Thread: Manual Fan clutch switch addition

Manual Fan clutch switch addition

Howdy folks,

Trying to steal 5-8hp from the stupid engine fan, I am contemplating adding a serially connected switch (extended to the cabin) that enables or disables the stock fan clutch that is engine driven.

My point is that when I run a 10 minute race or 1.45sec AutoX I do not worry about engine overheating.

I have already removed my all my A/C related components and the radiator is much cooler than before.

I do want to switch on (enable) the fan clutch on the cool down lap , at the pits and during the trip to and from the track.

Has anyone done it ? I dont want to do the -even better- BML racer solution that removes the fan and fan clutch since I live in the sunny Mediteranian.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vlasis
    fstbmwm3@yahoo.com
    http://home.talkcity.com/ThePits/vlasis/index.html
    E36 M3 1995 Avus Blau
    Euro HFM, Bored Throttle body, 24#/hr injectors, Schrick cams,Cone filter in custom heatshield,lightweight flywheel, 3.2l Euro M3 clutch set, 80C thermostat, 3.23 diff w/ 40% lock, SS Euro sized headers, SS muffler and all plumbing, Dr. Gas X-Box, cat bypass, H&R race springs, Koni adjustables, Motorsport front and rear strut bars, Schnitcher-Eibach f&r sway bars, camber plates, floating rotors, spacers,UUC trans mounts, Powerflex bushings everywhere and 300 pounds less junk.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Uhhhh, maybe you're confussed about how the fan clutch works. It's not an electrical clutch like an A/C compressor. There's no way to turn it on/off. There is fluid inside the fan clutch that lets the fan slip above a certain RPM/airflow.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Touring Car, 2004 Dodge Ram

Remove the fan clutch...

I'd suggest removing the fan clutch, and going for an electric fan hooked up to a thermostat.

This is another of the essentially *no brainer* upgrades we recommend for dedicated track cars.

Pat
    Specializing in High Performance European Motorsports.

www.teutonic.ca

Are there bolt on radiator electrical fans ?
    fstbmwm3@yahoo.com
    http://home.talkcity.com/ThePits/vlasis/index.html
    E36 M3 1995 Avus Blau
    Euro HFM, Bored Throttle body, 24#/hr injectors, Schrick cams,Cone filter in custom heatshield,lightweight flywheel, 3.2l Euro M3 clutch set, 80C thermostat, 3.23 diff w/ 40% lock, SS Euro sized headers, SS muffler and all plumbing, Dr. Gas X-Box, cat bypass, H&R race springs, Koni adjustables, Motorsport front and rear strut bars, Schnitcher-Eibach f&r sway bars, camber plates, floating rotors, spacers,UUC trans mounts, Powerflex bushings everywhere and 300 pounds less junk.

yes. Look for the straight-blade Spal 16" thin fan for $80.

My Cars
    8 Wheels, 12 Cylinders
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rbirkz/E3...an_Install.htm

Nice writeup on how to do it all...Some feel its overkill...For me, considering I'm moving to a hot environment I'm going for as much cooling overkill as possible.

EDIT - Here's another...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=18949
    Last edited by JasonJ75; 01-24-2002 at 02:03 PM.
    '87 325is - 220k
    '93 325i - 161k
    '05 G35 Sedan 6MT

RIP - '98 M3/4 66k - RIP

Originally posted by bimmer95
    There is fluid inside the fan clutch that lets the fan slip above a certain RPM/airflow.
    Does the M3 have a viscous fan the same as the rest of them? I thought it was temperature related, not RPM related...

I couldn't work out how spinning a freewheeling(ish) viscous fan could eat 8 horses... (or am I off the mark totally?)

it doesn't exactly freewheel when hot. try it yourself, then think about spinning it at 7000 rpm.

Originally posted by fourfa
    it doesn't exactly freewheel when hot. try it yourself, then think about spinning it at 7000 rpm.
    Shouldn't you have put a disclaimer about sticking fingers in it when spinning?

I'll have to try taking it off and going for a spin one day, see if I can notice the difference - I did some research, for about £100UKP I can pick up a 13" fan, adjustable stat and relay kit. My 325i doesn't have an aux fan, so I can't use that...

Jon

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Touring Car, 2004 Dodge Ram
    Actually, at engine idle it's not *too* bad to stick your fingers in and stop the fan.

The clutch is a pretty slick mechanism; I've done this a few times (accidental at first....then realized it's a good way to freak out newbies to the shop...).

I must admit, I haven't tried this at 7000 RPM, but then again, I'm reluctant to run my engine at redline with no load on it anyway.

Pat
    Specializing in High Performance European Motorsports.

www.teutonic.ca

Originally posted by Bad-Karma
    Actually, at engine idle it's not *too* bad to stick your fingers in and stop the fan.
    I've chewed up magazines when I was trying to work out what was whistling when the engine was hot - I didn't want to risk broken fingers

I'm starting to wonder how much stiffer it gets with age. My fan clutch with 60,000 miles is pretty hard to hold back when hot.