Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Febi/Filtran Transmission Filter Similar (pics)

My Cars
    1996 BMW 740iL

Febi/Filtran Transmission Filter Similar and Fluid Change (pics)

I realize that this is the E38 board, but back in the E32 board, there are more 735/750s than 740iL, and since both E32/E38 share the same motor/transmission (up to 97 anyways), I thought it would be best to post here.

So after sifting through posts, experiences of people using Filtran or Febi filters, I still did not come to a decisive conclusion as to why the Febi ones were not good. Couple posts said "aftermarket" but that was not known whether it was a Febi brand or some other unknown brand.

Couple weeks back, my car was low on transmission fluid because it would make a whine when cold, and go away when hot. I put some new MaxLife fluid to mix it with the old OEM Esso fluid to help clean whatever out. The whine went away, but I knew that I needed to do a filter change and fluid change too.

So then I took the bait and bought a Febi filter instead of the Filtran. I took pictures, and well I think the pics speak for themselves. The car is a 1993 740iL M60/5HP30 transmission with 115k.

Didn't have room to remove the drain plug because of the exhaust pipes, so did it the old fashioned way and just drained by unbolting the pan.

New filter/gasket

Pan removed; no metal shavings, just wear after 115k

Magnet

Entire pan

Magnet goo

How the car is up

Clean insides of transmission

Old filter with old oil and two bottles of MaxLife

Esso+Maxlife

Filter dated September 4, 1992

Old filter; Observe >PA66 GF30%< Febi filter

Inside old filter

New filter; Observe >PA66 GF30%< Febi filter

Inside new filter

Inside old filter

Old filter again

Old vs New Febi

Clean transmission
    Last edited by shogun; 03-13-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: copy of the thread moved to E32 forum, as E32 740 also have 5HP30

My Cars
    1996 BMW 740iL

Febi/Filtran Transmission Filter Similar and Fluid Change (pics)

New filter came with screw on the left (without washer) and old one was the shorter one with the washer; I used the original ones with washers

After the drain, I was able to pump in 9 quarts of MaxLife. Better a little more because it can still escape through the transmission vent if too much.

So I can safely assume from this that Febi is still safe to use, and that my car originally came with a Febi filter and not with a Filtran filter. Car does not whine, but it has taken me A LOT of times to get the fluid level right! If car whines when cold, and does not when warm, chances are fluid is low. Hope this has helped you guys, the Febi filter is significantly cheaper than the Filtran one. But when in doubt, just go OEM Filtran. This is just my personal experience.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    96 740iL
    Can the solenoids on the valve body be taken and cleaned when the pan is off?

My Cars
    95 540i, 09 Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by cdc84 View Post
    Can the solenoids on the valve body be taken and cleaned when the pan is off?
    You will need to drop the valve body!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    Still running with no problems with that filter? Is the rubber gasket better or worse than the green "paper" one? Did you have to change the gasket or was the old one still usable?

My Cars
    97 BMW 740i, 03 BMW 540i
    Just saw this, thanks for the writeup. I have the 5hp30 in my 740i so this is very useful

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Old thread I found when searching for 5HP30 whining noise in E38 750 and E38 740. Same 5HP30 is used in the E32 740.
    So can some more people confirm that there is no problem with the Febi or any other aftermarket filter on the 5HP30? Because the author of this below article mentions

"Editor's Note: It's IMPERETIVE that only original (OEM) BMW filters with the word "FILTRAN" stamped on it be used. The OEM filters have vertical ridges on the interior that prevent the filter from collapsing on itself under pressure, which can starve the transmission for fluid and cause the dreaded metallic "whining" noise."
    http://www.e38.org/zf-5hp30-service.html

From what I see on the pics of Oliver, the Febi filters also have vertical ridges same like the OEM filters. Oliver has had no problems.
    Or was something changed in design meanwhile?
    No idea how old that article is from the link I post here.

What is the purpose of this black plastic box in the 5HP30, have seen some 5HP30 without it? http://www.e38.org/members/mikeburnett/zf5-1.jpg

Oil carrier 24111421209 Part 24111421209 (OIL CARRIER) was found on the following vehicles:
    E31: 840Ci,840i,850Ci,E32: 740i/iL, E34: 540i, E38: 740i/iL,750iL/iLP,E39: 540i

All this info/hype about tranny whine because of a wrong / aftermarket filter is according to my research a / one very old post from a davidc2 on RF E38 forum from 02-12-2003 !! where he once mentioned (excerpt):

Transmission whine FIXED!!!!!!
    Well, for those of you who changed your transmission fluid and then developed the dreaded whining sucking whirring noise in 1st and 2nd gear, I've got GOOD NEWS.
    As Kirt Koeller suggested, the problem was indeed caused by an aftermarket filter and a bad "O" ring. The shop that worked on it put in an aftermarket transmission oil filter despite assuring me TWICE that they used a real OEM BMW filter. I took it back to them last week and they insisted that the noise was "normal", that there was nothing else to be done and, if you can believe this, that the noise was not very bad, "If you turn up the radio." -- I'm not joking.

Ronald Trochelmann at Performing Imports in Roswell, GA put the car on a lift and immediately noticed fluid leaking from the transmission around the sensor "O" rings. It turns out that Bavarian evidently did not replace the "O" rings as they should have. I'm not sure if they didn't notice the leak last week or if it just started to leak over the weekend. Either way, I'm unhappy with them to say the least. I put the aftermarket filter in a large ziplock bag and will take it with me tomorrow when I visit Bavarian to discuss a refund for the mess they caused. Up until this incident, I had been relatively happy with their work.

Performing Imports removed the aftermarket filter, installed a new BMW filter and new "O" rings for the sensor, added a couple quarts of the liquid gold Esso fluid, and voila! No more tranny whine. The cost was a reasonable 2 hours of labor plus parts.
    The reason that the aftermarket oil filter didn't function properly is that it was collapsing under pressure and starving the transmission for fluid. If you've never seen the filter, it's flat -- about a 1/2" tall. The BMW filter has vertical ridges in it to prevent the top and bottom parts from collapsing on each other, but the aftermarket filter did not. FYI, the real BMW filter has "FILTRAN" stamped on it. If you don't see "FILTRAN" on it, you don't have the OEM part.

I also had them change the oil and drop the oil pan to check for loose oil pump bolts and, sure enough, I had three loose bolts that were barely hand tight, so that's one less thing to have to worry about.

on 02-12-2003 he posted: Well, yes, I think they screwed up (more)
    But, more importantly than that, the thing that bothers me is how they (mis)handled the situation. I can accept that these cars are difficult to diagnose and that mechanics can make honest mistakes from time to time, but to tell me that I should just turn up the radio to hide the tranny noise takes the cake. And, that I was misled (lied to) about getting a real BMW filter combined with the fact that they re-used an "O" ring instead of replacing it is just shoddy work.
    Prior to this, I had used them on several occasions for brakes, rotors, oil change, right-side thrust arm, bushings, sunroof, etc., without too much to complain about other than somewhat slow service. However, this event has totally shaken my confidence in BMS. If I ever use them again, I will *NOT* just leave my vehicle with them and pick it up later -- I'll stand there and watch them do the work like I did today at Performing Imports (who didn't mind at all, btw). That seems to be the best way to make sure the work really gets done the right way.
    As far as prices go, BMS charged slightly less per hour but didn't offer a BMWCCA discount, whereas Performing Imports charges slightly more per hour but does offer a 10% BMWCCA discount, so the rates are pretty much the same. Performing Imports openly says that they mark some parts above dealer retail, so you have to watch out for that and either supply your own (they rightly insist on only BMW OEM parts) or get prices up front before the work is performed. Based on today's experience, I would go to them again, but I don't think you'll save much money versus going to a dealer.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    quote end

I have the feeling that the problem was a wrong or old filter O-Ring, that is also known from other aftermarket filters for the 4HP22/24.
    Here some pics we made from 4HP24 O-Rings
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OxPlaMGPmg...0/P1160537.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tCh1jOqX6-...0/P1160536.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l1rMz_uPtp...0/P1160535.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OAlWaVkmQc...0/P1160542.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Senj0xzbeT...0/P1160544.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rqe_8xbxUY...0/P1160547.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ayoQl2doBG...0/P1160548.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZAfDA3DBxl...0/P1160541.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kVPL8rNLbV...0/P1160543.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OxqRFaBVFB...0/P1160545.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4kbSXFjI0T...0/P1160538.jpg
    Last edited by shogun; 03-15-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yesterday we disassembled a FEBI and a FILTRAN trans filter 5HP30, here you see the differences on my buddies website, click on left side index Noise http://e32b12.blogspot.jp/search/label/Noise
    In my opinion it is not be the filter which makes sometimes the whining noise when really hard driving, but a not 100% fitting O-Ring or not correct fluid level. Some weeks ago a friend with a Porsche Carrera 4 asked us for help as after a pro shop made the trans fluid change he had whining noise when engine and trans were cold. We found out that fluid level was not correct = too low. We added fluid and I tested the car very morning for 1 week with cold engine / trans and the whining noise was definitely gone by just adding some more trans fluid. Also the type/maker of the transmission fluid might have some effect. Here in Japan we drive Japanese made transmission fluid and when we tested we also found there are differences in hardness in fluids of some makers.

Edit: 5 years later and using many other filters from Febi, VAICO, Meyle, Meistersatz, Mann and some other brands I can definitely confirm, that the problem of whining comes from too low fluid and/or bad fitting O-rings mainly
    Last edited by shogun; 08-21-2019 at 07:56 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Anybody else has experience with both, Filtran and Febi? Would like to hear comments with real, own experience. Not the many gossips from the internet and some "key-board expert mechanics" then spread around the world.

My Cars
    93 e32
    I personally think the filter o-ring has something to do with the whine. I did a valve body on my 93 740i a year or so ago and did not have a new o-ring for the filter (Febi) so reused the old one. It didn't seem to fit real tight but i didn't want to wait so went ahead and buttoned it up. Now have the whine sometimes and will probably replace the filter AND o-ring sometime soon. Also made a dipstick for the tranny a couple of weeks ago, so now I can fill from up top!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 740iL
    Hello,

Somewhere down the line I changed the Febi filter to a Filtran because of the whine which went away (I was also in the process of changing my valve body since I had lost reverse). But I also heard that the whine could be caused by the o-ring not sealing up completely to where the filter and valve body meet, not sure though.

I am at 220k and I changed the fluid at 200k for preventative measure with MaxLife. I'm following a fluid change at every 30k, and a fluid and filter change every 60k. Still shifting good!

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    I can confirm that the FEBI filter is fine on the 5hp30. There were 2 O-rings included. It looks to me like they added the larger diameter O-ring to the kit. The thinner ring was in a plastic bag as the Larger diameter O-ring was placed on the filter. I checked the diameter of the thicker one (one on the filter) and it matched the original I removed. I tossed the thin one. I have no clue why they didn't toss it themselves as it caused some confusion and was not mentioned at all in the docs. I want to thank Shogun for his extensive research into this and the PM's he answered for me. Once again The FEBI is fine and as long as you use the correct diameter O-ring you will not get the whine which in fact is the sound of sucking getting past the smaller o-ring. I'm going to cross post this in the Official Tranny thread.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Anybody else has experience with both, Filtran and Febi? Would like to hear comments with real, own experience. Not the many gossips from the internet and some "key-board expert mechanics" then spread around the world.
    I Have been following shogunv12 As A Lurker recently as did This To My dd e38v12 recently.

I ordered the ZF filter from pelican and was shipped a BMW branded kit. 0 complaints

However my whining howling whistle noise was not Trans related; it was a osv.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    OSV replacement is shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qz4rKtId0
    Thanks for this hint on the OSV as problem for the howling whistle noise.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    OSV replacement is shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qz4rKtId0
    Thanks for this hint on the OSV as problem for the howling whistle noise.
    Never had an osv on any of my v8 or i6 engines howl like the v12 m73.
    The noise resonated through the gearbox even when the car was running to add Trans fluid to level post change. I'm happy to have changed filter and gasket just for piece of mind.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Any updates from owners with various brands of filters?

SUBJECT: Transmission Fluid Level Checking Procedure and Application Chart

MODEL: All with the ZF and GM automatic transmission

SITUATION:
    Checking the fluid level may be necessary if there is evidence of a leak, a complaint related to fluid level or in the event repairs are made to the transmission.
    NOTE: USE ONLY THE TRANSMISSION FLUID THAT IS APPROVED FOR USE WITH THE SPECIFIC TRANSMISSION AS INDICATED IN THE ATTACHED FLUIDS APPLICATION CHART. ALL OTHER FLUIDS WILL CAUSE NON WARRANTABLE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

PROCEDURE:

Fluid Level Checking Procedure for all Transmissions without a Dipstick:
    1. The transmission temperature must be between 30°C and 50°C before checking can begin. Use the DIS or the MODIC to determine the transmission temperature.
    2. The vehicle must be level and without load. With the engine running, switch on the air conditioning. This will increase the idle speed and ensure that all oil passages in the transmission are filled with oil.
    3. Step on the brake firmly, apply parking brake fully and move the selector lever through each gear position, pausing briefly in each gear.
    4. With the engine running and the selector lever in Park position, remove the filler plug located on the transmission (see picture for location). If a small stream of oil runs out, the fluid level is correct.
    5. If no oil runs out when the filler plug is removed, the fluid level is too low. Add oil until it starts to overflow.
    6. With the engine running, reinstall the oil filler plug and tighten to proper torque. (Refer to section F below for proper tightening torque)

Fluid Level Checking Procedure for all Transmissions with a Dipstick (As of 02/91 the THM R1 transmissions are not equipped with a dipstick):
    1. The transmission temperature must be between 30°C and 50°C before checking can begin. Use the DIS or the MODIC to determine the transmission temperature.
    2. The vehicle must be level and without load. With the engine running, switch on the air conditioning. This will increase the idle speed and ensure that all oil passages in the transmission are filled with oil.
    3. Step on the brake firmly, apply parking brake fully and move the selector lever through each gear position, pausing briefly in each gear.
    4. Pull out dipstick and wipe clean with a lint free cloth
    5. Reinsert dipstick completely. Pull out dipstick and place bottom tip on a level surface, measure level from bottom tip as shown

Compare measurement and oil temperature reading from MoDiC or DIS with Table below.
    Oil °C.......20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90
    MIN (mm).. 3.. 5. 8 11 13 14 16 17 19 21 22 24 26 29 31
    MAX (mm) 15 17 20 22 25 26 27 28 29 32 34 36 38 41 43
    6. Add additional oil if needed. Reinsert dipstick completely. Pull out dipstick and look at level. Level should be between MAX and MIN marks as shown.

Amount of oil between MAX and MIN marks is 0.3 lit (0.6 pts). On vehicles with a dipstick tube if transmission fluid is needed use only Dexron III.

Adding Oil after Transmission Repairs:

1. With the engine stopped, add oil to the transmission until it overflows.
    2. Insert the filler plug and tighten by hand. Place the selector lever in Park position and start the engine.
    3. Follow the fluid level checking procedure as described under step A or B.

Notes on fluid level checking and adding transmission oil:
    Whenever all lifetime use oils (Shell LA 2634, Esso LT71141 or Texaco ETL 7045 or 8072B) are to be collected in a clean container and reused.
    It is preferred to check the transmission fluid level at 30°C, this way the transmission will hold extra oil versus topping off at 50°C. If the transmission temperature rises above 50ºC during the fluid level checking procedure, the resulting oil level will be too low. Have necessary equipment, oil pump and transmission fluid available before starting the fluid level checking procedure.

Tightening Torque: ZF Trans Oil Filler Plug Oil Drain Plug GM Trans Oil Filler Plug Oil Drain Plug. A5S310Z 100 Nm 15 Nm A4S270R 25 Nm 33 Nm. A5S560Z 100 Nm 50 Nm A4S310R 25 Nm 33 Nm. A5S440Z 35 Nm 30 Nm A5S360R 20 Nm 20 Nm.A5S325Z 30 Nm 35 Nm A5S 390R 20 Nm 20 Nm

PARTS INFORMATION: Attached to this bulletin are copies of the Transmission Fluids Application Charts which identify what type of transmission fluid is to be used with each model based on production date. These charts can be ordered from Product Engineering (a preprinted order form is attached).

Item Number......................... Description....................................... .................... Price
    SD 92-113... Set of Transmission Fluid Application Charts-ZF/GM.................................. $4.00
    SD 92-114... Transmission Fluid Check/Filling Card-ZF/GM........................................... $2.00
    SD 92-115... Set of Transmission Fluid Application & Filling Procedure Wall Charts-ZF/GM $10.00

Source: Link with drawings to Bentley Publishers http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...TFCapacity.pdf
    Last edited by shogun; 08-19-2019 at 09:20 PM.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Still running fine.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    We have meanwhile installed several sets FCP Groton Meistersatz trans kits for 4HP22 with short necks on the filters for the older 4HP22 transmissions like on the E30, E24, E23 as well as the long neck filters for newer 4HP22/24 on for example E32 735 and 750 as well as Alpina. No probs. Als some more Febi Filter on 5HP30, no problem.
    Now bought some Mann filter kits for 5HP30 and going to order one kit for the 5HP24 = BMW Auto Trans Filter Kit (A5S440Z) - Mann H2522XKIT.
    Have heard some good results from the German E39 forum, they use the MANN filter kits with reasonable priced Ravenol trans fluid http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5139/...1c54d4d2_b.jpg
    RAVENOL ATF 5/4 HP Fluid is suitable for use in automatic transmission of ZF Serie 4 HP (4HP20, 4HP22, 4HP24) und 5HP (5HP18, 5HP19, 5HP24, 5HP30). http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/us...-hp-fluid.html

Most important in my opinion is proper ATF filling and very carefully checking the size of the o-ring which goes onto the neck of that filter. If that is not 100% fitting, the trans pump will suck besides ATF also air and then the typical whining starts, especially with cold fluid, as the fluid volume will become larger with ATF temperature increase.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Mann filter kits are fine, installed several sets on 5HP30 and also on 5HP24. The kit comes with 2 different sized oil pan gaskets, as the filter itself fits on many different BMW and also Landrover etc.

Today the owner of an E36 Alpina B3 with 5HP18 automatic transmission came to my place and asked if we can check the trans, as he has sometimes a whining noise, especially when the ATF is cold = low by volume. To make the story short, this shows again that the filter brand is not the problem, because his filter we found is the original Filtran filter from the factory from the day the car was built = approx 20 years ago, filter never changed as well as the o-ring.
    So we checked the O-ring and that seemed to be degraded over the many years in the trans with high temperatures and then cooling down periods. We compared it to the new one he brought along (original BMW part number) and could even see the difference without measuring, degraded. This caused air suction thru the sealing area where the o-ring is fitted = filter neck to lower valve body connection.
    Some interesting remarks about material use for transmission o-rings from Parker http://blog.parker.com/o-rings-and-s...smission-fluid

So I recommend to always check the o-ring size when you have such whine noise besides the correct fluid level (too low fluid level also causes whining). But the problem of whining is clearly air suction and not the filter brand. Some cheapo trans filters come without a new o-ring, ALWAYS replace the o-ring with a new one, the old ones are >20 years in operation, time to replace.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Still running fine.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just for info a case on the German 7-forum which was clarified yesterday. In brief translated:
    problem: whining after trans flushing and filter change. 2nd time checked ATF level, o.k., transmission is a 5HP 30 E38 M60 740i built 94. Trans operated well and gives power. In cold condition the first 2 gears make a extreme whining noise. When trans fluid is at operating level, the whining noise can only be noticed when the strong accelerating from stand still. Nothing else can be heard, also no whining noise at kick down or full throttle. Noise only when start driving from standstill.
    -----------
    The the usual comments by members to check the ATF level again correct, filling the ATF at cold temperature and when switching thru all the gears and the ATF is at 40 degree C it should overflow, to check the filter o-ring at the top of the filter etc pp.
    Control temp should be max. 50 degree, better at 40 degree C, so a bit more ATF can be filled.
    ÖLKONTROLLE ist ganz einfach: Getriebe kalt, unter +30°C. Einfüllschraube lockern, Motor laufen lassen, Einfüllschraube raus, 1/2 Öl rein, alle Fahrstufen LANGSAM durchschalten, ca. 10 Sek. in jeder Stufe verweilen, und das zwei Mal. Wenn es bei +40°C nicht rausläuft ist zu wenig drin, wenn es bei der Temperatur richtig rausläuft, kurz abwarten bis es weniger wird, und dann zudrehen. =
    Oil check simply explained, transmission cold, below + 30 degree C. Open fill bolt a bit, start engine, remove fill bolt, fill 1/2 liter ATF, slowly switch thru all gears, wait in every gear 10 seconds, and repeat that again. In case the ATF is not overflowing at a temp of then 40 degree C. = not enough ATF filled, if a lot runs out, wait a moment till less runs out and then close the fill plug.
    --------------
    car was again brought to the shop and claimed. ATF was drained again, new filter installed, again new ATF filled. Result: whining almost gone. Only noticable with sporty driving, or from a red signal at a crossing starting, but much less noise in overall than before. No noise anymore in cold condition. But I will continue to check
    ------------------
    Final report: Fault found, thanks to Andreas. A WRONG ATF filter was installed, now all is working well again and no more whining. The shop had installed a filter from an 5HP24 transmission into my 5HP30. The 5HP24 filter sucks the ATF from the bottom, as the oil pan is much larger compared to the one from the 5HP30. The 5HP30 filter sucks the ATF from the side of the filter.

So when ordering an aftermarket filter, make sure you order the correct one, sometimes easy to mix up, for example from Mann Hummel
    5HP30 filter kit is called H2522/1x kit
    5HP24 filter is called H2522x kit
    Last edited by shogun; 04-29-2018 at 07:14 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Another case of whining transmission solved. On another forum someone had a whining after he changed the filter + ATF on a 5HP30, ATF level was correct and double checked. He removed the trans pan again and installed another filter, whining was gone. Then he tested the cheapo aftermarket filter which was causing the whining problem.
    The O-Ring at the top was o.k.
    Then he tested the filter with compressed air and found a big leak on the side of the filter. A transmission filter must perform under high temperatures and come into contact with transmission fluid. The standard production design uses stamped steel that is crimped and/or welded. This crimped section of upper and lower part was leaking heavily, as that is not the lowest part of the filter in the pan, the filter sucked also air with the ATF and that caused the whining.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Mine is still running fine. Do you have any pictures of these ruptured aftermarket ones? What aftermarket brand was it?
    Last edited by Hueristic; 12-07-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    I can confirm that the FEBI filter is fine on the 5hp30. There were 2 O-rings included. It looks to me like they added the larger diameter O-ring to the kit. The thinner ring was in a plastic bag as the Larger diameter O-ring was placed on the filter. I checked the diameter of the thicker one (one on the filter) and it matched the original I removed. I tossed the thin one. I have no clue why they didn't toss it themselves as it caused some confusion and was not mentioned at all in the docs. I want to thank Shogun for his extensive research into this and the PM's he answered for me. Once again The FEBI is fine and as long as you use the correct diameter O-ring you will not get the whine which in fact is the sound of sucking getting past the smaller o-ring. I'm going to cross post this in the Official Tranny thread.
    Just to confirm, 2 weeks ago I did a VB overhaul on an E32 740 with 5HP30 and there I also used a Febi filter, no problem.

With regards to the second o-ring I assume that that Febi Filter also fits other cars transmissions. For example I also often use the Mann filter H 2522/1 x KIT, that also comes with 2 gaskets as shown here, plus 2 different oil pan gaskets
    https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/e...713BD4339F793A
    That is also because it fits the BMWs with 5HP30 such as E34, E32, E39, E31, E38 PLUS the Rolls Royce Silver Seraph, so the other oil pan gasket is for the RR, and I assume the other o-ring too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast