Thread: Center Air Vent and Sunroof Switch L.E.D. Modification Service

My Cars
    91 850i

Thumbs up Center Air Vent and Sunroof Switch L.E.D. Modification Service

In response to Revtor's most-excellent write-up on how to retrofit LEDs into the e31's center air vent and the success of doing it on my own unit, I'd like to offer my services to all of you.

Starting a new thread to keep track of folks who are interested.

The E31 center vent (BMW Part # 64221383084 {LHD} and 64221383087 {RHD}) LED modification and refurb service is $325 USD.*
    The sunroof switch (BMW Part # 61311378862) LED modification is $75 USD.*
    *COMING SOON: E31 Side Door air vent L.E.D. mods to match [$155 USD per pair {for both left and right sides}]*
    *Both prices include return shipping for customers in the Continental US (CONUS).

Details:
    My center vent service includes a complete and thorough cleaning of the center vent, removal of the existing weatherstrip, installation and wiring of LEDs for all lighted indicators and roller wheels. Brand new weatherstrip is applied. Any damaged plastic is repaired with epoxy. All plastic air flap joints, gears and connectors are lubricated with silicone grease. The wiring is MILSPEC PTFE Silver-coated-Copper and is very high quality. The connector is fabricated from your old bulb so it is compatible with the E31's factory wiring harness: no modifications required! High quality carbon film resistors are used throughout and a diode is installed to protect against reverse polarity.

[Update 3/3/2020: Servicing one vent takes about 40 hours of hands-on time (which involves the cleaning, modification, extensive soldering and wiring, gluing and everything else involved; my time and attention-to-detail are reflected in the cost. Also, turnaround time is higher than expected (2-3 months) because I have a full time job and do this mainly as a hobby to help support the 8er community.]

The sunroof switch service includes the LED retrofit and usage of the same wiring.

I've had to change the pricing of this service, because the work is so laborious and time consuming.
    Both prices already include return shipping costs within CONUS.
    If you are outside of CONUS/International, the price will be higher to accommodate the exact international shipping cost.

I accept either a personal check/money order/cashier's check, which you can include in the shipment when you send me your existing unit(s) or PayPal.
    If paying by PayPal, add $5 to the center vent and $2 to the sunroof switch cost.

I'm backed up with projects, so return time is currently 2-3 months for center air vents and about two weeks for the sunroof switch. If there is a surge of interest, that could change.

Instructions:
    Carefully remove your center air vent and mail it to me (with all the metal clips and the old bulb).
    The best way to remove the center air vent is to remove the center console (plastic assembly holding stereo unit, climate controls and computer AND to remove the instrument cluster/gauge cluster plastic bezel. This allows you to get the vent out from both the left and from underneath.
    The best tools to use are long, flexible plastic rulers, as they will give you the reach to depress each metal clip and gently push the vent out without breaking it. I recommend 4 to 5 flexible plastic 12" rulers to assist in this process, as you want to remove the vent with no damage.

-Include all metal retaining clips with your vent, so I can epoxy them back onto your vent, making installation easy for you. Include them inside a small plastic baggie so they don't get lost.
    -Include your old bulb, which is needed to fabricate the "connector"
    -Pack it exceptionally well and ship insured with a tracking number

Warranty:
    In the unlikely event that any of the LEDs fail in the course of normal usage over a year, I'm willing to fix/replace LEDs for you at no additional service fee (not including shipping).
    After a year, if you have any issues, I'll happily repair for the cost of parts and a small service fee, depending on the extent of any damage. As of April 2020, none of my customers (including my own personal 8) have had any issues in the past 6 years!

e31 1991 BMW 850i Center Vent (BMW Part # 64221383084) and Sunroof Switch (BMW Part # 61311378862) with custom L.E.D. Modification by MJR GROUP. Finished Customer Product
    by M J R, on Flickr

e31 1991 BMW 850i Center Vent (BMW Part # 64221383084) and Sunroof Switch (BMW Part # 61311378862) with custom L.E.D. Modification by MJR GROUP. Finished Customer Product
    by M J R, on Flickr

BMW Sunroof Switch (61311378862) L.E.D./LED Modification Service Flyer
    by M J R, on Flickr

e31 91 BMW 850i Center Vent (BMW Part # 64221383084) with custom LEDs installed (second unit successfully modded!) by MJR GROUP, on Flickr

e31 91 BMW 850i Center Vent (BMW Part # 64221383084) with custom LEDs installed (second unit successfully modded!) by MJR GROUP, on Flickr

e31 91 BMW 850i Center Vent (center potentiometer) with custom LEDs installed (second unit successfully modded!) by MJR GROUP, on Flickr

Sunroof Switch (BMW Part # 61311378862) L.E.D Retrofit Installed (battery +12VDC output) by MJR GROUP, on Flickr

e31 91 BMW 850i Center Vent & Sunroof switch installed (custom LED modification) by MJR GROUP, on Flickr

e31 1991 BMW 850i Center Console (custom LED lighting mods and bluetooth handsfree microphone)
    by M J R, on Flickr
    Last edited by mjrgroup; 04-09-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Updated pricing and details
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

radlaw is online now SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    I'd like to offer my services to all of you. Starting a new thread to keep track of folks who are interested.The E31 center vent (BMW Part # 64221383084 {LHD} and 64221383087 {RHD}) LED modification and refurb service is $175 USD.
    I'm interested in the vent service. Will send unit when I get the time to take it out. Probably, next month.

My Cars
    91 850i

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Looking good!
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    E31 4.4, E66 V12, E70 TT
    Looks good
    1994 E31 840CI "Sport" 4.4 - Hellrot Red - Black Nappa Leather - Every Option available - OEM 65M Wheels, EDC delete/Bilstein, M60-M62 engine transplant, updated software, CSI Steering box & AHK, Full AC Schnitzer kit, Wood Trim, Front Plate Delete, Xenons + LEDs, Tints, Black Ind. headliner, BREMBO BBK, Hamann Exhaust, Custom aluminium throttle bushings, KAW springs, Strong Strut, Greg K GenII sway bars, Camber Plates, Stut tower reinforcements, X-Brace, Wokke chips, Wokke Sphericals, PM Steer Plates, H&R Spacers, Pioneer AVIC-F60DAB + more.

1994 E34 530i
    - Calypsorot + Many mods

2008 E66 760LI V12 - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2015 F02 750LI Xdrive - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2013 E70 40d TT - Full BMW Performance Kit

2016 F06 M6 Gran Coupe Individual

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Guys,

I took advantage of Mike's Center Vent Led upgrade and I'm very satisfied. It completely transforms the dash back to its former glory. Even my wife who pays no attention to anything automotive mentioned how nice it was! Only downside is now I might have to do the led conversion for my door vents and window swiches... Never ends! Here are some pictures that don't do justice. Thanks Mike!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverMDM View Post
    Guys,

I took advantage of Mike's Center Vent Led upgrade and I'm very satisfied. It completely transforms the dash back to its former glory. Even my wife who pays no attention to anything automotive mentioned how nice it was! Only downside is now I might have to do the led conversion for my door vents and window swiches... Never ends! Here are some pictures that don't do justice. Thanks Mike!!
    Very nice! Love the lighted 6 speed knob too! Me wants that!
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverMDM View Post
    Guys,

Anytime and it was my pleasure. Glad to have contributed to that gorgeous interior. If you ever have any issues with the vent lighting, just let me know and I'll take care of it.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    911 + E31
    First time seeing this thread, very nice! I'm gonna have to do this
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Definitely worth it! I drove at night a few nights ago and my interior looked amazing!

My Cars
    Want 850
    Is that a block off plate in that second console switch location? If so, how can I get one?

Thanks,
    Tim

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Must of mis this, I have interest in this LED service, Very nice, WIll be in touch!

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    I have a unit ready to ship from a 1991 850i BMW . please advise current pricing and shipping instructions and address