Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 99 E36 M3 LSx Build

My Cars
    02 M3
    I'm not sure how I feel about this... While your work is nothing short of perfection, why not just buy a perfect shell? You are clearly not learning as you're going unless you pick up on skills extremely fast. It seems to me like you could have enjoyed the car a year or two ago if you just had bought a clean car from the beginning. Just my 2¢.

Keep on keeping on, can't wait until it's done! I'll probably be starting a be build myself by then :P

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this... While your work is nothing short of perfection, why not just buy a perfect shell? You are clearly not learning as you're going unless you pick up on skills extremely fast. It seems to me like you could have enjoyed the car a year or two ago if you just had bought a clean car from the beginning. Just my 2¢.

Keep on keeping on, can't wait until it's done! I'll probably be starting a be build myself by then :P
    If you read the thread that's exactly what he did - sold a 325 for a cleaner M3. Unfortunate some hidden issues popped up (or perhaps he got a better deal because of them) but you can't improve your skills without practice and you can always get better. Maybe he enjoys doing it too. Clearly OP is very capable, and if anything it's fun for US to see/learn from a distance!
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VR92 View Post
    What is this diff cover from?
    rogue engineering

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBodyRacing View Post
    Great work. absolute perfection when it comes to not cutting corners and having attention to detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    Man, you are doing such a killer job with all of this! love it!
    Thanks gents I really appreciate it, trying my best

Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post

I bought the car thinking it was clean (clean carfax, looked nice in person, etc) but discovered issues after I had already torn into it. You're right though - have I spent way more time on this than necessary? Yes. But this was never about slapping a car together as quickly as possible, I wanted to build the best car I was capable of building. That process involved taking the opportunity to learn about machining, welding, engine building, paint / bodywork, fabrication, and a bunch of other things I've always been interested in. The process also involved making MISTAKES - namely with project scope. For a first major project, probably not the greatest of ideas to strip a car down to the unibody and seam weld it, among other things. If I were to do it over again now with the experience I've gained I would manage that much more carefully, but this is where I'm at with it and the only option I've got is to plow forward and continue on.

Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    If you read the thread that's exactly what he did - sold a 325 for a cleaner M3. Unfortunate some hidden issues popped up (or perhaps he got a better deal because of them) but you can't improve your skills without practice and you can always get better. Maybe he enjoys doing it too. Clearly OP is very capable, and if anything it's fun for US to see/learn from a distance!
    Absolutely true - some guys are born gifted but the rest of us have to work at stuff. There's things I was interested in learning, so I took the time to get after it. Through that process, the project became less about the car and more about an investment in myself. Regardless of where the car ends up in years to come I will have accumulated experience that I can take with me for the rest of my life. I encourage anyone interested in that aspect to dive in and give it a shot, that's what my thread is here in an attempt to encourage in any small way that I can.

My Cars
    325i, 530i, F250
    Well said. How you spend your time and your money is YOUR choice. I sure as hell didnt start building my car because I needed validation from other people. Keep it up!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    awesome build so far! I would be interested in LS swap parts, like mounting kit and such. In for more progress

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    Cool to see 3 years worth of build thread held ransom by photobucket. Looks like a lot of other guys on here are affected too.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Photobucket: I see my thread has many of the blocked images as I use Photobucket as well.

So is there another option?

We know much info will be lost as not all will update the images...

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Photobucket: I see my thread has many of the blocked images as I use Photobucket as well.

So is there another option?

We know much info will be lost as not all will update the images...
    I have no idea. Short of reuploading them to another image host and manually going back through all your posts and fixing all the links / hoping you're relinking to the correct pictures I'm not sure what you could do. I may attempt to rebuild this thread but am not sure I really have the time or the patience as there are hundreds of pictures.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789