Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Track Car - S50 to LS1

My Cars
    02 M3
    Haha yeah, some interesting damage.

I'm 5'8 145# 30" waist and I fit perfect, almost like they were made for my body type. I have a friend who is 5'10-11, 170-175 and they fit him great too.

Very comfortable. Drove 3 hours to the track, did 9-10 sessions throughout the weekend then 3 hours back, never felt uncomfortable. I'm picky too when it comes to seats. These are one of the best replicas I've sat in.
    Last edited by Inflame; 06-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Boston Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    I have sliders and side mounts that are provided by F1Spec, I have those mounted to evosport floor mounts.

So far, I've been loving the F1 Spec seats and everyone who has seen them asks for the company name.

- - - Updated - - -

Trans bellhousing and pressure plate destruction pics coming soon! Also, made my windows removable.
    I've been trying to think up ways to make my windows removeable, could you offer any tips? Are you using the stock glass, or a plastic alternative?
    BMW 1995 E36 M3 Luxury Pkg. (Bostongruen Metallic 275)

BMW 1999 E36 323is Sport Pkg. (Orientblau Metallic 317)

iSociety

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by King Hax View Post
    I've been trying to think up ways to make my windows removeable, could you offer any tips? Are you using the stock glass, or a plastic alternative?
    Here is how I did mine. I used stock glass and welded T-brackets with 10mm U's cut into them so the stock glass regulator brackets slide right into them. Fitment is perfect. From the door bar to the bottom of the glass bracket is 145mm.

These are the stock glass brackets

These are the brackets I made to have the stock glass brackets slide into.

Here is the fitment

- - - Updated - - -

Here are my trans/pressure plate destruction pictures!

Back story:
    When I did my 5 speed swap back in march, I lost a nut to my slave cylinder. I assumed this nut fell into the bellhousing and would make its way out through either of the two bottom holes. Well, sometime after driving the car, I heard a loud "ting ting ting" that really sounded like a nut bouncing around, so I disregarded it... Well, I lost my clutch (idk where it went) a week ago at waterford hills raceway. I was finally able to remove the transmission, what it revealed was something none of us imagined!

The support ribs have all been broken! There is a hole at the top just above the input shaft (which would explain my oil leaks!) and the piece that caused all of the damage is not a nut! None of us know what it is, though there is a rubber gormet in the bellhousing. If anyone knows what it is, please let me know!

Pressure plate damage!

Beeattt uppp!!!

Broken ribs and hole

The suspect

Entire shot:

Also, had to drop my rear end last night because I noticed my rear upper control arms were installed on opposite sides!!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    The ball shaped piece is the pivot for the clutch fork. That's also the spring that holds the fork on the ball. I'm surprised your clutch worked at all.

My Cars
    02 M3
    But, the plastic piece, that the spring clips too, is still attached to the transmission... Am I missing something here?

My Cars
    02 M3
    Figured I'd toss an update in here.

Drivetrain:

I installed a new pressure plate 2 weeks ago, took the car for a test drive and the clutch was STILL slipping... So that set me back pretty good and infuriated me. I ended up buying a TRM segmented clutch + high load pressure plate off a forum member and it'll be here Wednesday, hopefully I'll be able to install it and get some miles on the car before my 3 days tracking event at Gingerman Raceway for the 2014 West Michigan Honda Meet!!

Hypothesis to the clutch slipping: Original transmission had a hole blown into it from the clutch side, I believe fluid was splashing out onto the clutch, causing the slip.

I ended up picking up 2 spare ZF transmissions, one with a blown up case but good internals and 1 just overall good one. I ended up installing the good one but it had the 5th gear lean and some other shifting quirks that really bothered me. So, I looked into swapping bell housings since my OG trans had a hole into it... Seemed like a lot of unnecessary work so (pressing bearings and stuff) so I patched up the hole in the OG trans and installed new seals. The new ZF trans I'll be doing the 5th gear lean fin, new seals etc and selling it while I look for a new case for the 3rd trans.

Suspension/brakes:

After getting my last alignment with the new strut tower reinforcement plates and such, I have nearly 1* more camber on the drivers side compared to the passenger side, my hypothesis is that the car has been in a fender bender and it shifted the strut tower in nearly 20mm (doing simple measurements). So to offset the 1* of camber I installed 2.63mm shims to the passenger side.

Also, looks like i'll be needing new rear pads soon, so hawk DTC-60's will be on order. Ordered full front and rear caliper rebuild kits too!

That's about all for now!
    Last edited by Inflame; 07-13-2014 at 10:55 AM.

My Cars
    2 bmw's
    I had the same thing happen, did you pull the pilot bearing? for some reason I think that part fits behind the pilot bearing on the crank.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by downandout View Post
    I had the same thing happen, did you pull the pilot bearing? for some reason I think that part fits behind the pilot bearing on the crank.
    No I did not pull the pilot bearing. I don't see how that piece could come through that area, it's all blocked off! lol

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quick update!

This past weekend my friends and I headed over to Gingerman for the 2014 West Michigan Honda Meet! What a blast! This is our second time coming and definitely won't be our last! This is a great even hosted by awesome people near the lady filled city of South Haven.

I kicked the M3's camber in to what I believe is -3.5 and left the rear at -2.0. The car has NEVER driven this well before, it was an amazing setup for gingerman that I hope will work for other tracks too.

My FTD was 1:49.2x, which I'm fairly happy with. I hope to gain a second or 2 on street tires before making the move to slicks. The cars in my NASA class are fairly quick, so in order for me to even stand a chance, I need to sharpen my skills and learn this car more!

During the weekend I had to install new rear pads, had a friend bring me up a set of Hawk Blues friday night. Definitely helped the car brake deeper over stock rear pads.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Decided it's time to sell off the S50 and install an LS1 so stay posted!!!

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Decided it's time to sell off the S50 and install an LS1 so stay posted!!!
    Oh snap :o
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    02 M3
    LS1 Bought! Found a local LSx for a good price. 70k miles, custom grind z06 cam, z06 heads + other odds and ends... Picking it up Fri/Sat and sending the heads off for a good cleaning. Now I have to find a T56!! Also, sell my S50 + spare parts!!

Pics will be up by the weekend.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    LS1 Bought! Found a local LSx for a good price. 70k miles, custom grind z06 cam, z06 heads + other odds and ends... Picking it up Fri/Sat and sending the heads off for a good cleaning. Now I have to find a T56!! Also, sell my S50 + spare parts!!

Pics will be up by the weekend.
    Damn, not wasting any time!
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by justinco View Post
    Damn, not wasting any time!
    Gotta jump on good deals! Track season is over for me unfortunately, car is going back on jack stands until next spring -_- though when it comes back it'll be a whole new beast!!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Picked up the LS1 this weekend and sent off the heads to Besnik Built Engines just down the street from me. LS has LS6 heads, aftermarket yellow valve springs, hardened push rods and supposedly a "custom grind cam".

Engine overall looks to be in good condition, ordering up seals and other misc. parts to refresh it. Also buying an f-body oil pan + improved racing baffle, ported oil pump, revised LS6 PCV system and many other parts to make it as reliable as can be.

Some pictures.

Picking up the engine

Dun dun dun, she's awaiting the transplant.

More updates to come.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Not much progress as of late. Ordered up some ARP rod bolts and LS6 style valley cover to update the PCV system.

Also, discounttiredirect ebay account is having a $100 off $400 and above sale, so I scored myself some 275/40/17 Nitto NT01's for $310 a pair!!

CMOTORS0806

That's the promo code!

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Nice. I saw that tire deal too but couldn't find any good tires in 245/40R17

My Cars
    02 M3
    Bump up your size to 255 and snag some good tires for a great deal! I'll be buying 2 more this weekend when I get paid.

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Bump up your size to 255 and snag some good tires for a great deal! I'll be buying 2 more this weekend when I get paid.
    I have 255's on my 9" wheels...need some 245's for my 8.5" wheels lol.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Updates!

-Detroit flooded!
    -S50 is out!
    -Nitto NT01 275's are in!

Pictures!

Apparently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz5TGN7eUcM) Detroit had a metric ton of water come down on us because the people were complaining that their water was shut off because they weren't paying it... who woulda thought!

Anyway, that same day my EPIC wide tires came in, super excited to experience MOAR GRIP

And the engine is out because I sold it lol

Lottsa blood from the surgery!

Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 11-03-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    02 M3
    Dropping pistons and rods off to machinist, getting rods resized for ARP rod bolts. Should have LS motor back together in 2-3 weeks! School is starting back up next week so there will be even less updates

My Cars
    1989 BMW E30 316i
    Great build im looking forward to it. Im a Little sad because of the engine swap but i guess these lsx engines are pretty cheap and reliable and easy to find there keep it up.
    Btw: Did u widen your rears to fit the 275 tyres?

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by xt198 View Post
    Great build im looking forward to it. Im a Little sad because of the engine swap but i guess these lsx engines are pretty cheap and reliable and easy to find there keep it up.
    Btw: Did u widen your rears to fit the 275 tyres?
    LSx is just the best overall package in my opinion when it comes to adding power to the M3 chassis. Yes, I could've supercharged or turbo, possibly high compression or S54 swap to stay "BMW"... But at the end of the day, all of those options are going to add weight where I don't want it, the front of the car. The LS engine is 13" shorter in height and length, weighs less and makes amazing power with great reliability out of the box. The engine will almost entirely be behind the front axle line too! So, all-in-all, it's a win-win-win option.

I'll definitely be rolling and flaring my fenders. My fronts are already rolled/flared so I'm sure I'll have to do the rear too. The tires will be going on 17x9,5 apex arc-8's.
    Last edited by Inflame; 08-25-2014 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW E30 316i
    LSx is just the best overall package in my opinion when it comes to adding power to the M3 chassis. Yes, I could've supercharged or turbo, possibly high compression or S54 swap to stay "BMW"... But at the end of the day, all of those options are going to add weight where I don't want it, the front of the car. The LS engine is 13" shorter in height and length, weighs less and makes amazing power with great reliability out of the box. The engine will almost entirely be behind the front axle line too! So, all-in-all, it's a win-win-win option.

I'll definitely be rolling and flaring my fenders. My fronts are already rolled/flared so I'm sure I'll have to do the rear too. The tires will be going on 17x9,5 apex arc-8's.
    Wow i didnt know that. So thats why everyone is doing the LSX swap nice

My Cars
    02 M3
    Started to depin the wire harness at the fuse box of all the electrical items I eliminated in the past year... So window motors, A/C, sunroof, radio, etc. All of those wires are going to be 100% deleted to simplify the car even more... I can't stand the way it is right now knowing that I half-assed part of it.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast