Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Track Car - S50 to LS1

My Cars
    '96 BMW 328is '08 F250
    What are you using to depin the wiring harness? I tried doing the same, but I couldn't find the right size tool. I was forces to cut the wires and tape them off until I could find a solution.

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    Wow, great build thread. Can't wait to see you get the LSX motor in there and running!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by diode View Post
    What are you using to depin the wiring harness? I tried doing the same, but I couldn't find the right size tool. I was forces to cut the wires and tape them off until I could find a solution.
    Almost any very skinny screw driver, such as a precision tool set. Also, a pick set will sometimes do the job. The locks are tab's if I remember correctly, so you just have to pull back the tab the tug the wire out of the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
    Wow, great build thread. Can't wait to see you get the LSX motor in there and running!
    Thanks! Lost momentum for a few weeks there, engineering school is really kicking my ass. I hope to have the T56, oil pan and assembly, rods+pistons and possibly intake manifold all installed within 2-3 weeks! After that, I'll snag an LS7 clutch kit and the assembly should all be ready to drop in, save for headers

-Bart

My Cars
    02 M3
    Picked up the T56 and Spec Stage 1 Clutch this weekend. Also ordered all gaskets/seals, F-Body Oil pan, melling high pressure oil pump, improved racing baffle and crank scraper, AC-Delco water pump, ARP cam gear bolts and 160* thermostat.... OUCH!! MY WALLET HURTS LOL

My Cars
    1997 E36 Sedan/Coupe
    PIIIIIIIIIIX!
    hahaha

My Cars
    02 M3
    PICS!!! Nearly everything I wanted to do up to this point has been done!!! I'll start this update from about 3 weeks ago.

Up near Traverse City, MI there is a little town on the water called Empire. Apparently 30-40 years ago they used to host a hill climb there and they decided to bring it back! So a friend and I made a weekend trip up there since we wanted to see what was all about. We have intentions to participate in it next year. Here are some pics from that weekend. Not only was a great experience, but I got to ask a few local builders some questions about their cars that I could potentially apply to my car.

Here is LoveFab's timeattack, j-swap turbo civic and the reincarnation of his pikes peak NSX! If you haven't heard, it burned down last year due to I believe a fuel line. These two machines were works of art!

Close up pics of the "NSX" Skeleton! He's running an LQ9 block at I believe 5-8 psi, hoping to make 550-600rwhp.

During the hill climb, this little Datsun crashed! My friend, me and another spectator ran down hoping we can get his car to budge, but unfortunately he dug himself way too deep.

Super cool Audi Quatto, dude drove it like he stole it!

Some sweet spectator's cars.

Since then, about a week or two ago, I sold my Cafe Racer She went to a good home though! An artist from Detroit came by in his sexy X5M and said he's going to hang her on his wall!

Okay, enough of my personal life haha.

Here's the latest and greatest on the LS Swap. Our shop got the parking lot repaved!! Woohoo, no more 1' deep potholes!

T56 looking all pretty and expensive -_-

Anyway... LS2 timing chain installed! I ordered ARP cam bolts... but apparently I threw them away

Bought some LS2 lifter trays, I've read that they're stronger than the LS1 trays. Also, drilled them out for oil drainage. MOAR oil in the pan!

Had my engine builder, Pashko Besnik from Besnik Built Engines come by to finish the rebuild (basic - piston rings, touch hone with new bearings).

He wasn't very happy with our "working environment" but he got the job done!! Prop's to him, great guy, great prices and quality work no matter the location HAHA

Dingle berries to hone the block.

mmmmm that cross hatch

Pistons and rods without rings installed yet.

Took an LS1 selfie, I was waaayyyyy too excited lmao

Okay, back to business lol

With the rotating assembly done, I proceeded to finished up the oiling system. Here is the Improved Racing crank scraper installed along with the windage tray.

Clearance needed for ARP rod bolts, VERY minor but for peace of mind it was done.

Nice and close, they spec'ed it at 0.020" - 0.040".

Oil pan baffle installed! Needed minor clearance near the front of the pan so baffle sat flush.

Here she is!! Opps upside down.

Ah, there we go, much better.

Next on the list is - LS1 intake (can't afford ls6 lol), accessories installed, head bolts torque checked (recommended by builder), rockers and push rod installed, valve cover powdercoated wrinkle black, headers, wiring, etc. So nothing tooo crazy. ALso need to get flywheel surfaced, clutch installed, trans bolted up and then ENGINE GOES IN!!! WOOOWWW FINALLY lol

Thanks for reading!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I don't know how much clearance you have by those rod bolts, but I would personally recommend you use a LOT (if you didn't), just to be safe. It probably won't kill your engine to have the rod bolts hit that scraper, but it would definitely not be good for it. I'd just be sure I had plenty, because seemingly solid things like rods, cranks, etc can often flex, twist and move around a lot more than you might think. Hearing a "bzzzt" sound the first time you rev it up, wouldn't be very fun.

Oh, and your car is going to be ridiculously fast now!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFabM3 View Post
    I don't know how much clearance you have by those rod bolts, but I would personally recommend you use a LOT (if you didn't), just to be safe. It probably won't kill your engine to have the rod bolts hit that scraper, but it would definitely not be good for it. I'd just be sure I had plenty, because seemingly solid things like rods, cranks, etc can often flex, twist and move around a lot more than you might think. Hearing a "bzzzt" sound the first time you rev it up, wouldn't be very fun.

Oh, and your car is going to be ridiculously fast now!
    Haha yeah I added enough clearance so if the scraper was installed more towards the drives side, the bolts wouldn't hit. I installed it more towards the passenger side, so there was an abundance of room. I was worried about that too, and if worst comes to worse, I'm sure they'll add some clearance themselves.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Dropped pressure plate and flywheel off to get spin balanced and resurfaced. Engine + Trans may be going in this weekend!

My Cars
    02 M3
    I lied, going in probably in 2 weeks... Need to check clearance between slave and PP if I need to shim or not and get bolts for mounts, etc. So, 2 weeks!! November 8th is the goal!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Got the driveshaft saturday, dropped it off at a friends for repairs. In the mean time, all I accomplished this weekend was paint my valve covers and measure my clearances if I needed shims or not for the slave. Also carved some pumkins with my GF lol

Driveshaft, bought it off the forums. One end broke and spun within the shaft. Friend is going to turn it back so it's 90* to the other end and glob a bunch of weld on both sides of the shaft to prevent any failures in the future.

Painted my valve covers with some VHT wrinkle black and baked them in my oven for 1 hour @ 200*.

ANd that's all! Ordering new TOB today, so hopefully by Saturday LS JUAN is going in!!

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Just read your thread front to back. I love these "low budget" projects. You got the fever bad. Nice work. Gingerman was my very first track. 800 mile drive so I don't get there as often as I like but it is a fun track.

Keep the updates and the pics coming!

My Cars
    02 M3
    "Low budget" is a relative term eh? haha! I've had the fever since I turned 16, 8 years ago! My past cars have mostly been stock other than slight suspension upgrades and bushings since they were still my daily drivers. Granted, I'm quite a bit cheaper into this build than most people are into their cars since some parts I made, majority are second hand and I get cost on brand new parts.

Gingerman is amazing, love the high speed sweepers. If you get get a chance to track up in Michigan again, I HIGHLY - HIGHLY - HIGHLY recommend Grattan. It's the most insane track. Every single turn is either blind or off camber with an elevation change! Really is a rollercoaster.

Unforunately no progress has been made at all... I still need the exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, wire harness, yokes, u-joints and other odds and ends. I'm really hoping that I can get the engine in by christmas.

Here are my other cars that I had.

2001 Subaru 2.5rs - mostly bushings and maintenance.

2003 Evo - intake, exhaust, tune

E46 M3 - lowered, gutted muffler with ar20 resontors, rear seat delete

E39 M5 - dual 3" exhaust, dual AFE intakes, dyno tuned, BC coil overs

Good times... The E36 is the first car I've heavily modified though!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Yesterday the LS JUAN went in for a test fit, what a pain in the ass for a minute there... Apparently I installed the mounts through the wrong hole, once installed on the right hole everything lined up dandy.

Excuse the dirty shop, getting cleaned up this weekend!

Good photo showing just how far back the LS1 shits in the engine back, the entire engine sits nearly completely behind the front axle.

Nice low COG

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Dang, looking sweet!
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    02 M3
    I know someone asked about if the X-Brace can be retained with the LS1, the answer is NO. The F-body oil pan hits the x-brace is multiple spots. Once engine and transmission are finalized into the chassis I'll make the necessary modifications to the x-brace for proper fitment.

Also, installed the transmission last night! Engine + Trans will be coming out maybe by the end of the month or early next month for 100% completion and installation, then it's accessories and wire harness!
    Last edited by Inflame; 12-01-2014 at 07:55 AM.

My Cars
    touring
    how did you get that wrinkle finish?

My Cars
    02 M3
    VHT wrinkle black spray paint.

3 layers 10 minutes apart in a cross hatch spray pattern, then put the valve covers in an oven at 250 degrees for an hour.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Received the LS6 intake, injectors and fuel rail + a ported TB last week, decided to toss it on to see how it looks.

Also got the vette FPR + quick disconnects... fueling should be done once I get that installed.

Engine will be coming out in 2-3 weeks, if and when I finally order the headers, then the engine bay will get cleaned up a bit and everything will be going back in for it's final resting place.

My Cars
    tricycle and bigwheel
    Nice job so far, gonna be awesome when your done.

Quick question..... I am panning out motor mount options for mine. What motor mounts did you end up doing/using? I cant see in the picture, its too dark.

My Cars
    02 M3
    CX Racing, fitment is actually pretty good. Got the kit second hand so I saved quite a bit of cash.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Small update. We're packing up at the shop we're at. I decided to leave and others decided to follow suit. So in the mean time, I'm trying to button up as much as I possibly can until it's time to get everything out by the end of the year. I pulled the LS1/T56 and installed the spec clutch, it's back in now for good. I also made the trans tunnel plate, it'll need some work in the future but it'll do for now. Also put the bumpers and stuff back on, seat + floor pan are going back in, windows, and steering shaft.

Total sleeper lol 2600# with a (hopefully) 400hp V8 under the hood

Cutout the tunnel for the shifter

Trans installed

Cover plate tacked down

Cap welds, been a while, also lots of gaps between plate and tunnel... Anyway, it works!

Painted, wish I went matte black though... May spray it with a matte clear.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    Small update. We're packing up at the shop we're at. I decided to leave and others decided to follow suit. So in the mean time, I'm trying to button up as much as I possibly can until it's time to get everything out by the end of the year. I pulled the LS1/T56 and installed the spec clutch, it's back in now for good. I also made the trans tunnel plate, it'll need some work in the future but it'll do for now. Also put the bumpers and stuff back on, seat + floor pan are going back in, windows, and steering shaft....pics snipped
    Looks good! Can't wait to hear the final setup
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    02 M3
    Haha you and me both man, but unfortunately there will be no progress from JAN to probably end of April I'll be stocking up on parts though so once the snow clears up it should be about 2-3 weeks by the time it's done.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Left the shop, so unfortunately M3 is going on hold until spring time. This is a good and bad thing, it will allow me to save up lots of money since I won't be paying for the shop anymore and no car parts until spring, I'll also be able to focus on my schooling too. Bad thing, no car parts and M3 is on hold LOL!

Here is she being moved out... I put my 275 NT01's for sale too since I don't have much room at home left for storage.

Seeing day light for the first time since July!

And on the tow bed home!

Annddd currently she's getting a car was here in Michigan -_- haha

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast