Thread: Tranny chattering w/ stock flywheel?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Tranny chattering w/ stock flywheel?

Is it possible for a transmission to chatter with a stock clutch/flywheel setup? I have very recently changed to Redline MT-90 in there, and I noticed today some ticking or chattering from around the gearbox area. I heard before I shut off the car after driving for a while.

So is this possible? If not, what sort of things should I be worrying about?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    bump?

My Cars
    1996 M3/2
    Yes, I had a new clutch installed with the stock flywheel and it chatters pretty loud when hot. (ie: after a hard run) I've used Mobil 1 ATF and now use Redline MTL. Both chatter. >>>Mat
    1996 Alpine White M3/2
    AA S/C---Gone, but not forgotten!
    H&R Race, Bilsteins, B&B Triflo, Porterfield R4S, Denso IK-22, Powerflex RTAB's

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    Clutch chatter or transmission rattle? Two independant problems/issues.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

My Cars
    04 325i,11 JGC,59 bug
    Maybe your TME's are improperly tourqed?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I don't know if it's chatter or transmission rattle. The TME's have been on there for quite some time, and I've never had any problems or noises like this before. Yesterday was pretty much the first time my car had been driven pretty hard in very warm weather with the new transmission fluid in there. That's why I tend to think it's chatter.

Is there any easy way to determine which one it is... chatter or transmission rattle?

My Cars
    98 M3/4 Titanium Silver
    my 95 //M has the same symptoms ..

chatter when idle after driven hard ..

just replaced the clutch -- and the chatter was SIGNIFICANTLY reduced because the throwout bearing needed to be replaced.

.. but its still there ..

.. also while accelerating, the car sounds like a diesel ... anyone know what i'm talking about -- i'm thinking this 95 was the wrong choice of //M to get .. i might sell it .. and then buy a 97 or 98 //M ..

-- ricardo

My Cars
    '06 RX-8, '06 MX-5, '04 GTI 1.8T
    If the car is in neutral, does it rattle when the clutch is in our out? If it rattles when the clutch is in, it's probably the throwout bearing. If it rattles when the clutch is out, it's acting like a lightweight flywheel and I'm not really sure what is wrong.

Good luck finding out what it is.
    Thomas / 97 M3 Sedan SOLD!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    It was actually rattling regardless of the clutch position. The chatter didn't change at all (in pitch or intensity) when I depressed/released the clutch. I also tried putting it in gear, and no change. Does that point to a certain prognosis?

My Cars
    '06 RX-8, '06 MX-5, '04 GTI 1.8T
    I'm sorry, I'm a little stumped. Just try to isolate the sound as much as possible, make sure it's not coming from the engine bay or something. Good luck, and I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Thomas / 97 M3 Sedan SOLD!