Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Track Car - S50 to LS1

My Cars
    02 M3

E36 M3 Track Car - S50 to LS1

Sorry for the crappy grammar Copy-pasta from another forums, so some things may be off.

With a budget of $3,000 to $4,000, finding a cheaper, budgeted, neglected E36 M3 was harder than I imagined. Most 5 speed E36's were pushing the $6,000-$7,000 range and the ones cheaper than that sold too quickly for me to snag them. So I started looking into how much an Auto-to-Manual swap would cost. With prices of transmissions ranging from $350-$500, and the rest of the components (clutch, pedals, etc) being another $400-$500, I opted going the swap route as it would be $1500-$2000 cheaper if I don't pay myself haha.

For 2-3 months, I searched for cars. I found a 1998 M3 Sedan Auto ~20-30 minutes north of me. I called the dealership just before they closed on a Friday and told them I am coming up the next day to possibly purchase the car. I kidnapped my friend and we drove up to the dealership to pick up the car. When we arrived to the dealership, we drove around the parking lot looking for the car. We couldn't find it, though we did see an empty parking space. I said to myself "I bet that's where the car was"... I go inside the stealership and ask about the M3, their response "Someone came just 30 minutes ago with a truck and trailer to pick it up". Yup, missed the M3 by 30 minutes so the search continued.

Found a very nice 97 or so M3 out in Pennsylvania somewhere, talked to the owner for a good 3-4 weeks to plan a weekend where I could come and trailer the car home. We set a date and I asked for his PayPal so I could send a deposit. Owner stopped answering for a few days then finally sent me a text saying the car is sold. Great, search continues.

Fast forward about two weeks, I found this purple M3. Automatic, cheap, salvage title (theft) but it was a clean California car.

The Car aka "Violet":
    1995 BMW M3 Daytona Violet
    185k miles

NEW LIST
    Engine:
    LS1 5.7 Block
    -New Rod Bearings
    -New Piston Rings
    -ARP Rod Bolts
    -ARP Head Bolts
    -Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffle and Crank Scrapper
    -Hardened Push Rods
    -LS2 lifter trays - drill mod
    -Mellings High Pressure Oil Pump
    -All new gaskets and seals (HG, covers, etc)
    Milled/Rebuilt LS6 Heads
    LS6 Cam
    LS6 Intake/Injectors
    CX Racing Swap Headers to 3" exhaust

Drivetrain:
    CX Racing Engine Mounts
    Poly T56 Trans Mount
    RevShift 75D Rear Diff Bushings
    RevShift 75D Rear Subframe Bushings
    Spec Stage 1 Clutch with OEM Flywheel
    MGW Shifter
    GM ATF Trans Fluid
    Redline Diff Oil
    Vorshlag 3" aluminum driveshaft (possibly replace with 2.5" steel unit)

Suspension:
    Eibach 28mm Adjustable Front Sway Bar
    Bimmerworld Adjustable Endlinks
    AST 4100 Coilovers w/ 450/550 rates
    Ground Control Camber Plates
    RevShift 75D Control Arm Bushings
    Revshift 95A Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
    SPC Rear Camber Arms

Interior:
    Gutted obviously
    F1 Spec Type 5 Seats
    EVOSPORT E36 floor plates, machining my own replicas for passenger side
    OMG Targa 330mm Suede
    Sparco Hub Adapter
    Autopower 4pt roll cage
    Corbeau 4pt Harness - Driver/Passenger

Wheels/Tires:
    17x9,5 Apex Arc 8's with 275/40/17 Nitto NT01's

Brakes:
    Stoptech SS Lines
    Hawk DTC-70 - Front
    Hawk Blues - Rear
    ATE Dot 4 fluid
    ATE Caliper rebuild

OLD LIST
    Engine:
    Brand New NGK Spark Plugs
    Samco Intake Elbow
    Supersprint replica headers
    K&N Intake
    New Rear Main Seal
    Oil pump nut wired
    New oil pan gasket
    A/C removed
    Most likely a TMS chip tune

Drivetrain:
    RevShift 75D Motor Mounts
    UUC Reds Trans Mounts (will switch to RevShift)
    RevShift 75D Rear Diff Bushings
    RevShift 75D Rear Subframe Bushings
    New SACHS OEM Clutch
    F1 14# LW Flywheel
    UUC DSSR Shift Selector
    Pennzoil SyncroMesh Trans Fluid
    Redline Diff Oil

Suspension:
    Whiteline 27mm Adjustable Front Sway Bar
    Bimmerworld Adjustable Endlinks
    AST 4100 Coilovers
    Vorshlag Camber Plates
    RevShift 75D Control Arm Bushings
    Revshift 95A Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
    SPC Rear Camber Arms

Interior:
    Gutted obviously
    F1 Spec Type 5 Seats
    EVOSPORT E36 floor plates, machining my own replicas for passenger side
    OMG Targa 330mm Suede
    Sparco Hub Adapter
    Autopower 4pt roll cage
    Corbeau 4pt harnesses

Wheels/Tires:
    5 spoke 17x8 with 235/45/17 RE-11
    17x9,5 Apex Arc 8's with 225/40/17 Hoosier R3S04

Brakes:
    Techna-Fit SS Lines
    Hawk HT-10 Brake pads
    Brass slide pins
    ATE Dot 4 fluid

Day I bought it.

OEM interior, ended up selling nearly everything pictured!

Set it up at a shop I rent out with friends:

This was the beginning of the shop where people were still getting setup, so junk was all over the place. M3's interior was getting ripped out and auto trans was getting ready to be dropped.

Upon stripping and gutting the dash, I noticed that the cluster wires were once snipped and then "re soldered" together... So I had to redo all of that. Don't have a picture of it redone.

Here is a pic of the car about 3-4 months ago, this upcoming week i'll snap what it all looks like to date

About 2 months after the picture above

Manual trans left, auto trans right

Roll Cage mock up, plus a bunch of junk in the trunk... gutted for more room for kirks wife and me. Cross bar is just a handle bar for her.

75D bushing goodness

About 2 weeks ago I scored some AST 4100 suspension with 450/550 spring rates for stupid cheap because of elongated spindle mounting holes.

The damage

Last week I gave the suspension and a spindle to my cousin who is going to reinforce the mounting tabs. Should have that back shortly.

Friend sold his M3 to pick up a K20 civic, so I got his headers!

235 RE11 left, 225 Hoosier R3S04 right

How she currently sits

Will keep updating as I take more pics

- - - Updated - - -

Interior as it currently looks right now (dash is still being worked on) and just tossed a seat into the car... I'm not a photographer

- - - Updated - - -

Headers installed! What a PAIN IN THE ASS! These were eBay headers my friend picked up for his E36 M3, but he ended up selling it so I snagged these off him. Had to split the flange between the ports and also had to hammer the piping a bit so it wouldn't hit the motor mount. Though, once it started lining up, some prying here and there they slipped on

As you can see, some of the holes didn't line up -_-

Also installed the E36 M3 LTW (Light Weight) x-brace. Factory piece on the LTW and convertibles. Protects the oil pan nicely.

Earlier in the day, Subaru work horse hauled 8 whee/tire combo to belle tire, then 12 tires and 4 wheels back! Doesn't work as hard as kirks wife though.

Here are the RE-11's mounted on my track wheels

And here is a pic of my dog driving the subaru lol

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't done much to the M3 lately, kinda ran out of things to do since I'm waiting on my rear-end from RevShift, and waiting for parts to ship in.

So in the mean time I did what's free... First, I cut out my headlight for an intake. Once I get the filter I'll make a shield around the actually filter so the engine bay is still a low pressure zone.

Also made a template for my undertray (though I know it needs to be shorted for sway bar), front splitter is next. This was actually the same piece of wood I made my rear seat delete off of, surprisingly it fit pretty well with minor trimming haha. Didn't take a pic of final revision, but you get the idea. It goes from the front lip to the powersteering rack.

Only difference between final and this picture, the excess material is cut off.

Fixed all of my issues with the M3. Had a cluster issue that wasn't' receiving any signals from my sensors, fixed that by replacing some fuses... then I had a no start issue, again, fixed that by replacing some fuses. So M3 is good to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Not much more left to do on the M3, but none of it is in my control. Revshift should have my rear end done this Friday, waiting on camber plates and also waiting for my cousin to have some time to reinforce my front suspension. So, in the mean time I started focusing on aero and other small little projects to tackle.

OEM the E36 comes with a front intake/shroud, mine was broken so I made this little piece out of dibond instead.

Then, I decided against running a partial console. I removed all of the climate control wiring and only left wiring for the blower; it is permanently set to heat and to blow at the windshield. This cleared up the space behind the panel quite a bit. This is where I'll be mounting my oil pressure gauge, window switches, maybe the push button start if I go with a chip, and the 12v aux port to charge my phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Some nice updates this time around!

-Picked up oil pressure sensor adapter and rear trailing arm reinforcement from RallyRoad.net
    -Picked up rear end from RevShift
    -Made battery box
    -Transferred Auto brake pedal to Manual brake arm

Received my rear end with all bushings installed from RevShift! Took a little while, but they've been slammed with orders for the past 3 months so it was just bad timing. John (the owner) used my rear end to develop the 4 rear subframe bushings, the last bushings they needed to finalize all the rear bushings. John is very quality conscious and you can see it in his work. Ever since he has started RevShift hes been doing bushings, so he knows his bushings. Attention to detail is what I like and that's what I received. The rear subframe is stamped steel that has a few stitch welds, well one of the welds overlaps the area where one of the bushings sits. Unlike other bushing manufactures that only mold their bushings then send them off to be machined, John makes his molds, machines them and makes the sleeves needed all in house for perfect fitment and to maximize surface area. Still need to install my rear camber arms and 4 rear ball joints.

www.revshift.com - Tell'em Bart sent ya!

Rear end being assembled. (the kid assembling it all was really into Volvo's, really didn't like it when I told him it was the worst car I've ever owned in my life)

Assembled, you can see the overlap and the clearance made in the bushings in the front most bushings in this picture.

Next, I read that Turner Motorsports in their E36 M3 car ran the automatic brake pedal because it was wider than the manual pedal, due to rules they could only use an OEM part (or something like that. Well, I had an automatic brake pedal!! Here are comparison pictures, note how the manual pedal has a bend it to to shifter it away from the clutch and closer to the accelerator. I ended up welding the auto pedal to the manual arm, but I didn't snap a picture of it.

Manual on let, Auto on right

The manual arm has a considerable bend it.

Auto pedal installed with clutch.

Manual pedal installed with clutch.

Also!!! Wow so much updates. I made a battery box.

Hopefully this next weekend I'll have a nice update with the rear end installed!
    Last edited by Inflame; 02-05-2015 at 09:08 AM.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Here's a picture of the manual arm with the automatic brake pedal

My Cars
    02 M3
    Not much of an update this weekend. Pressed in new rear ball joints, had a friend weld in rear trailing arm reinforcements and made a drivers side floor pan. Hoping wednesday to have the rear end in.

- - - Updated - - -

Valve cover powdercoated wrinkle black!! By Warhawk Powdercoating in Flint, MI

- - - Updated - - -

Machined seat floor mounts

My Cars
    02 M3
    Received my powdercoated parts last night, rearend hopefully goes in tomorrow night!

Rear block off panel is actually the one I made for my E46, though trimmed to fit in the E36. Cage is also from the E46, fit perfectly into the E36!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Updates!! Lots done this weekend.

First off, remember those elongated strut bolt holes? FIXED Thanks to the help of my cousin, we were able to properly reinforce the strut mounting tab, hopefully no more elongation. We'll see at the end of the year!

Cutting the plates and prepping the tabs.

Reinforced!

Also, finished up the interior! All I need to do now is a center vent gauge panel and door panel, not a priority though.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Camber plates are in!!

Also decided to start the cafe bike after a long winter hibernation, pretty happy it turned on 3rd kick! EVO in the picture is for sale! 03, built engine and trans, CE28's takata green, Fortune auto coils, etc etc, 520awhp, $24k!

Last edited by Inflame; 04-01-2014 at 07:44 AM.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Installed front suspension... though ran into a few issues with the tie rods. Seems like PO never changed them, so they're seized on. Bought new inners and outters. Also, still need a driveshaft -_-

My Cars
    02 M3
    My cousin thinks my car is gay.

Anyway, friend was able to finish welding my RTAB reinforcements last night (so many reinforcements on this car, geeze) and I ground them down to a nice smooth, flat surface using a flap disc grinding pad (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/finishing/flap-disc.jpg), my cousin gave me a few of these about a year ago and I've since fallen in-love with these things. Not only do they remove material quickly, they also polish it to a nice smooth surface right after!

Here are some install pics. Was only able to get one picture of the RTAB reinforcements due to me just wanted to get everything done for the night.

And rear end is in! Now today I'm going to hook up the e-brake, all the electronics, install rear AST suspension and the Stop Tech brake lines. Got the wrong front lines, so waiting for those to come in next week sometime I hope.

Sorry for potato picture.

Maybe it'll be on the ground this weekend!
    Last edited by Inflame; 04-04-2014 at 07:51 AM.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Decently large update from this past weekend! First, finished up the rear end... Installed the stop-tech SS brake lines and the suspension. Then, moved onto to small stuff, like button up the front end a little bit, installed my battery tray (no pic ) then... she went down on the ground!! Here are some pictures. Also, finished the floor pan with integrated dead pedal.

Rear suspension w/ Rouge Engineering RSM's

SS brake lines

And boom!! There she sits! Don't mind the dirtiness of the shop, been a hectic 5-6 months with 8 cars being built for the race season. Some things I noticed are... I NEED SPACERS! Good thing my friend Jan has a pair for the fronts, have 10mm spacers for the rear. Yes extended bolts will be used.

So, now in the mean time while I wait for a driveshaft... I decided to move my gauges up into the center vent area. Panel is a quick fix, painted piece (looks much worse in person). Need to wire in the switch for the auto trans jumper mod, kinda my own little kill switch.

Quick cool welding shot, friend Mike had to weld the floor pan for me since I don't have much experience with Arc welding. I burned a hole I'll get better though

Shot of the floor pan w/ welded in mounting tabs and dead pedal to rest my foot and cover the wiring in that area. I have tons of grip tape to apply in the foot well.

Next update should have the following done...
    -Tie rods inners and outters
    -Alignment
    -Ride height adjustment
    -Hopefully sunroof panel welded in
    -Drive shaft? Yeah right
    -Floor pan installed
    -Maybe oil pressure gauge to fill the void? We'll see
    -Hopefully the right front SS lines will come in along with my sway bar!
    -Make front under tray out of di-bond.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Today I finished up the floor pan and added the grip tape. Also, BIG NEWS!! I FINALLY ORDERED A DRIVESHAFT! woowwww that took way too long.

Bolted in, no grip tape

Grip tape added

My Cars
    2017 Subaru BRZ
    Lot of work man! Looking forward to seeing it on the track.
    1994 BMW 325is - Project 325 HPDE/TT | 2013 Scion FRS - Project FRS STX | 2017 Subaru BRZ - Project BRZ STX

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Cool idea for the dead pedal, makes me want to remove my OEM one
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    BMW's
    Wow so much progress! Cars coming along nice!

....is that the Kool-Aid man on your clutch pedal, lol?

Connect with us on: Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter | YouTube

My Cars
    02 M3
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately between work, school, fsae and building this car, it won't be done by this Sundays first track day

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    nice work!!
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank@AchillesMotorsports View Post
    Wow so much progress! Cars coming along nice!

....is that the Kool-Aid man on your clutch pedal, lol?
    Thanks! Haha no, I believe it's the grizzly bear grip tape brand or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ahardm3 View Post
    nice work!!
    Thank you!

-------------UPDATE-------------------

Installed new Lemforder inner and outter tie-rods, now I just need to do an alignment and adjust the ride height.

Quick Question: What is the common ride height people run on AST 4100's? 450f/550r spring rates.

When I first dropped the car on the ground, everyone noticed the front was hippo tucking way too much... so i fix it!

BOOM! 32mm spacers baby LMAO these are bolt on spacers

New wheel fitment

My Cars
    02 M3
    Some updates!! Where do I begin haha, some good, some bad.

The very good, I finally got a driveshaft and the car is running and driving great! After doing a quick alignment, the car was driving awesome. I took it for a quick shake down and didn't even make it 4 miles When I tightened the lug nuts, I either completely forgot or the battery powered impact lost some juice by the time I got to the driver side rear because 2 of the 5 lug nuts completely fell out, the rest were all loose! Friend at the shop came out and to help me and off we went...

Once that was taken care of, I buttoned up the rest of the car. I installed the 71* thermostat and sealed the sunroof. Also had a BBQ at the shop today.

First time the car saw sunlight in 5-6 months!

Broken down on the side of the high way

Left my mark at the shop, received some complaints about noise? lol

Next, friend mike welded in some tabs to hold the sunroof up then used silicone to seal it

Tape is hiding the cones, but also holding the silicone from dripping onto my nice seats!

Amidst a field of hondas, the pretty m3 sits. Wiped her down a bit, looking clean!

Next up is to make the exhaust and get a real alignment!

First track day tomorrow (won't be running due to no exhaust and noise regulations) so I'll have some pictures up from that.
    Last edited by Inflame; 04-14-2014 at 07:31 AM.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    good progress, I would suggest some wheel studs and a spacer rather than that extension piece, that would be a lot more solid for track use.
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    good progress, I would suggest some wheel studs and a spacer rather than that extension piece, that would be a lot more solid for track use.

The extension piece bolts to the hub then the wheel bolts to the extension, I'd assume that's a fairly solid setup. I'll be doing a few autocrosses and the such before the first track day. If I run into any issues I'll take them off.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quite a bit of progress in the last week...

I made my 3" exhaust, adjusted the drivers seat, temp fixed my broken gas pedal and I raced my friends K20 integra and won! lol

Anyway, here are some pics.

My new welding toy

Friend gave me his eBay headers and adjustable rear control arms as a trade off for parts I gave him... Wish I went with racelands or something instead, these things sucked!! Anyway, I had to make it work... I bought a cherry bomb 2.25" to 3" y-pipe (should've bought the lawson, but didn't know about it until I did this), and pretty much then it was a straight shot from the y-pipe to the rear end, with a slight up turn to the Vibrant 1149 muffler (stealth series).

straight shot to the rear

view from rear

muffler

finished

Annnddd my gas pedal broke -_- so I had to do a quick fix...

Also, I've been having an issue with a chip I installed. It is a BavAuto chip I bought off a forum member on here... Ever since the chip install, I've been having a hard start... It'll crank and crank and crank then all the sudden fire up. Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics from this past weekends track day.

Same idea I'm going for, for my rear "wing" setup...

Then this beast was there

Last edited by Inflame; 04-19-2014 at 12:45 AM.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Snapped some pictures from today, also got to hear my exhaust... WOW does it sounds good!

Friend taking it for a quick spin

My Cars
    02 M3
    Got the car aligned, installed TMS chip and eibach sway bar!

quick exhaust video, hopefully have one under load this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Y9up6hfuM

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quite pleased with the performance of the car!! With todays auto-x over, best time I ran was a 47.93x, good for 1st in SM and 3rd in SMS, not bad! FTD was 46.068.

Here are some photos and videos from todays event.

E36 M3 SCCA Autocross, Pontiac Silverdome 4/27/2014 - Run 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvkycdE5x0s

E36 M3 SCCA Autocross, Pontiac Silverdome 4/27/2014 - Run 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnMXdn2v2w

friends k20 ek civic and my m3

My Cars
    02 M3
    Weighed the car, came in at 2640#!!

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Nice, looks fun! Did you remove all of the interior and sound deadening?

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast