Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING for DIY garage.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

LOOKING for DIY garage.

I had a membership with a place called sports car shop inc here in Chantilly VA
    They had lifts, air tools, paint booth and alignment rack. Sad fully the place had to close because they were unable to get insurance.
    Now I am looking for another garage where I can work on my car on the lift...etc.

Please let me know if you know any place around Fairfax or even if it is far I may go there too. Thanks a lot

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have never personally been here but I know a few people who have.

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.ph...ur_new_garage/

I have heard it has closed down as well but I'm not 100% on this.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.yelp.com/biz/do-it-yourself-mechanics-sterling

Actually looks like it definitely did close down as well. Sucks.....

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    I have never personally been here but I know a few people who have.

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.ph...ur_new_garage/

I have heard it has closed down as well but I'm not 100% on this.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.yelp.com/biz/do-it-yourse...anics-sterling

Actually looks like it definitely did close down as well. Sucks.....
    This place is closed it was next to the one that I used to go to.
    The problem that the shop I go to is having is that the insurance company didn't agree to give him any deal on DIY because they don't know a lot about it and they don't want to take the risk.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by zaherr View Post
    This place is closed it was next to the one that I used to go to.
    The problem that the shop I go to is having is that the insurance company didn't agree to give him any deal on DIY because they don't know a lot about it and they don't want to take the risk.
    It's a bit more than that. I spoke to Scott, the owner of Sports Car Shop, and the problem was more about the shop space, tools missing, some jackasses causing a ruckus, and people leaving their cars there well over a week and not paying. The insurance was only a minor issue, but it was part of the overall problem.

The DIY garage that was right down the road from Sports Car Shop was run by Ed Cove. The problem he ran into was not insurance at all, nor was it the lack of business. He actually had a lot of business. The problem was with the landlord that wanted to get rid of the land quickly due to a divorce or whatever. Ed got screwed royally. I loved his shop way more than Sports Car Shop because it was well lit, clean, all tools were there, a TV to watch F1 or WRC... man. I really miss that place a ton.

As far as any other DIY garages, there was one in MD, Glen Burnie area. I wanted to go visit there but more than a few people told me to not even bother because it was in a sketchy area, run by sketchy people, and definitely not a place where you'd want to keep your car overnight. There was a similar place in Laurel, MD, but I haven't heard anything good about that place either. I couldn't find the place to see for myself, so as far as I am concerned, it doesn't exist.
    Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M-Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M-Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
    My previous work:
    My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
    My 98 M3 and 03 530i Restoration Thread

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryN View Post

It's a bit more than that. I spoke to Scott, the owner of Sports Car Shop, and the problem was more about the shop space, tools missing, some jackasses causing a ruckus, and people leaving their cars there well over a week and not paying. The insurance was only a minor issue, but it was part of the overall problem.

The DIY garage that was right down the road from Sports Car Shop was run by Ed Cove. The problem he ran into was not insurance at all, nor was it the lack of business. He actually had a lot of business. The problem was with the landlord that wanted to get rid of the land quickly due to a divorce or whatever. Ed got screwed royally. I loved his shop way more than Sports Car Shop because it was well lit, clean, all tools were there, a TV to watch F1 or WRC... man. I really miss that place a ton.

As far as any other DIY garages, there was one in MD, Glen Burnie area. I wanted to go visit there but more than a few people told me to not even bother because it was in a sketchy area, run by sketchy people, and definitely not a place where you'd want to keep your car overnight. There was a similar place in Laurel, MD, but I haven't heard anything good about that place either. I couldn't find the place to see for myself, so as far as I am concerned, it doesn't exist.
    Well keep me updated if you ever found one.

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Im looking for a place as well.. RTAB bushings among other things..

My Cars
    2005 325iT
    I'd be curious about a DIY spot as well, the closer to Bmore the better, but anywhere in the DC metro is doable...
    Rob

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I may open a spot myself. With lifts, compressed air, plenty of lighting, but limit on tools. It will be in Gaithersburg, MD, near boyds and definitely close to 270 (get off on the exit to Sugarloaf Mountain/Black Hill Lodge). He has a 3 car garage barn with lifts that would be perfect. I was going to keep this specific to Audi, Porsche, and BMW CCA members only because I don't want too much traffic coming in yet until I see how successful the idea becomes here, and then open a bigger place in the future.
    Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M-Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M-Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I may open a spot myself. With lifts, compressed air, plenty of lighting, but limit on tools. It will be in Gaithersburg, MD, near boyds and definitely close to 270 (get off on the exit to Sugarloaf Mountain/Black Hill Lodge). He has a 3 car garage barn with lifts that would be perfect. I was going to keep this specific to Audi, Porsche, and BMW CCA members only because I don't want too much traffic coming in yet until I see how successful the idea becomes here, and then open a bigger place in the future.
    Good idea
    I was paying $21 per month for a one year contract. There is an additional fee for lifts and level 2 tools

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Good idea
    I was paying $21 per month for a one year contract. There is an additional fee for lifts and level 2 tools
    Nah, I am not going to do that stuff. I would only charge for using specialty tools. But simple tools like a tire balancer, tire machine, air tools would all have the same fee as renting a lift. Though seeing as much theft that happened at the Sports Car Garage for simple tools, I may have to find a way to make people bring their own tools and only supply car specialty tools (IE VANOS tools).

I'll keep people updated if there is enough interest for me to provide a spot for our community.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

Nah, I am not going to do that stuff. I would only charge for using specialty tools. But simple tools like a tire balancer, tire machine, air tools would all have the same fee as renting a lift. Though seeing as much theft that happened at the Sports Car Garage for simple tools, I may have to find a way to make people bring their own tools and only supply car specialty tools (IE VANOS tools).

I'll keep people updated if there is enough interest for me to provide a spot for our community.
    Yes please.

My Cars
    2005 325iT
    My $.02: I'd be fine bringing my own [small] tools wherever if there was a level floor and a lift waiting for me for a nominal cost; if I needed something fancy (specialized tools, air tools, etc) I'd be fine making my own arrangements; if I needed a welder or wheel balancer or alignment or something, I'd be going to a real deal shop.
    Rob

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    My $.02: I'd be fine bringing my own [small] tools wherever if there was a level floor and a lift waiting for me for a nominal cost; if I needed something fancy (specialized tools, air tools, etc) I'd be fine making my own arrangements; if I needed a welder or wheel balancer or alignment or something, I'd be going to a real deal shop.
    I did my alignment, change tires and wheel balance on my 740il for less than a $100.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I did my alignment, change tires and wheel balance on my 740il for less than a $100.
    Well yeah. What I was getting at was I am not charging extra for use of regular equipment such as tire changer or wheel balancing machine.

Anyways, just an update, My uncle says we can use his garage if I can get enough interest. Then I can start paying him rent to keep the place open and hopefully expand it. When I'm ready to start a pilot program soon, I'll let y'all now. I just need to start building interest in the community now.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Anyways, just an update, My uncle says we can use his garage if I can get enough interest. Then I can start paying him rent to keep the place open and hopefully expand it. When I'm ready to start a pilot program soon, I'll let y'all now. I just need to start building interest in the community now.
    Coooool
    Yes please.
    Thanks

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    The community is interested I am a CCA member. Please add me to your notification lists when you get started!.

Hugh

My Cars
    1995 318i vert
    Very interested, I'm in central maryland. Like the guy above add me to the list of notifications

Thanks.

Instagram: Tmansland
    Tumblr: http://tmansland.tumblr.com

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Awesome. This is good. I am also looking at a garage in Silver Spring, right by the beltway, off of Brookville road. It is on 2739-E Garfield Ave, Silver Spring, MD if you want to go take a look at it. My buddy Sunny from Road and Track Motorsports is right across from there if you want to see some really awesome classic cars. My only issue with this location is the insurance and rent there is disgustingly expensive ($1600 alone for only 980 sq ft!!). But we'll see. My uncle is out of town until next week. I am negotiating with him on rent and utilities. I'll let you guys know once I hear back from him. The only other thing he is concerned about is people making a mess with fluids (orgasms after a successful new head gasket install is acceptable). I'll hash everything out with him. I am going to buy some oil receptacles and such if everything pans out. plus I need to get back to testing an idea to make block coolant drains more easier to do, and less messy. His shop will allow me time to do my testing.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    I would be highly Interested.. I have garage space but crawling on my back gets old fast and I hate bugging friends to throw my car on a lift.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey all, I am going to be heading out with Compactive to take a look at the lot in Silver Spring by the Beltway and I hope to get his opinion on anything he finds. We're planning on heading out next weekend to take a look at the property. If anyone else is interested in meeting up and going to take a look, let me know. Again, this is something I hope to set up with the community so I can better serve everyone. Any and all inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I am not looking to please everybody, but I hope to make doing DIY projects a lot easier for everyone.

Cheers!
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey All, an update. I spoke with the realtor today, and it looks like things may be in motion soon. I have a mechanic ready for the space as well. I'm elated that this may come to fruition. I am still working out the logistics and how long it can be sustained. I am hoping if business is good, I won't have to change the prices at all as years go by. Maybe 1 every 5 years or something weird.

However, I am more worried about insurance. That may kill this venture altogether. I figure if my mechanic buddy is working on cars during the day and then I open the shop up for DIY stuff after close of business, it can work, especially on weekends.

I'll keep y'all posted. The good news is the compressor, lifts, air, and electricity will be ready to go.
    My previous work:

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Hey All, an update. I spoke with the realtor today, and it looks like things may be in motion soon. I have a mechanic ready for the space as well. I'm elated that this may come to fruition. I am still working out the logistics and how long it can be sustained. I am hoping if business is good, I won't have to change the prices at all as years go by. Maybe 1 every 5 years or something weird.

However, I am more worried about insurance. That may kill this venture altogether. I figure if my mechanic buddy is working on cars during the day and then I open the shop up for DIY stuff after close of business, it can work, especially on weekends.

I'll keep y'all posted. The good news is the compressor, lifts, air, and electricity will be ready to go.
    Coooool
    Thanks for the update.

My Cars
    M3 coupe, M Roadster
    So true. I can't even imagine what those premiums would be, but whatever you do, make sure that you're covered. Maybe talk to a few repair/body shops to get an idea of what they pay and who they use. I've been to people's personal garages that make me sign a waiver before I even drive in, so you need to make sure that liabilities are covered.

When we set up our DIYs for CCA, almost everyone brings up liability as a reason to not host our event. Luckily our $10M policy helps, but it's still a difficult hurdle to overcome.

Good luck Harry, we're all pulling for this!
    Last edited by pseto; 04-07-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
    National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join & reference my member# 339225 for great prizes!

Join our NCC Facebook Page

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Awesome, I wonder if you could have an attorney draft an iron clad liability waiver?
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey Paul, thanks for the kind words man. I'm working on the business plan right now and shopping around for insurance. Currently I am looking into Erie Insurance (whom are being the most useful and helpful right now). We're working out the liability coverage, shop coverage, measuring the office area, definitely a feat.

But here are some picture so you can gauge how serious I am:

I can fit about 3 lifts inside if I angle them properly. I've already got the lifts taken care of, air compressor, air lines, oil recycling tank, most tools (yes, including a coolant flushing system to make our lives easier), most air tools, but I still need to collect more. The shop is going to cater to Audi, BMW, VW, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz primarily with the tools I am collecting currently. But primarily BMW. I'm hoping the BMW CCA can use my shop for their DIY instructions as well and obviously there will be special pricing for us once things get off the ground.

I'll post some more updates as they come. Compactive and I are going to discuss some more ideas as well.
    My previous work:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast