Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Track Car - S50 to LS1

My Cars
    02 M3
    Small update. Next big update will be in 2 weeks!

Today I decided to toss on the 2 17x9,5 +35 ARC8's I have with 275 nittos to see how they will fit in the front. These have worn NT01's on them that I will be running in the front for now and will get 2 more later on to replace these mid year as I won't be driving much anyway. Fitment is with a 10mm spacer, as you can see it's about 5-7mm away from the strut, which I believe won't be an issue. Also, got to use my 1/2" craftsman impart my folks got me for Xmas! Love this thing already!

Also, installed 6.25" 650# front springs along with 750# 5.5" rear springs.

Hopefully with the next update I'll have the following complete...
    -Rear rims/tires mounted
    -M3 moved into garage
    -Headers heat wrapped
    -Transmission dropped
    -Slave replacement
    -Clutch line install
    -Possibly speed bleed purchase and install, don't know how much room I have to reach the bleeder underneath
    -Driveshaft length measured and driveshaft ordered
    -Intake installed
    -Header lines figured out
    -Accessories installed
    -Vorshlag P/S kit ordered (unless alternative approached)

So, quite a bit coming! Also ontop of whatever doesn't get done from that list, I need to make or order brake ducts and hose as I fee I'll be needing them with my 140-150mph straight speeds. Wire harness needs to be done also, but I'm pushing that back until end of April possible. Exhaust fab, should be quick and easy. Oy... quite a bit to do.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    that's a lot of tire up front! awesome

My Cars
    02 M3
    It'll be 275 square, so lotsa tire everywhere

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    i have a pair of 275/40s sitting in my garage i got from a P-car friend of mine. i was gonna slap those puppies on the rear of my car...and then i collected them. holy poop. i'm gonna have to raise it a lot or move some serious metal to make that much space.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Threw the front wheels on the back to see how much I need to roll/pull, looks like quite a bit. I should've used a jack to push the wheel up into the car, but this will give a decent idea of how much I need to pull these fenders.

17x9,5 +35 ARC8's with 275 nittos

My Cars
    02 M3
    Got the M3 into the driveway. I tried rolling the rear fenders but friends roller just couldn't do it! Sheetmetal back there is super thick and I couldn't get enough adjustment out of teh roller to do the job, once the car gets running I'll be using a baseball bat/jack handle to flare out the rear.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I don't know man, that looks like a lot of distance to move those fenders! I hate to bring up the flares option, but it might be time to call Hard Motorsport and just give in.

I guess you could still try to roll them on your own and if that doesn't work, go with flares, but that really looks like a ton of metal to be moving to make it happen and you won't be going back.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Yeah :/ I hear ya. Rear flares might be on order, we'll see once I get the rear helper springs out and add a bit a camber to the rear. I believe it's only -1.5 or so right now.

There is a very thick lip under there, I may cut the lip off and then try flaring it, maybe adding a steel rod to reinforce the flare.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    275/35-17 on 17x10.5 ARC8 in modified 31mm offset (normal offset for this wheel is 27mm). 2.8 degrees negative camber, Hard Motorsports gen 1 flare, cut and welded underneath:

My Cars
    02 M3
    Your setup, 10,5 +31 pokes out 17mm more than the 9,5 +35 I have. I think I can get away with it, especially adding camber and with my 750# rear springs.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    All I know for sure is that I ran 18x9.5 ARC8s (can't remember what offset they were) for a little while with 255/35-18 Hoosier A6s, and though I did get them to fit with massive amounts of rolling (and BFH application), the fenders looked like shit and I could not get the car very low:

My Cars
    02 M3
    Hmm, well I guess I'll find out the hard way lol, flares aren't cheap!

My Cars
    '98 Cosmos M3
    PM'ed you about it

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewSkii View Post
    PM'ed you about it
    Thank you for the offer, too bad things fell through!

Quick update.

Got the car all packaged up into the garage while so rearranging so 2 cars can fit in my garage comfortable, Volvo XC90 is huge!

Got the car lifted up and took some measurements for the driveshaft which should be ordered some time this week. Also looked to see how much room I have for the bleeder valve on the slave - ZERO, so looks like a TiCK speed bleeder will be on order something this or next week. Also ordered ARP header bolts, should be here soon so exhaust install can commence!

Got the intake manifold buttoned up, thats not going anyway.

Made it to the junk yard, got myself a OBD II wireharness, don't think it differs too much from the OBD1 harness. Also while there I picked up a new front end for my brothers car so we can finally sell that too. All in all, it was a productive weekend, here are some photos!

Bought some new tires too! Well, used, but in like new condition.

Much tire. Very grip.

Her new home for the next 2-3 months.

Decent condition E36 at the yard.

Hooked up the LS clutch line to the BMW master with the AN reducer fitting and machined LS fitting.

Picked up some 255/40-17 Falken RT615's for street use, will probably trailer the apex's this year.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Ordered up the ARP header bolts, should be here this week then I can install the headers.

Koyo Rad - Check!
    3.91 Rear End - Check! Good story on this, really hope it turns out to be what it is
    3.73 Ring and pinion for sale!

Saw the volvo fan setup posted, so I'll be going that route also.

Also ordered a TICK speed bleeder setup.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Rear diff will be here next tuesday/wednesday but yesterday my driveshaft came in!

Ordered it from ColemanRacing.com on Monday 44" ujoint to ujoint. Came with 1310 ujoints, clips and balanced without weights $180 to my door!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Not too much of an update.

Installed new driveshaft. It fits PERFECT, looks OEM! There is equal clearance all around the tunnel and it's perfectly aligned from trans to the diff. 44" total length gave me .5" of wiggle room using the JTR adapter.

Dropped the trans to install the new slave cylinder and TICK speed bleeder (comes in tomorrow hopefully) then trans goes back in. Clearanced out the shifter hole a bit so the shifter boot can come out easier from the bottom, made it too tight when I made the cover plate. Little jack helped a ton!

Installed the fuelling items, WIX 33737 filter with dorman quick disconnects. Tomorrow or sunday I'll run the fuel lines up to the fuel rail. Underside needs a good cleaning...

Also cleaned and installed the coil pack brackets.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Just curious if you have a digital scale and if you could tell me exactly what the driveshaft weighs with both the U-joints, the yoke and the JTR adapter.

Thanks.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    lots of good progress.

keep it up, dude!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Just curious if you have a digital scale and if you could tell me exactly what the driveshaft weighs with both the U-joints, the yoke and the JTR adapter.

Thanks.
    Sure thing, I'll get it this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    lots of good progress.

keep it up, dude!
    Thanks man! If parts shipped faster I'd have more progress... or maybe I should order sooner :P

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    Sure thing, I'll get it this afternoon.
    Thanks!!

My Cars
    skateboard
    My training has paid off
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Thanks!!
    16.8lbs

Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    My training has paid off
    ??

I test fitted the drivers side header, seems to fit OK at best, might need a bit of massaging to get it fit correctly and not hit anything... more on that next weekend.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    16.8lbs
    Thanks again muchly!!

My Cars
    02 M3
    No problem!

Made a quick run to the junk yard today, their inventory stated they had a 96 Volvo 850. I was pleased to see that due to the volvo fan setup that was posted by another member. Got there and grabbed the entire assembly for $15!

Now, I had high hopes this would fit without a hitch but boy was I wrong! The assembly pushed the fan too far forward which would hit the water pump. Now I don't know if my style water pump just sticks out too far or what, but it had to nearly trim the entire shroud to get the fan to fit. Still, for $15, I can't complain - 3000CFM fan!

After much trimming, it's snug in there. I'll be riveting on some support arms to the assembly stays put.

Found a piece of lexan, fit perfectly against the bottom of my radiator. Minor trimming at the corners to sink it in a bit more. I'll be making side pieces so it is totally enclosed. Not playing around with this cooling stuff! lol I have a bottom piece that covers the entire lower portion up the the sway bar.

Also test fit the drivers side header! From the looks of it, it'll require quite a bit of massaging of the pipes/trans bell housing to get it to fit properly.

Last edited by Inflame; 04-05-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast