Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OEM+ Rear diffuser (For M3 diffusers) (Start of project...)

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    Can you give me the cad files and the exact materiel used please? give me all the details I need, size, materiel color etc. i have never printed 3D before, so trying to get an estimate locally and then I can get a quote to make them..

its the am yet? yes it is, 2am. time for more!...waiting....
    Last edited by WikerMan; 03-25-2014 at 03:08 AM.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Good fabrication skills man. I like the finished product.
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    a small contribution, I think that adding a side sheet or groove would be the best thing to do, that way it will eat / sit over covering the existing "rib" and add some more stability to the overall design. Forget about the 3rd sketchup design, it does look more aggressive idea however doesn't feel right with the e36 M3 shape and curves .

Something like the carbon fiber looking one(3rd in the pictures) that has a grove to sit over the existing diffuser rib, would be the best and look most OEM.

Last edited by WikerMan; 03-25-2014 at 05:51 AM.

My Cars
    E36 320i '91
    Quote Originally Posted by WikerMan View Post
    I am throwing my money at the computer screen but nothing is happening, make me some please..I will pay you in american dollars or with one of the kidnapped technically virgin gypsy girls I bought from the other part of town. can i have some please??
    Bhahaha I almost spat coffee on my school book when I read that

Cant wait to see them on the car, looks better than I imagined beforehand

My Cars
    93' BMW E36 325is
    Would this work for the rep m3 diffusers that are made for non m3 cars? If so then I'll buy some from you...like now

My Cars
    E36
    Ok guys, I'll finally update (Wikerman I'll pm you later).

First let me mention the problems:
    1. Surface finish isn't great. The heat plate the parts sit on makes that face pretty rough. Supposedly, acetone will lightly melt the surface and smooth it out (will test after Thursday).
    2. Profile isn't perfect to the diffuser.
    -I put too much angle on the bottom (opens up too much on the horizontal surface), will adjust with some washers and see how it improves)
    3. One of the three parts is warped, not sure why (the guy said he could make a new one if needed). It's the far left in the bottom pictures.
    4. I designed the parts for M6 hardware...but I need to change it to 1/4". The hardware store locally only has english in this aspect ratio.

Now onto pics. I'll even include bad pics that show the problems above My goal is to see about fixing the profile issue and possibly the surface finish issue for the next set of parts.

This is the top 'good' side.

Here you can see the 'bad' side on top.

Here you can see the missmatched profile. This is because the horizontal surface on the bottom where the bolts are is at the wrong angle, pulling this profile away from the diffuser.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 03-25-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    i already saw those pictures earlier

I have a solution, you need to scrap this design which "sits" and touches the ribs and you need to use your 3rd design, this one below.

final product diffuser.png

See how it eats up your ribs, which the current design only touches? thats what you want and essentially your diffuser becomes one with your ribs and bumper. And unlike the old design, not only this new one will pass the 5 feet test but the 1 foot one as well as look more nice and oem/professional that way as well. So use that design after you get the measurements and fitting right, make the ends a bit longer and have a groove cut in the middle.

I edited this in paint to clearly show what I mean. Observe this picture for better understanding. The Blue portion is estimated where the grove will be cut to sit over the ribs. notice my points in white writing and the small illustration in the box. See the Blues are your Diffusers, and the Black are the M3 Bumper ribs. See how the ribs go inside the diffuser. thats whats needed.

Also maybe ditch the 3m tape and get some black silicone that they use to attach your windshield glass and stuff like that, just a small portion on the diffuser will create a rubber like attachment to the bumper and ribs and reduce any vibration as well as being easily removable if needed.

Now let me address some of the other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post

1. Surface finish isn't great. The heat plate the parts sit on makes that face pretty rough. Supposedly, acetone will lightly melt the surface and smooth it out (will test after Thursday).
    Maybe a different materiel or printer but to be honest it could be sanded down smooth with a belt sander and painted or just sanded up to 1500 - 2000 grit and it should be enough. My rear diffuser looks faded anyway so I wouldn't mind having it painted along with these.
    2. Profile isn't perfect to the diffuser.
    -I put too much angle on the bottom (opens up too much on the horizontal surface), will adjust with some washers and see how it improves)
    My goal is to see about fixing the profile issue and possibly the surface finish issue for the next set of parts.
    I think you are really close perhaps 3 more prototypes at best to perfection, next time only have 1 printed at a time, that way you can test its fitment profile and if you dont like it you can adjust and reprint another one. that way you save on time/costs/wasted resources and save the planet and the bees and bs like that. once you got the perfect snug fitment, work on using better materiel/printer and give me (and the other guys) the file so we can try and make some locally.
    Last edited by WikerMan; 03-25-2014 at 10:46 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    Wikerman, I like that idea however I want these to be able to be cut from a 2D CNC laser, so they can't have the groove the rib. The best idea is to add a sidesheet, however I honestly don't think they look that bad as is. I will probably cut some side sheets out to test that idea and glue them to the sides, in essence doing the same thing

I also like the idea of silicone, but I want these somewhat removable. Honestly the tape is probably overkill as the bolts hold the part on very tight.

Thanks for all the feedback!

For the future:

1. print out 6 side sheets to test on current proto parts.
    2. Fix profile and print out 3 more proto parts (I will use the other more aggressive style for these). Also print out 6 side sheets pending results of #1.
    3. Profit
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 03-25-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    Good point, But I wanna 3D printed option I found a company locally and they have the 3d equipment, with the grove and all it would look so much better the gluing stuff around lol. Maybe we could cut the grove with some hand tools like a hand held rotary drill set..

But to be honest using sheets is not a bad idea either. It could really work and solve the rough edges/surface issue. Okay man, I think your should incorporate the usage of the sheets however you must use somewhat thick enough, maybe 2 - 3mm thick sheets on each side and precision cut on the 3d/2d mill. So they appear to be one piece like it came that way from the factory and not something some ricer kid has been going around gluing on to his car.

After you get it all measured up and when I get the final product I personally would use black silicone as it will dampen the vibrations, its not really permanent, just rubberized adhesive, I installed some rear 3rd brake lights with it, and it can be pulled right off the rear windshield. Just the idea of tape makes me go yuk.

Print a set of the normal ones too, the aggressive ones look kinda bad on the paper, but maybe they would look better on the car in real life. waiting to see more soon and hope to hear back from you once everything is complete....I am going to meet around the first week of next month. So I want to show these off.
    Last edited by WikerMan; 03-25-2014 at 11:08 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    Actually for you I could probably just add the sheets and make it one part for 3D printing. Let me get the profile dialed in then we'll go from there.

I just sent my printer the STL file for the side sheets. We'll see how those look.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    Thanks man Yea having the 3D option for the STL files with the sheets on the side in one piece for a 3D shop to print them out would be like BOSSCAR

a little off topic, ever thought of making something for the front of the m3/m tech e36 bumpers? I have been thinking of getting a velocity splitter or making something out of the whats called the "HD Garden Lip(?)" or designing my own from a sheet of dibond and a jigsaw but never got around to it.
    Last edited by WikerMan; 03-25-2014 at 11:18 AM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Man the detail, good job. What did you use for the 3D modeling? C4D?
    1993 325is 5speed mauritiusblau-metallic(in project mode)

My Cars
    03Msport 540i 6MT & E38
    Thanks! I would like to test fit this on a nonM Mstyle diffuse and see if it'll fit Working on CAD-ing it up. First getting diffuser side correct (it is such a weird shape), then will draft up some side profiles (with a bit more smoothness than the wood pictured above) - - - Updated - - - getting there....leaving a tiny bit of room for some double stick tape. - - - Updated - - - and a first stab. Need to cut a few different shapes out and see how they look on the car.
    I didn't know how far you were going to develop it. I was just thinking of using materials that's similar to the oem plastic piece. Is it ABS? Need some tape? I have a semi roll of 3M VHB I can ship you if your willing to PayPal me back the ship cost!

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 M3
    Man i have some ideas that might make it look better ish. I just don't know how to explain it on the computer.....lol I think they look a little long and a little thick if you know what i mean. Hopefully we will meet sometime this year so i can explain a little better.

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    Updates Please

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellu View Post
    Man the detail, good job. What did you use for the 3D modeling? C4D?
    Thanks! Creo 2 (used to be ProE)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WikerMan View Post
    Updates Please

Sorry! Been busy, waiting to get the side sheets from the guy. After that, I'll have him do another set or two with some changes as mentioned (I like having one set of parts designed for a 3D printer (more variation) and one set for a 2D part, like from a sheet of ABS).

I'll post pics when I get stuff, the car is filthy (had a bmw meet on a rainy day ).
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 04-03-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    Have been waiting the whole week for something, I know adding this to my car will give me the ultimate reps, aero drag and drif powar and makes girls attracted to me +2 which would make my attractiveness back to Positive 1! ... Okay maybe I get non of that but I really like the concept and wanted to try your final product on mine, hope its finished soon so i can print them out and put them on my car before I go to meet up some friends and bmw owners.

rain makes my car look more glossy and shiny. when you finish it make me that model please that makes it one part with the sheets and everything for 3d printing
    Last edited by WikerMan; 04-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    still waiting...but more pics of the first proto.

1995 M3

My Cars
    Cars
    Lookin good and subtle. Wish I had a M rear bumper.

My Cars
    '94 328IS, '92 318IS
    Not bad looking even the first protos... nice work. actually they look kinda oem, would be nicer when you have the sides to make them look flush with the rest of the diffuser.

whats the hold up? why is it taking this long? I was hoping it would be all done by now.

Quote Originally Posted by acbx View Post
    Lookin good and subtle. Wish I had a M rear bumper.
    its never too late for things like this you know.

My Cars
    1995 E36 BMW 325i Sedan
    You just had to think of this when I finally feel satisfied with my AC-S diffuser.. When I see the final product I might just buy the M-tech styled officer for non-m if it fits haha.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    When can I buy this?

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
    When can I buy this?

soon
    1995 M3

My Cars
    1994 Alpina B3 3.0
    I can't imagine this will have any aero benefits, you're not creating any more of a "reverse wing" down there. So this is a "just for looks" thing right?

I have no problem with that, just trying to understand if I'm missing something

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
    I can't imagine this will have any aero benefits, you're not creating any more of a "reverse wing" down there. So this is a "just for looks" thing right?

I have no problem with that, just trying to understand if I'm missing something
    I wouldn't think this is made for down drag or aerodynamics. these are street cars... not race cars bro.

Alright. I'll buy a set for my 318ti. I hv the M - tech rear bumper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast