Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window mechanism broke.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9

Angry Window mechanism broke.

My window arm is broke and causes my window to not roll down or up without me helping it by pushing or pulling it. also, when it raises up. the window keeps going past were it should stop. Is there any way to fix this without getting a new door?

20140307_214951_resized_1[1].jpg

20140307_215018_resized_1[1].jpg

This is a 98 roadster 1.9l . PO didnt take car of the car very well it seems. Really makes me mad

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    The sliders probably eroded away completely and the rail got caught and twisted off the rivet.

I've seen some that were bolted back together. Would probably be easiest to do with the door on a bench instead of the car.

-Todd

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9
    There is a little bolt thing that was welded to the door and bolted to were that arm is broke. It also broke off.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    this happened to me too and the dealer first told me I needed a new door...I didn't go for it and they eventually said they can weld the bolt back on. it didn't look too pretty but it worked!

window fix 007c.jpg

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9
    Im a decent welder so if i can get my hands on a mig machine thats the way ill go. .. This sucks

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Holy bubblegum, maybe that dealer should stick with replacing whole doors.

If it broke the mount on the intrusion bar, then it likely did damage to the main bracket on the motor end of things. For your entertainment:

http://zeeasylum.com/albums/coupe-regulator/

/.randy

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    I have the assembly out of a 99 MCoupe if you need one. Double check Real OEM to make sure it fits. I'm not sure.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The coupe and roadster regulators have different part numbers. I've had both in a side-by-side comparision. The new coupe regulator has the roadster's part number stamped into it, with the coupe part number on a sticker placed over the stamping. The only physical difference I found was a minor change in the stop screw adjustment.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9
    i dont think anything other than the bolt thing broke. besides what that bolt connect to. but i should be able to bend and weld it back in shape soon enough. ill just live with the non working window for now

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    In case you need a driver's side Z3 roadster window regulator mechanism (without motor, I'm keeping that for the M Coupe) I have one available, will work on roadsters only.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9
    Thanks. within a week or so im going to try welding it. If that doesn't work ill let you know

My Cars
    z3
    I have a few whole doors. Not too interested in shipping them whole but if you need something specific out of them (other than the regulator which 328 Power so graciously offered to you) I can probably gut them and scrap the shell.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9
    Ok. Sorry, I know it has been a while since I posted this but I am to the point where I would like to buy the mechanicals of the window setup. I shouldnt need the motor but I need the arms that move etc. Thanks! You can PM me or Email would be best. Thanks again. brandonstehle@yahoo.com

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9
    bump

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    emailing now
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Z4MR, Z3MC F30
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Holy bubblegum, maybe that dealer should stick with replacing whole doors.

If it broke the mount on the intrusion bar, then it likely did damage to the main bracket on the motor end of things. For your entertainment:

http://zeeasylum.com/albums/coupe-regulator/
    That's what happened to mine, although the whole bracket was gone and the previous owner did a kluge from hell. Indy shop in the DC area fixes this issue frequently (E36's mostly). The shop fabricated one for me and welded it in.

2006 Z4M Roadster, 2002 M Coupe, 1984 533i, 2-1996 318ti's, 2013 328i M Sport
    Member and officer, ZSCCA

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    emailing now
    I emailed, let me know, sometimes it ends up in junk mail however.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    ///M s52
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but is there any adittional work to get that dreaded dimple out of my door pannel?

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    I'm bumping this thread up as I'm dealing with the same issue as the OP - broken mounting point on the window regulator and broken stud and mangled bracket on the door's intrusion bar. Here's my damage:

Buying a new regulator is the easy part. But mounting the new regulator when the stud it mounts to is gone, is a whole 'nother issue.

From this thread, I learned there are a couple ways to skin this cat:
    1) get a whole new door with attached mounting brackets
    2) try to re-weld the stud back on to the bracket, example below

3) find a donor bracket from a spare door.

Fortunately, I met SteveO at Dorkfest last year. You may recall he procured a couple spare doors when he was doing his coupe window project a while back. I contacted him and he offered to cut the bracket off his spare door. He ended up cutting the whole protrusion bar off and making a jig so I can line the bracket up on my bar. I don't weld, but I have a neighbor who does, so he's going to do it when he has spare time. I'll update the thread when it's done. But in the meantime, I just wanted to share this option, and shout out a big thanks to SteveO for taking the time to help me out.

So the question is, should I paint it Topaz Blue before I weld it on?
    Last edited by robrez; 03-14-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Adding pics

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    So the question is, should I paint it Topaz Blue before I weld it on?
    I would expect nothing less, and be disappointed if you didn't.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    The fixture is impressive__and I'm hard to please!

You can paint it if you want, but most of it will get burned off during the welding process, if it isn't ground off beforehand, to keep the paint from contaminating the weld pool.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    The fixture is impressive__and I'm hard to please!

You can paint it if you want, but most of it will get burned off during the welding process, if it isn't ground off beforehand, to keep the paint from contaminating the weld pool.
    Yes, WOW on the bracket. That had to take a while to fabricate. Must be a labor of love for a skilled fabricator.
    Clean/grind bracket and protrusion bar (as RF states) and paint the color of your choice after welding. Just put a piece of cardboard behind protrusion bar if you want to avoid overspray. May be a little tough to get the backside, but a little to protect it from rusting is better than nothing.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    ^^^ thanks, yes I'll make sure the same level of care goes into fixing it as Steve did in providing the bracket and jig.

Unfortunately I foresee a lot more cars suffering from this bracket failure in the future. It might be smart to stock up on spares.

My Cars
    98 z3 m roadster
    So what are the chances you made some spares???? IN NY dealing with the same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by buckscrape View Post
    Yes, WOW on the bracket. That had to take a while to fabricate. Must be a labor of love for a skilled fabricator.
    Clean/grind bracket and protrusion bar (as RF states) and paint the color of your choice after welding. Just put a piece of cardboard behind protrusion bar if you want to avoid overspray. May be a little tough to get the backside, but a little to protect it from rusting is better than nothing.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    On a related note, what can be done to prevent that part from failing? I know the sliders should be kept clean and greased, but beyond that, it seems like it might be helpful to reinforce that mount if it's an issue.

For those of you that have taken this apart and had a look at it, is there anything that can be done to strengthen the common failure points?

I get that this will likely just move the failure to the next weak spot in the chain, but perhaps we can improve things to the point where the chances of a future issue are minimized.
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast