Thread: 2002 E46 330xi Suspension Clunking

My Cars
    2003 330xi 4dr

Unhappy 2002 E46 330xi Suspension Clunking

I have a 2002 330xi with 92Kmi. There is a clunking/rattle noise that seems to be coming from the front suspension. I inspected the lower control arm components and found the bushings to be very worn and the ball joints at the wheel were a little loose. So I replaced the bushings on both sides and installed a new lower control arms with new ball joints as well. The front suspension does feel tighter but the clunk/rattle is still there. %$$#@@%^&^$$! So my big question is could this noise be coming from the struts or could it be something else? Please advise me I would be very grateful. Thanks.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Perhaps the sway bar end links?

My Cars
    2000 323i, 04 & 05 330xi
    Clunking/rattle noise? have a 2004 330xi with the same issue. Haven't got into it yet, but the 323i had both lower control arms and the small links 10-12" long replaced too. As I reading up on these cars; if your like I am - I enjoy pushing the car hard; switchback are a favorite.

I'll try and keep you posted on our progress here, I enjoy getting into these problems and fixing them. Just looked, yep there are control links that could be making the rattle noise, the other things I've noticed is the air-conditioning dryer (silver bottle, outside frame, underside) bracket on ours is broke, and the secondary air pump bushings are broke too! Both I think could be suspect.

Did you do the control arms, or have them done? If so was it very hard?
    Last edited by 323i jlviii; 03-23-2014 at 03:45 PM.

My Cars
    2003 330xi 4dr
    Thanks for the input guys, Yes I did install new lower control arms with ball joints and also the bushings. Need the right tools but not too hard. Worst of it was pressing the bushings out of the brackets. Pay attention to the positioning of the bushings. They are not symetrical. If you use aftermarket control arms pay close attention to the OD of the stud on the control arm that engages the bushing. Looks like they tend to be too large (about .008 to .010") and it makes getting the bushing onto the control arm impossible. We had to sand ours down to get it to work kinda hassle. I think it's why the part got a 2.5 rating at the supplier web site.

My Cars
    2003 330xi 4dr
    TO all that replied thanks very much. It turned out to be a loose nut on the sway bar connection passenger side at the strut. Thanks again