Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing "Coupie", newly acquired Estoril S52 Coupe

My Cars
    36 Cylinders

Introducing "Coupie", newly acquired Estoril S52 Coupe

Sorry for the length of this, but every M Coupe deserves an introduction to its forum friends.

So I finally did it, got our very own Coupe.

At the time when I was about to start an Auto-to-Manual conversion on the Alpine White Z3, a Z3M Coupe showed up to my wife's and my liking. It was either a Coupe, or the project would go on. It's her favorite BMW model of all time, so we bought it, on her name; and now we have a female owner of Z3M Coupe (there shouldn't be too many of those in the world, I don't suspect). She is very good at driving manual (including last 3 years of practice all over Europe), and has had track time, so it's in good hands.

Anyways, it is an Estoril Blue S52 with the Dark Beige Oregon interior, and a sunroof. That color combo REALLY grew on me, and I'm glad it's not the usual Blue/Black, as the AW Z3 Is blue interior. Estoril blue is an amazing color, I can see "mpire's" obsession with it.
    Here she is on day 1, just arriving to its temporary location where it got a spa treatment and a refresh, as I do to all my cars. It is at my father's machine shop, where I have all the tools, and a lift.

I apologize for a cell phone picture, but when the weather gets better, I will take out the SLR and snap some nice ones of it.

EDIT: Finally New pictures!

I got it pretty much stock. I did a 1.5 hour inspection of the car at time of purchase, with INPA, put on a lift, and even pulled a spark plug. No issues at the rear subframe.

I got the fun opportunity of doing the following to it as part of an obsessive refresh, so far, in order:

-Front joints/control arms, sway links, tie rods, and offset solid bushings (maybe a little too much + caster; might go to centered)
    -Installed H&R Sport springs, on Bilstein Sport struts/shocks and UUC SPC Camber plates (OK for now)
    -Valve cover gasket, Oil filter housing gasket (pretty much necessary on ALL used BMWs now)
    -Rebuilt the shifter mechanism (shift joint, selector shaft seal, delrin arm bushing, new rear bushing, etc) with all the new parts I had for the Auto-to-Manual cancelled project
    -New ZHP weighed shifter, and leather boot Compliments of Z3speed4me Ken's RIP turbo Estoril M Coupe (IT LIVES ON)
    -Door handle trim with seal on both sides, new OEM
    -Cleaned seat connectors and cleared the airbag light with INPA
    -New NGK Platinum spark plugs
    -Compression test: 170+-2 psi across all 6 cyl
    -New gas cap seal
    -New tensioner pulleys, and new belts
    -Replaced 2 faulty fuel injectors (loose metal tip, leaked a little)
    -Rebuilt all 6 fuel injectors with new O rings, new micro filters, and new pintle caps

Plans for the future:

-Transmission shift pin service, as soon as I can get a CNC available to make the tools to hammer in the caps
    -Drop oil pan and wire reinforce the Oil Pump Nut, possibly refresh oil pump/pickup tube
    -Rear carrier bushings (in polyurethane)
    -Rear CV Joints on output shafts, clean and repack with fresh grease
    -Shark Injector, M50 Manifold, some sort of intake
    -Refresh and repair glove box sag
    -Install newly acquired OEM E36 BMW Keyless/Alarm, and remove the aftermarket one
    -Touchup paint (www.automotivetouchup.com)
    -Some track time

M Coupe Impressions:

I have never driven an M Coupe before, but have a Z3 with many mods. The M Coupe is a total different beast when it comes to handling. It really feels precise and amazing. The chassis rigidity is amazing. The S52 is very strong, but I will definitely do some mods to it to try to get it to about 300 crank hp. I have distant plans of importing an S50B32 from Germany or Britain, so we'll see which of the 3 BMW's would get it. The car is well on its way of becoming perfect, as I am very picky about maintenance and car's quality.

OH... and on day 4 I already had people pull up and offer me money to buy the M Coupe. Crazy world, you can't have it.

Having said all this, I cannot get myself to get rid of any of the other BMWs we own, so I think we'll keep the 4 cars for just us 2. I couldn't bear parting with any of them... including the VW, which even though I dislike, it keeps the miles off the BMWs, and saves me $50 a week in fuel ($2000+ a year!)... it's an 'enabler'... it enables you to have many nicer cars and keep them nice. Mandatory lineup picture coming up soon.

I like these cars so much that instead of studying for the US Medical Licensing Exams coming up (and residency applications in September '14) I'm usually tinkering on the cars. Gotta lay down the hobby.

FOR SALE: somewhat complete Z3/E36 auto to manual kit: ZF transmission, E36 328 flywheel with clutch, pedals, and a bunch of random related parts.

SHORT VERSION:

Welcome new M Coupe, Estoril/Dark Beige Oregon leather, S52.

Named "Coupie", wife owns it.

Lots and lots of obsessive maintenance, drives amazing.

As a roadster lover, Z3 M Coupes are probably a little more amazing.

Thanks for your time and attention.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-01-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    Nice color!! Congrats!!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C

Congrats on the Coupe

I also drove a Z3 roadster for six years before acquiring my coupe and agree they are completely different cars. Maybe it's the difference in miles, but my roadster seems more refined and smooth while the coupe is a hard riding beast.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Congrats, that is definitely a winning color combination. I'd bet it is pretty rare too. I like the blacked our grills/gills, the wheels look refinished and definitely are not hyper silver.

You are Baylor Med? I ask because I'm at UTSW.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Awesome pick up from another DBO interior owner.

Need moar pictures.

Did you already acquire an OEM alarm? If not I'm making plug and play options for our cars that can offer more features
    Last edited by robb1887; 02-25-2014 at 07:41 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    Congrats, that is definitely a winning color combination. I'd bet it is pretty rare too. I like the blacked our grills/gills, the wheels look refinished and definitely are not hyper silver.

You are Baylor Med? I ask because I'm at UTSW.
    Thanks! The wheels have been Plastidipped in silver... haven't had the time to look under, but once I get tired of that, they will probably get refinished.

I did med school in Europe, for the huge cost savings (I'm loan free right now vs. average $160,000 + in debt), and graduated last July, fully licensed in all the EU in October. The basics in medicine are the same everywhere, and I got a taste of how medicine is practiced without having insanely bloated wasteful practice. I've been in the medical field for nearly 10 years here in Houston, been working at the same hospital since 2005, even through school, I flew back in breaks and worked as much as I could. Got to know many great people, so I will just pay the favors forward in the future. Looking to get into anesthesia, hopefully.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    Awesome pick up.

Need moar pictures.

Did you already acquire an OEM alarm? If not I'm making plug and play options for our cars that can offer more features
    Yes, the brain, speaker, and harness arrived today, and the remote is on its way. Sorry, just a little too late. The aftermarket alarm that is installed in the M Coupe is not great: doesn't double lock the doors, can pull the inside handle, opening the door, and no alarm goes off; can set the alarm while driving .... just odd.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 02-25-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    FYI estoril over dbo is 1 of 62

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Are all dark beige oregon interiors teamed with a black upper interior, meaning pillars and headliner? I think it looks splendid having the black headliner (although wanting to sag; Alcantara to the rescue!) with the nearly brown leather seats.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 Mshoe

My Cars
    AT-AT
    Welcome to the coupe family.
    The search box is awesome..try it!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Thanks everyone!

Just curious, since mine doesn't have a middle gauge, where the usual Voltmeter went. Has anyone added a VDO Outside temperature gauge to that location, and was able to use the chrome trim ring, to add on to this:
    What about interior light color matching?

http://www.vdo-gauges.com/instrument...rness-12v.html

I know the S54 Z3M have an outside temp gauge, but in grey.

Either that, or an oil pressure gauge in that spot.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I'd probably opt for the oil pressure gauge. My phone tells me close enough of outside air temps.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Looks great!!!!
    Congrats!!!!

General consensus for more power:
    If you want close to 300hp don't waste your money on NA mods.
    Find a used supercharger or turbo that will get you 300hp or more.

I have wasted my money with NA mods on two M cars and kick myself for it on a regular basis.

Seriously, do some research for more power

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Cool! Congratulations, I'm hoping to iron out the actual pricing/purchase details on "my" EB ///M Coupe this weekend; it's been here almost a month, and I'm afraid if I don't give Jen some money for it, she might change her mind and want it back__before I can hide it, that is...

It's recent__since 2005 anyway__history is here:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8#post27345488

As for the S-50B32 swap, I strongly recommend you discuss this in depth with anyone who's done it IN THIS COUNTRY, as you'll get precious little support, and most agree it isn't worth the trouble. Far, far easier to find a salvage S-54 engine (with higher specific output) and swap that in with over the counter &/or aftermarket parts.

If you want anything more than a token bump in streetable horsepower for the S-52, skip straight into forced induction; most cost-effective way to get a meaningful boost in useable power. Sure, a NA S-52 can be built to exceed 300 bhp, but it'll be too peaky on the street, and won't have the linearity that makes these cars so satisfying__and fun__on the street. People are always unloading forced induction systems (look for COMPLETE setups, unless you already REALLY KNOW your crap); I might even be ready to put a twinscrew on something by the time you're ready...
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 02-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    2k M Coupe
    Looks Great ! and familiar.... I have your twin....

IMG-20120219-001142-1-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dcrothers View Post
    General consensus for more power:
    If you want close to 300hp don't waste your money on NA mods.
    Find a used supercharger or turbo that will get you 300hp or more.

I have wasted my money with NA mods on two M cars and kick myself for it on a regular basis.

Seriously, do some research for more power
    +1 dont wast your $$ on shark software and CIA intake etc. will not get you any significant HP increase. I went that road first also...

then went with a stage 1 AA supercharger... well with the $$ great new power, but still feels very OEM. I am very happy with the stage 1 power, but with out an intercooler, in the summer, the heat soak is an issue, so im sure in Houston it will be too. I'm sure i will be moving to a stage 2 for the intercooler needs, but happy with the stage 1 power.

DSCN4064.jpg

Welcome!

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I might even be ready to put a twinscrew on something by the time you're ready...
    I sell 328 POWER my setup when your ready... should keep it in Florida where it belongs

Brian
    Last edited by MiamiZ3MC; 02-26-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Active HKS Stage 1 S/Crrrrr: m50 intake: Euro Oil Cooler: AA Exhaust: H&R/Bilstien

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Well apparently I'm easy to convince... especially when there's Randy Forbes involved in advice giving.

I'll take it easy on the hp mods for now, and save for boost. I already have a spare M50 manifold (consequence of having multiple E36's), so that and software will be very inexpensive ~15-25hp. Either way, most of my efforts have gone into making this car perfect in terms of maintenance, and now interior quality...

I'm going to be using PlastAID (similar to Plastex products, cheaper) to rebuild whatever cracks, tabs, and flaws I find in the sagging glovebox and other interior plastics. Anyone else go this route?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiZ3MC View Post

I sell 328 POWER my setup when your ready... should keep it in Florida where it belongs

Brian
    Seriously though, if you do think of selling the AA kit, I'd be glad to buy it, if reasonable. I can do my own fabrications, intercooler-ing, and pulleys for it. The joys of having access to metalworking in an almost unlimited amount. I love my father.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    ... "my" EB ///M Coupe ...
    Is that "my" as in "my wife's"? Or did she not take it yet?

My wife gives me the look when I walk to the driver's door of the M Coupe... most of the time by habit.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 02-26-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Sue & Jen cooked up the deal for me to buy the Coupe, but I'd have to make up excuses to need her X5 before she'd drive it. I don't ever see us arguing about who drives it.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Is it sacrilegious to put the Convex ///M emblem (51142694404) on the hatch (as in the S54), to replace the aged flat M?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    My wife also calls my car coupie/coupy allllllllll the time!!!

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    My wife also calls my car coupie/coupy allllllllll the time!!!
    Hahaha! Actually ours is named after our [former] cat. Her name was Cupra, because of the strange copper spots she had. Her nickname was Coopie.

Here she is:

I love all animals, and I know that cats are temperamental, but this cat was extremely nice, oddly. She trilled when talked to and all. Especially if you bothered her when she used the kitty litter. TRILL and run off, embarrassed.

We annoyed her to hell sometimes, and never once did she bite, scratch, or be aggressive. She even stayed to use the hair dryer after baths. We did all the vet stuff, including removing her lady parts, which EVEN through anesthesia recovery she was quite gentle. But since we work 12+ hours a day, and she'd be lonely most of that time, we donated her to a young family in Dallas so their 5 year old can play with her. She's missed.

So the new toy is "Coupie 2.0".

BTW Z3speed4me, Coupie 2.0 has your shift boot installed right now. I thank you very much! Very much needed.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 02-27-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 Mcoupe estoril blue
    Nice pick up, my twin as well. The ostrich beige interior is the shit, I don't care what anyone on this forum says

- bill -

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by stamosenvy View Post
    Nice pick up, my twin as well. The ostrich beige interior is the shit, I don't care what anyone on this forum says

DBO's UNITE! hahaha

My Cars
    2k M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    DBO's UNITE! hahaha
    Since some don't understand, Maybe we should have our own sub-forum!!!

Forum-BMW Models -Z (Roadsters & Coupes)-Z3 (E36/7, E36/8)-DBO/EB E36/8

B!

Active HKS Stage 1 S/Crrrrr: m50 intake: Euro Oil Cooler: AA Exhaust: H&R/Bilstien

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiZ3MC View Post
    Since some don't understand, Maybe we should have our own sub-forum!!!

Forum-BMW Models -Z (Roadsters & Coupes)-Z3 (E36/7, E36/8)-DBO/EB E36/8

B!
    For all 62 of us? (if even that many, considering wrecks, and non forum people) LOL
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast