Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING for DIY garage.

My Cars
    M3 coupe, M Roadster
    Awesome!!
    Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
    National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join & reference my member# 339225 for great prizes!

Join our NCC Facebook Page

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Wow nice. It is looking good.
    Make sure you put it on Google maps so people can find it easily. For example I had a hard time looking for DYI garage and could not find one.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    In due time. Right now I am writing my business plan and working with insurance. I hope I can pass this hurdle. It seems to be the show stopper currently.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey All, as I write this business plan, especially writing up the cash flow portion, this type of work is proving to be unsustainable. Unless I can keep rent at or below $2000 a month (triple net plus utilities), and have at least 5 or 6 customers using the lifts for a total of at least 5 hours each, at $20 an hour, every week and weekend, for three weeks, I'm looking at almost a grand left over (including my home mortgage), which is barely anything for rainy day fund for the shop. Now granted this is just starting up, but have to also factor in 3 or 4 months of using my business loan to keep the rent and utilities paid.

The main killer in all of this is rent, insurance, and the business loan. Plus factor in inconsistency of people coming in or people not paying to use the lift, staged slip and falls, actual injuries in the shop, possible tool theft (which was common at the DIY garages down in Sterling, VA), then the state oil recycling and disposal fee, it's not feasible. The numbers are not adding up, and I am sure I am missing a couple other things from my equation. Now granted I am going to the extreme here, but it is what I start off with and use to keep myself in check and my mind focused.

The small shop I posted up earlier, is 1793 for 3 years and 1670 for 5 years. At that rate, I'm probably going to be left with 1500 - 1600 left over for rainy day.

I will need to do something else at the shop and use the DIY function as supplemental income.
    Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M-Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M-Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
    My previous work:
    My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
    My 98 M3 and 03 530i Restoration Thread

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey All, an update. I spoke with Paul Seto earlier this week to toss the idea about, and I think I have an idea. I think I can get this to work, if everything works out, perhaps even host a clinic for our members. Further, if this partnership works out, BMW CCA members will get a discount on all work and diagnostics performed, in addition to installing parts you guys provide. I am still hashing out the details, but if I get this partnership worked out, I think it is going to do the community a REALLY good service, and, even make our plans of converting half the shop for DIY sessions. Then the DIY idea can be sustainable for the weekends (Fri - Sun).

I am still hashing out the monetary figures in the business plan, but as of right now, so far so good.

Would you all like to come to an open house once I get things finalized?
    Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M-Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M-Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Are you going to make a membership policy or just pay hourly.
    Man I can't wait, I am welling to drive all the way from Centerville to your place every weekend.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
    Hey All, an update. I spoke with Paul Seto earlier this week to toss the idea about, and I think I have an idea. I think I can get this to work, if everything works out, perhaps even host a clinic for our members. Further, if this partnership works out, BMW CCA members will get a discount on all work and diagnostics performed, in addition to installing parts you guys provide. I am still hashing out the details, but if I get this partnership worked out, I think it is going to do the community a REALLY good service, and, even make our plans of converting half the shop for DIY sessions. Then the DIY idea can be sustainable for the weekends (Fri - Sun).

I am still hashing out the monetary figures in the business plan, but as of right now, so far so good.

Would you all like to come to an open house once I get things finalized?
    Sweet! And yes!
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by zaherr View Post
    Are you going to make a membership policy or just pay hourly.
    Man I can't wait, I am welling to drive all the way from Centerville to your place every weekend.
    That I don't know yet. If I make it hourly, I can help people make sure they do their research before coming to the shop to do work on their cars. My co-worker is not enthralled with the idea, but I have another spot where I can host the DIY. My uncle is finally back in town. I've already spoken with him, got the figures worked out, but he wants freakin $1100 (still negotiating the price) a month rent. It is better than $2000 - $4000, but let's see what we can do. The spot is quaint, located in Boyd's MD, but VERY close to Black Hill Lodge and 270. And there is a lot of TARMAC to play with, just watch the cops.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

That I don't know yet. If I make it hourly, I can help people make sure they do their research before coming to the shop to do work on their cars. My co-worker is not enthralled with the idea, but I have another spot where I can host the DIY. My uncle is finally back in town. I've already spoken with him, got the figures worked out, but he wants freakin $1100 (still negotiating the price) a month rent. It is better than $2000 - $4000, but let's see what we can do. The spot is quaint, located in Boyd's MD, but VERY close to Black Hill Lodge and 270. And there is a lot of TARMAC to play with, just watch the cops.
    Cooooool I hope this works out the way you wish.
    Oh man I have a bad luck with cops lol

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Cooooool I hope this works out the way you wish.
    Oh man I have a bad luck with cops lol
    Well my goal is to provide a spot for us to hang out, work on our cars, hold mini meets, and hopefully eventually graduate to a bigger location so we can host CCA meets, store race cars if need be (for much better rates), and even have detailing bays. I want to make a one-stop shop for tires, alignments, engine work, and stuff that really gets us to be one with our cars. And better yet, affordable prices. Yeah it is a huge dream I have, but I've already invested this much time into the business concept and plan, figuring out business loans and profit margins to keep the shop afloat, so might as well use some future ideas to keep me inspired.

I'm just hoping this can happen and grow. I've gotten the insurance figured out and ready to go. Just need to execute. And find a spot to host.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

Well my goal is to provide a spot for us to hang out, work on our cars, hold mini meets, and hopefully eventually graduate to a bigger location so we can host CCA meets, store race cars if need be (for much better rates), and even have detailing bays. I want to make a one-stop shop for tires, alignments, engine work, and stuff that really gets us to be one with our cars. And better yet, affordable prices. Yeah it is a huge dream I have, but I've already invested this much time into the business concept and plan, figuring out business loans and profit margins to keep the shop afloat, so might as well use some future ideas to keep me inspired.

I'm just hoping this can happen and grow. I've gotten the insurance figured out and ready to go. Just need to execute. And find a spot to host.
    Nice. Man you have no idea how happy I am because your doing this
    It sounds very good and I am sure there are a lot of people out there who are looking for something like that.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice. Man you have no idea how happy I am because your doing this
    It sounds very good and I am sure there are a lot of people out there who are looking for something like that.
    I am sure there is plenty, but like any other business, we need income to stay afloat. One thing I didn't like seeing at the garage in Sterling were people who would complain about paying for renting the lift and tools after the customer occupied the lift for more than 3 hours. It was such a hassle. I'm sure there will be people like that on this forum that want to come by and use the lift, I just hope they understand that this is for the greater good, not just my own benefit.

By the way, how does everyone feel about coming out to Germantown to use my garage (should this deal work out)? It's not far from 270 at all. Just take the Black Hill Lake exit (way up the road towards Frederick) and you're pretty much at the garage. Or you can take the Department of Energy exit, go to Clopper road all the way up to Boyd's Negro school and then hang a right on Clarksville Road (where the lake/reservoire is) and head straight up.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    The Germantown location is actually better for me!
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I am OK with Germantown. It is 50 min away from me but I would still drive all the way there.
    BTW I live in centerville va.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Same here. It's a bit of a hike for me, but would definitely come out to work on my car with people around that probably know a lot more than I do.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I can't wait!!

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Any update?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    No update yet. I am down in Texas for a couple weeks since my dad fell ill and my brother is out of town. I will be back in town on April 30, or May 1, depending on how the weather is on April 30. I will get back on my groove once I am back in town.

Now, if this business does well, and I can expand, then I will find a bigger shop more closer to everyone (as best I can, rent prices depending).

Sorry for the long silence, but I needed to be here for my dad.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    No update yet. I am down in Texas for a couple weeks since my dad fell ill and my brother is out of town. I will be back in town on April 30, or May 1, depending on how the weather is on April 30. I will get back on my groove once I am back in town.

Now, if this business does well, and I can expand, then I will find a bigger shop more closer to everyone (as best I can, rent prices depending).

Sorry for the long silence, but I needed to be here for my dad.
    Sorry about your dad I hope that he will get better soon.

Sounds good I am waiting .

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey Guys, I will be at the CCA meet today at Allsport GP in Sterling, Va.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i

Like a club house. A couple of my friends have done this in TX, but just as a private club house to store their cars, work on them, and hang out. This sounds amazing, and I would happily pay dues for it (like a contract). Alignment machine, lift, press/pressing tools, and tire machines are what are of most value to me, since these are things that the average DIYer does not have in their garage.
    -Chris

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah, I understand. It was my focus as well. But so far I am not getting anything good in terms of rates and my uncle is not comfortable with the idea anymore, in case someone pulls a "slip and fall" then we get sued. Waivers only go so far. Negligence is too broad a legal term to use to void waivers, even the most bulletproof ones.

If this was Texas, it would be up and running by now. MD is too much a piece of sh*t state to set up any type of business. So sick of this. I mean I will keep looking but I need help in this effort. It's not easy trying to be everywhere at once to look for a site for 1700 a month and be close to the beltway at the same time. Furthermore, logistically speaking, I'd have to make close to 6K - 7K a month just to keep the shop running and compliant with the Gustapo EPA, Insurance, and State regulations/rules.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Yeah, I understand. It was my focus as well. But so far I am not getting anything good in terms of rates and my uncle is not comfortable with the idea anymore, in case someone pulls a "slip and fall" then we get sued. Waivers only go so far. Negligence is too broad a legal term to use to void waivers, even the most bulletproof ones.

If this was Texas, it would be up and running by now. MD is too much a piece of sh*t state to set up any type of business. So sick of this. I mean I will keep looking but I need help in this effort. It's not easy trying to be everywhere at once to look for a site for 1700 a month and be close to the beltway at the same time. Furthermore, logistically speaking, I'd have to make close to 6K - 7K a month just to keep the shop running and compliant with the Gustapo EPA, Insurance, and State regulations/rules.
    I can definitely understand that. Why don't you PM me -- I'd like to see where you are and see if I can provide some help.
    -Chris

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

I was so excited about the it :'(

My Cars
    00 528iT | 95 325is
    have you thought about doing it in VA?

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Luda View Post
    have you thought about doing it in VA?
    Ya good idea

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast