well. Would post side-by-sides but his tourings in the shop (throwing a m30 turbo'd motor in it as well as a full m-tech ii kit and some style 19's) and will post photos of them together as soon as its possible.
    -Photos shot with a canon eos rebel t2i with a tamron 28-200mm 3.8 lens or the stock 18-55mm lens.

My Cars
    09 535ix
    Nice car man... 16?! You're way more ambitious than I was at 16. I was just happy to drive!

Sent with a 0 and 1 creating smoke signal generator
    RIP Jess or the idea of Jess or... what OT was.. or whatever...

My Cars
    525i Touring
    Congrats. Looks like a lot of tourings coming up these days. Have fun with it.

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDavidsCourt View Post
    Nice car man... 16?! You're way more ambitious than I was at 16. I was just happy to drive!
    Thanks. I've been around cars and forums for pretty much half my life. So I've been gathering knowledge and the how-to's for quite some time. Have five brothers, most of em with beemers! But Found the car for quite a steal after searching for six months, although im somewhat sad that these cars were worth upwards of 40k new..., and today you can find them for a decent price! I feel like im robbing someone here ... But Congrats as well on your calyspo touring man! Things a real looker, (always wanted a calypso but parents said it must be black...) Glad to hear the e34 touring community is still alive! and goodluck with your build.

Quote Originally Posted by chuddism View Post
    Congrats. Looks like a lot of tourings coming up these days. Have fun with it.
    Thanks man, and that's always a good thing! I've always been thinking Bf needs to have a sub-division just for e34 tourings, as they do with the e39 tourings.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Welcome! A+ thread for a 16yo... Most of them just want to know whether stickers or yellow paint add the most HP.

Sorry to say that eBay suspension is junk. I understand you don't have any money so maybe it is the best thing for the moment, but some have been known to last >1000 miles. I'd honestly rather go with used good parts than eBay.

My Cars
    E34M30
    Respect to you, padawan. What exhaust manifold is your friend using on that turbo m30?
    -Roger
    1989 535i/m
    MUCH AWESOME, SO WOW, FAST TOO

My Cars
    are fun!
    Welcome and nice start. It's a perfect candidate for a 540/6 swap but I understand that you are dealing with a 16 year old, going to school budget.

Cheers,

Jim
    1990 M3
    1995 E34 540/6
    1992 525it

My Cars
    ///M5
    Awesome start!! I got started on these cars at 17.. Never too young.

Welcome!

Leo
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    95 540i/6 07 cibic si
    Congrats on the car and license! Curious why your parents insisted in a black car though, although it's a fine choice.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Welcome! I love that you are rescuing it, and how fearless you are. Congrats!

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Nice looking wagon there, e34 wagons are great looking cars. I got my 7 at 17, no need to rush on the modding as you will have a lot of time. I focused too much on modding early and let the maintenance slip a little and it took some time to get it back up to my standards. Just be mindful of how you spend on it and enjoy. Congrats

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstProject View Post
    Respect to you, padawan. What exhaust manifold is your friend using on that turbo m30?
    Its a good and tight turbo manifold... On that note, dont want to thread jack the thread, but... I like teasers...

(legit photo shoot to come once he finishes installing the mtech ii kit and respray's it!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Welcome! A+ thread for a 16yo... Most of them just want to know whether stickers or yellow paint add the most HP.

Sorry to say that eBay suspension is junk. I understand you don't have any money so maybe it is the best thing for the moment, but some have been known to last >1000 miles. I'd honestly rather go with used good parts than eBay.
    Thanks, and what do you think I should go with? I want the touring to feel like its back on rails, and the front suspension is really loose and sloppy. I have a budget though which is why I was looking at the eBay stuff... So should i just start saving up and going for oem pieces one at a time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonator134 View Post
    Awesome start!! I got started on these cars at 17.. Never too young. Welcome! Leo
    Agreed! Better to start in a bimmer with so much info on everything listed on sites and manuals than other cars... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thatonedood View Post
    Congrats on the car and license! Curious why your parents insisted in a black car though, although it's a fine choice.
    Honestly, I don't get it either. My dad started buying only black cars thirty years ago. Since, its only been black cars in our driveway... Im not too fond of the rule either, don't get me wrong, I love Shwarz, but I Definitely wouldn't mind a calyspo red e34 touring lowered on m-parallels...

Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    Welcome! I love that you are rescuing it, and how fearless you are. Congrats!
    Thanks, I feel like I am fearless, but shouldn't be. Already blew a few fuses with some wiring , But ill work on it and hopefully become a g.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriabmw27 View Post
    Nice looking wagon there, e34 wagons are great looking cars. I got my 7 at 17, no need to rush on the modding as you will have a lot of time. I focused too much on modding early and let the maintenance slip a little and it took some time to get it back up to my standards. Just be mindful of how you spend on it and enjoy. Congrats
    A part of me wants to just tweek every little thing about the car, but at the same time I know maintenance is a must. Thanks, and enjoy the 7 man! looks really clean!

Quote Originally Posted by IronmanE30 View Post
    Welcome and nice start. It's a perfect candidate for a 540/6 swap but I understand that you are dealing with a 16 year old, going to school budget. Cheers, Jim
    One can only dream! But for now and with my budget, im planning on picking up a 530i manual tranny because apparently the manual transmission off a 530i bolts onto a 540i? Correct me if im wrong but that's what I read somewhere. Anyways, pickup a manual tranny install that along with a 540i throttle body and intake manifold to get me at around 250hp and eventually when i have the moneys, 540i motor. But not for a while. Thanks though!

So since spring break has finally started, decided to start some spring cleaning. Shampooed the feet carpets (soon im planning on doing the rear section)
    wiped down seats with special cleaners started with removing the entire rear section.

Got that cleaned up, moved on to the front end as the previous owner bunked a curb...
    Had to zip-tie the front bumper (unfortunately) so the mounting points would line up for the trim piece, polished the trim and plate mount

Made a binder for the car that holds all; paperwork, smogs, inspections, and receipts.

Whilst I was at a junkyard scoping for parts for the touring, I had seen an e32
    with tan reading lights and had earlier read on this forum that you could hard wire them in.
    So I did just that

Had to hard wire them in because they had different connectors, but still made it removable...

Final product

And a comparison...

**Feel free to skip this really boring, long, and dreadful story. Pictures are worth a thousand words*

A few years ago, I had put about a total of 30 hours into this bike. Black rims, with a chrome lip, gears, and custom paint (1 stage with a clear as well that took place in my shed)
    and eventually lost interest after a few years. Decided to sell it two years ago so I threw it up on craigslist for $140 or best offer. A week later (after a few calls) got some guy working for the military
    that was very interested in the bike so asked for i.d. and later met him at nearby by park. The guy enjoyed mountain bike riding (as do I) so he offered $120 which was still a really good offer for the bike so I decided to tell him i would take 20 bucks off because of his service and so he thanked me and we split ways... We walked a few steps away, and he stopped me right quick. He said he couldn't fit the bike in his car with his two twelve inch subs in, and so he asked if I would take them and of course I said sure. We were both really excited with our new toys but of course I had no car to install them in so I eventually walked 15 minutes home with two giant twelve inch subs in one woofer looking like I had stole them. They eventually just sat in my shed for two years (not even sure if they had worked)

Basically, this is where I would like to get it at. Saw this on instagram and was instantly amazed.
    I was surprised because it looks so clean and oem! Definitely on my to do list before bimmer fest...

Started wiring up my Kenwood amp...
    Going through the stock amp for the touring that's in the back

My 12v constant wire (spliced into the 12v constant wire that runs to the stock amp -should be white-)

My ground (hard to tell but yes its sanded down).

This happened after a little bit of wiring... Definitely slowed me down throughout the day

Almost done wiring up the amp, just a few more touches to make it clean as possible

All wired up with the speaker wire coming out through behind the rear seats!

All connected and powered as well, although the subs conflict with pretty much everything...
    I need to hurry up on the box, the more I look at the example above the more I want it!

Wired up and connected, don't mind the extra wires as those have been properly tucked away as of now.
    I'm glad that I ran the wires behind the plate, looks to clean!

And so far that is it. Ordering parts off my part list tomorrow so we can get this maintenance over with.
    Thanks for reading, sorry to bore you with another long and non-exuberant post.

Last edited by Kinghorn; 03-25-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: errors!

My Cars
    1997 bmw m3
    Honestly I'm jealous. I'm 19 and I have half the balls and motivation as you to get things done with my touring. Props to you for gettin shit done, good looking touring too!

My Cars
    1994 525i
    Respect dude

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Whats up bf.c
    Been a while due to school/testing/homework. Anyways finally got enough time to write up this post, as I have been collecting the pictures for weeks.

So the paint looked like it was starting to go (esp. on the hood) with little clear so decided to donate a few hours
    of my time to freshening up the paint... (wish it turned out to be only a few hours)

Only the first of four steps and it already was looking heaps better.

Roof was horrible, and PO left me with a foot and a half dent/scratch right down the center
    -before/after

After it was cut and feeelin smooth like a babys bottom,
    i used a polymer based polish to rebuild the clear for now

Project Complete. Started at 12:30 in the afternoon and finished at 2am. Then woke up at 8 to start the wax process for another 3 hrs.

So I started nit picking all the stuff that is going and started replacing, most isn't pictured but you get the idea.

Ordered a led interior light kit from 'sse34 that turned out to be excellent,
    with great customer service just need a few map light ones now...

Picked up a phone holder from walmart for 20$ and found the perfect mount point...
    just a idea for other e34 owners (illegal to be on your phone while driving in cali (not that im driving while on the phone or anythin))

6K HID's, picked up a fog light, then wrapped 'em both (sorry layne).

The Interior led lights are brighter than whats pictured i just dont have led map lights

Finished up and closed up shop for the night. The next day I took the wagon to its first meet that I had been planning
    on attending for quite a while (which prompted the detail/extra shenanigans) and took off with a few friends late in the day.

And my friends '32 hot rod that I cruised over with

Limped it home, twas leaking coolant but couldn't tell from where so threw in a lot of distilled water for the time being...
    and honestly, it was really embarrassing.

At first I had thought valley pan (Que Beethoven's 5th symphony) and then proceeded to almost tear up because 'not now'.
    anyways, looked at it and sourced the leak which happened to be the radiator... (for the time being)

Pulled it and saw this, but question. would this cause the leak in coolant?

Decided to pull one at a yard, and get warranty on it as well.
    So i pulled a 740i radiator off (Still had the factory sticker on it) and even though the part numbers lined up, they were different.
    Same outlets for the hoses but the e32 rad is a half inch thicker which messes with the mounts and also had no mounts for the tranny cooler so those were drilled in

Got everything up and running tight

During the process lost a lot of atf while I had the transmission cooler hoses off so I had to go out and buy a liquid pump
    and a 17mm allen key to pump atf into the transmission. Glad I did so because now she shifts so much quicker and smoother.

After coming home from track practice yesterday, I noticed a drip of coolant so I thought, here we go again...
    but this time, it was leaking down the top of the block . Is this valley pan? I hope it was a illusion or something because
    I would have to start saving 2 months ago to be able to do the full m60 service all the way down to valley pan and was expecting to do that around june anyways.

Anyways, that is it for now. Thanks for reading.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5
    Hey kinghorn,

Was the paint on your rear bumper sun damaged? Mine looks at the at the moment and lastly, did you paint the inner tail lights? I really wanna get rid of the white portion of em

Thanks,

John

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    By the looks of it now, it isn't. Before it looked as if it was starting to become sun damaged as their was little to no clear on causing the damage, but after detailing it, it cleared up a tad bit and you can hardly tell the sun damage is beginning...
    And as for the tail lights/inners john, I suggest wrapping them in red film ( The product I went with ) because touring tails are a bit harder to come by as the sedan tails do not fit the touring. Using film, you can always remove if you ever need to which is a big plus. A down side is that it does leave my reverse lights a pinkish hue but doesn't effect it too much.

Anyways, let me know if you need anything else or would like to know the process for clearing up the rear bumper!

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5
    So right about touring parts- they're harder to come by now. The vinyl job looks very well done to me! I might just get a set for mine since I've been planning on redding then out anyway

And as for the the detailing/wax/polish I'm definitely interested in the steps you took.

A porter cable is definitely on my list to get

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleJC View Post
    So right about touring parts- they're harder to come by now. The vinyl job looks very well done to me! I might just get a set for mine since I've been planning on redding then out anyway

And as for the the detailing/wax/polish I'm definitely interested in the steps you took.

A porter cable is definitely on my list to get
    PM'ed you the steps, and its definitely worth the investment!

Started to get tired and annoyed with the ever so stock tan interior, and had daily'ed my brothers black o/ black 525i and needed a black interior so all this happened.

Saw photos like this ^ of John's beautiful interior (doubleJC) with the black upper door sills and black dash
    as well as other examples which and led into this...
    (For a greater depth on the idea, view This Thread)

Yes, dash/whole front interior removal and replacement was by far the toughest job I've done on the car so far but was so well worth it.
    Total time was 8 hours of install. Afterwards on the test runs, no noises or squeaks from the dash so YES the dash is doable for anyone,
    if a 16 year old like me could get it, as could you. Just be patient, alert, and aware on both portions but mainly the install portion.
    On to the full pics as they do the best talking...

Starting out at stock.

Pulled all this out of the parts car that we own

Had the idea of doing a brushed aluminium trim instead of the stock to give it more of an updated look that hasn't been done too much (c.f. would've been overkill)

Testingit out on some black door panels...

And this fool, hes sad because the new baby in the house is the e34 touring

the last sampler before it goes down...

Couldn't take many photos as the process was difficult and had me too involved but

Its not completely done. The only things that aren't done are the driver/passenger door panels. Ill debut the whole thing soon...

Other than that, finally got around to some legit bimmer fest prep

Painted the rims/grille with plasti-dip which is removable just didnt want to roll up to bfest in a stock e34. Might have some different bbs's in the works soon.
    Funny thing is your thinking maybe the 2 piece or 3 piece bbs's. More like style 29 bbs's ahahaha. Teenager budget, sorry.
    While those were drying cleaned/prepped brakes...

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    Nice work. I like the two toned interior, the tan gets to be a bit much for me and I don't even have tan interior
    wanna come to NorCal and detail my pos?
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    That is a cool looking cat! Your car work isn't bad either.

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i Sport
    Consider me impressed. It took me 10+ years of working on cars to reach the level that you're at now. Nicely done.

My Cars
    are fun!
    I agree, you have come a long way and your hard work has really paid off. I wish I would have checked out your car more at Bimmerfest.

Cheers,

Jim
    1990 M3
    1995 E34 540/6
    1992 525it

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    Woooow, mad respect..

at your age i had that drive/ambition but not quiet that nice of an execution.. (Made lot of mistakes)
    wish you came to our e34 group at bimmerfest! Hit me up any since your in socal, im planning a small group meet for (race against cancer) and big socal euro.. You should come..

Both are car shows, both let you race if you choose so..
    1995 540i /6 speed, Black on black, VF m62 S/C kit v3 6psi - Cold air intake/ SSSquid Tune/racing exhuast, Vortech 8:1 RRFPR ,545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro seats, N2O, M/T drag slicks
    "Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
    R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013

My Cars
    1996 BMW e34 Touring
    Hey mate, love what you've done so far, some good progress! i also got my e34 touring at your age!

IMG_3345

This is mine a few months ago, meaning to get some more recent photos but haven't had time recently, also, that picture you found on instagram of the speakers...

IMG_7651

that would be my car! haha, keep up the good work, love seeing the tourings getting some love, they're very thin on the ground in Australia!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast