Thread: how to bench test a 16:9 bordmonitor?

My Cars
    BMW X5

how to bench test a 16:9 bordmonitor?

I am trying to benchtest a bordmonitor but I cannot figure out if it's required an iBus message or it should power up if I only connect it to power.
    On the car doesn't seem to work and going by the connectors pinout I should be able to power it on by applying ground on pin 2 and +12V on pin 7 and 11 on the blue connector. Although by in the pinout pin 11 is the switched 12V when I measured it on the car harness this pin 11 is not populated. That makes me think that I need an iBus message to get the bordmonotor powered up.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

The easiest way would be to find an E39 or E53 or E38 with the GPS setup and plug the monitor you wish to test. If it powers up and displays an image then you are good to go. This is how I've tested the ones I've had to sell on. Trying to bench test takes up too much time and lots of faffing about !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BMW X5
    My car came with nav but the previous owner installed a kenwood HU which sucks and I want to go back to the original equipment. I got a bordmonitor but when I connect it to the harness it doesn't do anything. I am not sure if the radio and anything else is its place. I have to wait for a warmer day to check the rest of the iBus modules.
    Since I can work inside I was wondering if I can test the module on the bench. None of my other BMWs or my friend's BMWs have bordmonitor so to test it on a car is not an option right now.

My Cars
    z3
    Do you have the navigation module in the trunk?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    fmugur - do you happen to have a similar drawing of the pinouts for a Nav unit (ie - a MKIII or MKIV)?
    Thanks.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    BMW X5
    yeah, I have the mk4 and I think the amp is the DSP amp.

Here is a good page for pinout info:

http://www.online-rubin.de/pinout.htm

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Previously, I had wanted to have a working BMW oem satnav system on a bench inside so I could unplug and swap in modules to test to see if they work. Vaguely, I think you'll need the loom, monitor, GPS computer and amplifier as a minimum connected up in order to have a working setup. Miss any of those out, and it all won't work. I might be wrong on this, but it's not far off, I dropped the idea at that point!

By spending time on working out which pin does what on the connector to the monitor, getting them connected to a source to enable it to work etc, you might as well put the monitor into a box and post it to someone who's willing to test it in their car for you and then send it back !

Or you can do some fault finding in your car, trace the loom wires back and work out which wire goes where if it's missing or been cut so that you can 'restore' it to a working loom. You can then plug all the oem modules in and then you can test to see if the monitor and other modules work!

Now I've said that, someone will post up a how to on making just the monitor on it's own work !!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BMW X5
    Thanks Dennis. Here is what I found. I have DSP amp but some wires got cut and they connect to some crossover boxes. The sub woofer is connected (this is an X5) but the speakers were removed from it. There was third-party sub woofer amp in the trunk I assume since I found the RCA connectors and thick power cables. At this point I am not sure if it's worth it to go back to the original NAV or get an AVIN and put it in using this setup.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by fmugur View Post
    yeah, I have the mk4 and I think the amp is the DSP amp.

Here is a good page for pinout info:

http://www.online-rubin.de/pinout.htm
    Thank you very much for that link - it's excellent!
    Appreciate it, and I know it will come in handy.
    I've wanted the pinouts for a Nav unit for quite a while now.......
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    -BUMP-

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thank you
    -Chris

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Mxchris,

take a read at response number 7 in this thread

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi Mxchris,

take a read at response number 7 in this thread

Cheers, Dennis!
    Thank you, but I am buying a new monitor for my stored car. I can not connect the harness to my E46, so bench testing would be the only way. Where on the harness is the main power connection to the fuse box? I will try to simulate the entire system being installed into the car.
    -Chris

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Perhaps scour through threads in the E46 section to see if anyone has referenced where on the loom various pins are etc. You'll need to connect up the GPS computer and amplifier etc in order for it to power up at which point you can connect the monitor to see if it works.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    01 E39 530i,05 E53 4.8IS
    I think you can.........

You need the following.

1. laptop or any pc
    2. Ibus interface - USB or RS232
    3. DC psu for powering the monitor
    4. Ibus checksum or similar - Navcoder.....google search both software.

Once pc/software is running and BMW monitor 12v powered up and Ibus wire connected to the interface.

Run ibus checksum or navcoder and test with message = 0x00,0x04,0x43,0x02,0x00,0x45 and/or 00 04 43 02 00 45

See also Ibus codes.

Hope this helps.
    01 E39 530i - SOLD !
    05 E53 4.8is

Pics of Bianca (E39) and Betsy (E53)

My Cars
    525dA E60
    Hi all.

I had the same issue, wanted to bench test hardware before installation. I am doing a retrofit of 16:9, Nav, BM54 etc. to my E46 cabrio, but as its winter and had no other chance to test the gear, I had to get whole setup running at my home.

You need:

Hardware:

1 psu 12V amps 5+
    1 modded VAG COM kkl 409.1 OBD-cable, you can find alla the info from internet, you need few resistors and one transistor.
    few extra wires for connections

Of course you have to have the cable set for connecting all the stuff together, bm54/nav/16:9 display etc..

Software:

Navcoder (get it from internet).

So you have to tap in to iBus pin with the OBD cable, iBus pin is OBD pin 7, you also need to connect the +12v (pin 16) and ground (pins 4/5). Easiest place is where ever you can find it, all the devices have it (BM54,16:9,Nav,cd-changer).

When you have all connected and you are sure that you have a solid connection, power up the whole set. After this press the power on button on the head unit, and you should see that a message will go in navcoder screen "Ignition on request" or similar.

Open navcoder and go to "Tools" and "message tester" in the box type 80 04 BF 11 03 29 and next click "Transmit msg" and Voila, you have power on and you can test everything at home =D

Remember to connect power to ACC, 12v+ etc, you can find the pinouts from google.

Happy testing!

Pete

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, not my native..

My Cars
    b
    I have same question but only about radio module.
    Is it possible to bench test it alone? It was cheap enough so I ordered Reslers usb module.
    I connected radiomodule to +12v,ACC, GND and ibus pins. When i am trying to send 80 04 BF 11 03 29 it doesnt show anything in navcoder.
    Tried to use Ibus Analyser soft, when sending checksum it just shows Bus Busy...
    I tried usb module in friends car - i can confirm that its reads and sends commends with the same laptop and configuration.

Could it be that the radiomodule is defective? Or i have to connect all devices (16:9 etc)?
    Last edited by zero99; 08-27-2017 at 11:24 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    I have MK4 with 2 connectors of 12 pins.
    Anyway to test the unit or at least the screen without connecting to K line? I.e just power and ground?