Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Here at last: jjjjjjj's turbo build.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    I'm really torn about the Getrag matter. I mean it's just sitting there and has always shifted perfect for me... And I'm realistically only about $600-ish away from having everything I need to get it running without including the added expense of a ZF + driveshaft.

On the other hand pulling the transmission while in the car just isn't my idea of fun nor is breaking down at the track or anywhere else. All the "local" drift events are at least a 3 hour drive for me and I don't exactly have a tow rig. I think wisdom will prevail on this one despite the added delays and cost.

I will definitely get the F1 clutch and flywheel, don't want to really compromise there too much
    Last edited by jjjjjjj; 04-11-2014 at 02:17 PM.

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj View Post
    I'm really torn about the Getrag matter. I mean it's just sitting there and has always shifted perfect for me... And I'm realistically only about $600-ish away from having everything I need to get it running without including the added expense of a ZF + driveshaft.

On the other hand pulling the transmission while in the car just isn't my idea of fun nor is breaking down at the track or anywhere else. All the "local" drift events are at least a 3 hour drive for me and I don't exactly have a tow rig. I think wisdom will prevail on this one despite the added delays and cost.

I will definitely get the F1 clutch and flywheel, don't want to really compromise there too much
    i suggest also using the highest quality pilot bearing and throwout bearing you can find. i'm about 1000K into my f1 stage 3 and am having to replace the pilot bearing that came supplied with it and am gonna change my throwout while i'm at it. going to inspect the rear main seal for leakages and replace that if need be

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I think my ZF is on the way out. The input shaft is taking a beating from the twin disc.
    it only has taken a million miles of abuse lol
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post

it only has taken a million miles of abuse lol
    Pretty much,
    im getting a vibration @ light throttle highway cruise. On the decal its gone, also acceleration its gone. But could be the DSS driveshaft.
    Also need a rear alignment. I will pin point it.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Going slowly but surely. I've pretty much decided to just go with the Getrag trans. I already have a nice short shifter, it's an old-school $500 "ultimate" complete kit from Bavarian Autosport that was installed back in like 1995 or 1996 believe it or not. Has always provided super-tight, notchy-in-a-good-way shifting and has never let me down so I'm gonna ride it until it breaks. My reasoning is that it's going to cost minimum $700 for trans+driveshaft+linkage and then another $400+ to get the shifter action I'm already used to and that's just more than I can spend right now on stuff that "might break". Used Getrags are all over for less than $200 so I guess it will be an experiment for now... if I break 2 Getrags then it becomes fact lol

I will eventually be running an oil cooler, I figure "stage 2" for me will be ZF, oil cooler mounted behind the kidneys, and some sort of boost gauge/controller setup and maybe a tune revision if needed. I'd also like to get a better BOV, I know there are some Synapse units that also support the draw-through as I won't be able to vent to atmosphere for the most awesome turbo sounds I'll be relying on the wastegate for now, it came with 2 springs so who knows.. i was told 9-10 psi and from the looks of the hard-to-find AA turbo videos I've seen it will surely scream like that! I'll be also be picking up a few things from RallyRoad for oil feed so that upgraded clutch pin will be on the list too. Already placed an ECS order for the rest of the gaskets and stuff i'll need so I should be on pace to finish by about the time I can afford the clutch or even faster if someone buys my old engine and other stuff quickly.

I pulled the cams and head on Easter, went pretty smoothly. I just watched the videos and etched everything I could to mark the spots for reassembly. Cams were piece of cake using the mybimmerspace.com method, no drama whatsoever. I found a shop in town that will resurface my head for $100 so really my only big purchase left will be the F1 S3 clutch/flywheel. I'll also be sanding/painting all of the turbo piping, probably a nice stealthy high-temp black as it's chipping and a little beat-up.

So in case you were wondering, an S52 makes a great iPad stand:

208k, nothing but synthetic:

And on to the bottom-end stuff:

I need to figure out what to do for turbo drain. Does it really "need" to be welded..? seems like better insurance but I guess I'll have to start to looking at fittings soon.

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    The "mess" we see in your pictures bleeds nothing but progress! Keep it up man!

My Cars
    95 M3
    I drilled and tapped my pan. Installed the fitti g with a little black RTV, no leaks thus far.
    WOT

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Yeah my backyard garage/shop is huge (1200 sqft and a big part of why this rent house was chosen )but is full of boxes, parts, toys, music gear and motorcycles... It pretty much doubles at the attic too. I'll be pushing the car out pretty soon to wash the engine bay and planned on cleaning shop a little.

I was thinking about just drilling and screwing in some sort of fitting that attaches on the inside too. Not sure why a simple hose and clamp wouldn't do the job on the outside because that's what's on the turbo.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    try to find a part that works like a bulkhead fitting.

Something like this (but cheaper and smaller) http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANJO-TF200S...-/221378364445

You could insert a hose joint in that one, or find something even more suitable. (like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Wade-mal...item19e561af02 )

No need to weld that oil-infused cast aluminium then, and just as secure. AND you wont have to make threads in the same crappy aluminium

Or if you want to go all fancy:
    http://www.product-engr.com/images/ss_fittings_6.jpg
    Allthough I dislike such a design because the 'loose' part is on the inside, where with the simple bulkhead fitting, the nut is on the outside.
    Last edited by daandaman; 04-24-2014 at 07:12 AM.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Cool, thanks for the ideas! I was thinking along the lines of how that first one mounts but with a simple hose fitting. I'm very weary of threading anything into that aluminum or having a nut fall off into the pan!

So I had a realization that my shifter won't work at all with the ZF anyways and might actually be worth something so I think I'll just try to sell it all, wait it out, cut my losses and find a ZF. I don't want to break the transmission before I can even make it to the track or even worse at the track.

My Cars
    E30 M50B28 Turbo
    Just freakin' wow!

208k, nothing but synthetic:

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    lol not sure if that was sarcasm or not. I thought it was pretty clean in there compared to some others i have seen.

The trays and cams were quite clean as well:

My Cars
    E30 M50B28 Turbo
    No, no sarc. Just amazing what good oil (and changing it) can do for engine cleanliness. If ever there was an advert for synth, that's it.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Can someone explain the pros/cons of the two RallyRoad oil feed locations, vanos bolt vs oil sensor for a bottom mount turbo?

Also thinking about getting this for oil drain, any foreseeable problems?

image-2039753884.jpg

It also comes like this but not sure if I want to go with the AN lines :

image-2036344479.jpg

Figured I'd drill the pan, mount and weld the nut after tightening it on the inside. Thoughts?

Getting my head back from the machine shop Monday or Tuesday and will begin reassembly, was resurfaced with a 3-angle valve job.

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Can someone explain the pros/cons of the two RallyRoad oil feed locations, vanos bolt vs oil sensor for a bottom mount turbo?

Also thinking about getting this for oil drain, any foreseeable problems?

image-2039753884.jpg

It also comes like this but not sure if I want to go with the AN lines :

image-2036344479.jpg

Figured I'd drill the pan, mount and weld the nut after tightening it on the inside. Thoughts?

Getting my head back from the machine shop Monday or Tuesday and will begin reassembly, was resurfaced with a 3-angle valve job.

How big is the diameter of that fitting? It's a little hard to tell the size of that thing just by looking at the picture.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    it's for a 5/8" ID line, I believe 10AN is what the other one is. My turbo already has a 5/8" ID line on it with a hose clamp.
    Last edited by jjjjjjj; 05-17-2014 at 05:21 PM.

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    it's for a 5/8" ID line, I believe 10AN is what the other one is. My turbo already has a 5/8" ID line on it with a hose clamp.
    Ah ok that's what I had on my TT stage 2 setup and it worked fine. Looked smaller than that from the picture just making sure you're not creating a 'bottle neck' before the drain which could create smoking and other issues.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Thanks! seems like a pretty good angle too.

What about the oil feed location? Vanos bolt or oil sensor

My Cars
    03 M3,Turbo E36 M3, D675
    Vanos bolt

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    I have vanos bolt as well but I don't see that there would really be much advantage/ disadvantage either way.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    is it 2 nuts or is the one on the front part of the assembly? if it is it looks like you might be close on getting a majority of those threads engaged. it looks like its nickel plated brass? I did an aluminum -10 with the nut welded inside. I also used a washer with a thread seal molded into it. works great.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    i use vanos bolt, works good. the only issue is if for any reason you need to remove that bolt you'll probably have to remove the rad hose underneath it

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    I'm hoping it's threaded with 2 nuts, seems like it could be fine-tuned into position a little better if it is. All I have is a cheap wire feed welder so welding aluminum is out of the question. I'm just hoping to be able to tack it to itself so it doesn't fall apart later.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Updates from my build, i'll leave this here too. Been moving in slow-motion due to family matters but things are looking up! Took head to local machine shop to get a basic resurface for MLS hg... ended up feeling guilty and was "talked into" a full valve job/the works. That's ok, best not to cheap out as it was over 200k and about to see boost. I know we've all seen pics but it's just a beautiful sight:

Also figured it was never too late for a little extra spring cleaning:

I really, really want to further strip and paint the engine bay glossy alpine but idk... I'll revisit that urge and maybe get e46 control arms after I pull the front subframe to weld the reinforcements. If $$$ was right I would paint (DIY) engine bay, new twisty skirts and M3 bumpers all at once lol.

My AA turbo piping needs a little love so figured I would clean in all up and paint it with a high-temp black but it's actually polishing up pretty decent. Same with the muffler, it was sprayed completely black and had bumper plastic stuck to it so stripping/polishing it as well.

Before:

After, still a long way to go:

So I have the bottom end all torqued down on the S52 and will start on sealing the head tomorrow, here's how it sits as of last night:

Going with a used MLS .140 and arp2000 studs, copper spray and lots of wishful thinking Block resurfaced for MLS 50+/- miles ago, head like new with same finish so i'm not too concerned. I'll be checking the torque for a few days, no rush here. That plus poor surface prep seems to be the source of all of the used MLS horror stories i've read about so i'm staying positive... Budget is long since gone so still hoping to sell some of my old parts to buy F1 clutch kit , ZF & ZF swap parts, wideband and other guages, couplers, etc, etc.

Oh and I got that 90 degree oil drain fitting and a vanos oil feed, more on that later when I finally get there...

Looking more and more like unless I feel like breaking a Getrag I may not see the track this year

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Looking good!!! Have you sourced a zf trans yet? If so how much. I may have one for sale for a really good deal.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast