Thread: what are some of the common problems with the new E63/64?

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C

what are some of the common problems with the new E63/64?

just wondering what are some of the common problems owners are seeing with their E63/64? Any particular production dates that seem problematic?

My Cars
    E-ballin
    kinda hard to tell, the car is pretty new.

My Cars
    '83 633csi
    And most of the people in this 6er forum are E24 guys, and theres nothing wrong with that, we are just kinda uninformed and havent done too much research on the new car. Its more based off of the newest 5 series, or the old 8 series, im not sure. But if theres problems with them then its most likely they could happen on the new 6er.

-Jeff
    1983 633csi a.k.a. Wolfie - M30B35 Swap - Getrag 265 - 3.73LSD

My Cars
    Alpine White 2008 M5

Smile Based off of the 7 not the 5

I would love to read the source that you guys reference that the 6er is based off of the 5... This is not true from my readings but no big deal cause I own and drive the new 6er and love every minute of it.

The issues that exist in the 5 are similar to the coupe 6er (e63)
    There are a few issues that plague the e63 and e64.

Since it late and I am tired, I will log on tomorrow and share some details if you are interested...

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
    2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
    2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li

2010 Alpine White, GT550i

My Cars
    I thought the E63 was based off the Z9 concept from a few years back? Certainly looks a lot more like the Z9 than the new E60 5 series

My Cars
    Alpine White 2008 M5

Cool Yes

The 7 Series then the 6 Series.

You got it man!

GMAN

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelton
    The issues that exist in the 5 are similar to the coupe 6er (e63)
    There are a few issues that plague the e63 and e64.

Since it late and I am tired, I will log on tomorrow and share some details if you are interested...

GMAN
    I am interested... please share...

My Cars
    Alpine White 2008 M5

Wink Issues That Exist in the e63/e64

First, these issues share are experiences from real owners of the current 6 Series 645ci/Cic and the 650i (Both Coupe & Vert). I have owned the 645Cic and now I own the 650i (Convertible).

Issues:

iDrive software corruption:(typically) If there were issues when the buyer picked up the vehicle even with updates or re-installs iDrive issues seem to remain; different issues but issues non the less. This issue seems to affect a small population of owners (2 out of every 20) from my analysis.

[iDrive] issues are described as intermittent reboots, longer than normal boot-up, and the interface not allowing the drive to go into menu areas.

{All described issues are resolved by the latest software update}

Drive-train issues: The transmission will idle high and or jerk when gear change is required. The jerk occured mostly in SMG transmissions. Step would achieve a slight jerk but nothing uncommon with automatic gear changing.

{To resolve these issues, an update or reprogramming of the EMS/DME will be required.}

iDrive Died: The iDrive system no longer displays [Work]. The car runs but there is no interaction with iDrive.

{iDrive computer (internal) will need to be replaced and programmed.}

Key Fob Loosing Memory: There has been cases where radio, SAT and other entertainment functionality is forgotton from the last time the driver was in the car [24 hours later].

{Computer subsystem in control of the Entertainment function requires reprogramming and the issue is resolved}
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Sure there are anomalies like computer fault messages, Run-Flat-Tyre becomes flat, car fluids low -- oil, power steering, window washer, tyre pressure-- Convertible movement failure in Texas "Must be the Heat" because I have not heard this happening anywhere else.

I believe this sums up the issues. Everything else works like it should; Pure BMW driving pleasure. I hope this helps the curious folks out.

GMAN

My Cars
    650i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
    First, these issues share are experiences from real owners of the current 6 Series 645ci/Cic and the 650i (Both Coupe & Vert). I have owned the 645Cic and now I own the 650i (Convertible).

Issues:

iDrive software corruption:(typically) If there were issues when the buyer picked up the vehicle even with updates or re-installs iDrive issues seem to remain; different issues but issues non the less. This issue seems to affect a small population of owners (2 out of every 20) from my analysis.

[iDrive] issues are described as intermittent reboots, longer than normal boot-up, and the interface not allowing the drive to go into menu areas.

{All described issues are resolved by the latest software update}

Drive-train issues: The transmission will idle high and or jerk when gear change is required. The jerk occured mostly in SMG transmissions. Step would achieve a slight jerk but nothing uncommon with automatic gear changing.

{To resolve these issues, an update or reprogramming of the EMS/DME will be required.}

iDrive Died: The iDrive system no longer displays [Work]. The car runs but there is no interaction with iDrive.

{iDrive computer (internal) will need to be replaced and programmed.}

Key Fob Loosing Memory: There has been cases where radio, SAT and other entertainment functionality is forgotton from the last time the driver was in the car [24 hours later].

{Computer subsystem in control of the Entertainment function requires reprogramming and the issue is resolved}
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Sure there are anomalies like computer fault messages, Run-Flat-Tyre becomes flat, car fluids low -- oil, power steering, window washer, tyre pressure-- Convertible movement failure in Texas "Must be the Heat" because I have not heard this happening anywhere else.

I believe this sums up the issues. Everything else works like it should; Pure BMW driving pleasure. I hope this helps the curious folks out.

GMAN
    any recommendations for a extended warranty to cover any future costly repairs? i live in ca if that helps.
    thanks