Thread: E30 blower motor bearings.

My Cars
    1990 325i stock

E30 blower motor bearings.

Is there anyway to get new bearings for the blower motor or even take them out and lube them. I know it wont last that long even if you lube them but it would be worth the try.

My Cars
    1992 E30 325iC / 2004 VW Jetta 1.8t wagon
    I was losing my lowest fan speed and getting some electrical burning smell because the bearings were starting to bind. I opened up the access panel and squirted some lube in there and now they're much better. There is no way that I saw to remove the old bearings and get new ones in. Even if you could, I would say that any attempt to disassemble the fan would probably be destructive. The cages are balanced and if they get a little bent or cracked, they'll never run true again.

I think your options are either squirt some WD40 or lithium grease in there, or replace the whole fan. There's no middle ground.

--Chris

1992 325iC ... 3.25 LSD, Bilsteins, Borla. Otherwise stock.
    Mein anderes Auto ist auch deutsch.

My Cars
    87 325is
    The "smart money" is on a new OEM blower.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYT...Code=P2IDP2PCP

I have successfully dissassembled and retrofit bearings like these into two e30 fan motors. I was able to find them on the shelf at a local hardware store, but i paid twice as much for them that way. The motor shaft is 8mm or 5/16, and the 3/4"plus OD of these bearings can be pressed into the sheet metal of the factory bearing housings. Just a forewarning, this is not exactly a 1-2 on the difficulty scale, as the blower motors were not built to be serviced, and you have to mark all the parts and take photos as you take it apart or it will spin backwards when you install it. Ask me how I know. You CAN twist off the squirrel cages one at a time without breaking them, but it requires finesse. Also when you reassemble the motor, you have to insert some type of retainer wires to hold the brushes back while they clear the armature.

My Cars
    1988 325-1999 328
    i,m impressed,woooow.its amaising what you can do if you put your mind to it.

My Cars
    90 325i 01 Accord
    msservices; A tip of the hat to you. graycat

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Thank you. These motors have become ungodly expensive, and I have considered offering the repair to fellow e30 owners , but honestly, once you have the right bearings in hand, its simply a matter time (which I am lacking atm) and of course the proper tools. I would like to do my first write up (with photos) on this if the situation presents itself again.

My Cars
    87' 325iC
    Dielectric grease. There's an access hole for lubrication on the blower motor. It's not a permanent fix but it helps for a while.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by msservices View Post
    http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYT...Code=P2IDP2PCP I have successfully dissassembled and retrofit bearings like these into two e30 fan motors. I was able to find them on the shelf at a local hardware store, but i paid twice as much for them that way. The motor shaft is 8mm or 5/16, and the 3/4"plus OD of these bearings can be pressed into the sheet metal of the factory bearing housings. Just a forewarning, this is not exactly a 1-2 on the difficulty scale, as the blower motors were not built to be serviced, and you have to mark all the parts and take photos as you take it apart or it will spin backwards when you install it. Ask me how I know. You CAN twist off the squirrel cages one at a time without breaking them, but it requires finesse. Also when you reassemble the motor, you have to insert some type of retainer wires to hold the brushes back while they clear the armature.
    I know Msserivce hasn't been online since 2016, but he links to a bearing that's 3/8" ID, then says the shaft is an 8mm shaft. The linked bearing also has an OD of 7/8", and you say seat is 3/4". Is the "1ZGD4" bearing correct (R6-2RS)? My original blower had one cage come apart, so I replaced it with a junkyard blower and the bearings have begun making noise. So I figured I'd try to bearing replacement instead of looking for another used one that will just go out soon. I's just like to have the bearings ordered and arrive before I take my blower out. But if no one knows I guess I'll just have to pull it and measure myself.

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    for what they cost, just buy them and cross your fingers
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    e30s
    Equally impressed cudo's to you..sometimes doing these kind of things proves to oneselve the impossible...LOL

for the amount of time and money as suggested it is just better to buy another used motor or get a new one.
    most aftermarket places will carry the motor only and you will need to remove and install the old baskets.
    As said it takes some finesse but doable. it's cheaper when you buy only the motor.
    Last edited by Ceekers; 07-06-2018 at 08:00 AM.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i
    My 1988 325i has the original blower motor that got tight in the bearings. Tried several lube oils including Shell T10 and none worked, The bearings were still tight. The solution was SuperLube Multipurpose Synthetic Oil.(with Syncolon (PTFE ). The fan runs at full speed and low sped perfectly. After 2 years starts to make a noise and requires wetting the bearings again with Superlube.
    No need to remove the fan, Just remove the cover and oil the bearings I use a thin plastic tube to reach the bearings.

Chris