Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine bay question

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport

Engine bay question

Stupid as this sounds, can an M52 be revved directly from the engine bay or does one need to press the gas pedal? I searched but didn't come across anything. I there is a throttle with the wire on the right side of the engine by the air intake but it doesn't do anything. My Honda lets me rev the engine by moving the throttle cable that way. I've tried to rev it but the engine will sit at idle happy as can be.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Yes it can. The cables are on the bottom side of the throttle body as I recall. Harder to get to than on some other cars. But doable.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    Ahh I had no idea it was on the bottom side. Thank you!

Just kidding. Same throttle I thought it was. Turns out that cable isn't moving in or out -- almost like it's stuck. Never a good sign...
    Last edited by sid the sloth; 02-23-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: quick look under hood

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by sid the sloth View Post
    Ahh I had no idea it was on the bottom side. Thank you!

Just kidding. Same throttle I thought it was. Turns out that cable isn't moving in or out -- almost like it's stuck. Never a good sign...
    What now? You're not supposed to be able to rev it by pulling on the cable ... pull the butterfly open where the cable terminates ...

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    This is what I was referring to:

Under the right most cable plug-in there is a place where you can use your thumb to move the black arch with the cable on it. That is what I thought will rev the engine. Where are you referring to slocar?

My Cars
    A lot of BMW's
    Dude that's the traction control throttle body. The ACTUAL throttle body is the thing actually bolted to the intake manifold. Right at the bottom you can see the cables.

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    Jakobie - Yes, you're right. But then where is the place I can rev the engine from the bay? I looked around there but didn't see anything. What am I looking for?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Quote Originally Posted by sid the sloth View Post
    Jakobie - Yes, you're right. But then where is the place I can rev the engine from the bay? I looked around there but didn't see anything. What am I looking for?
    Not too sure you should be under the hood if you don't know what or where a tb is.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    A lot of BMW's
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Not too sure you should be under the hood if you don't know what or where a tb is.
    This. Not trying to offend, but I agree that you should leave the hood shut if you can't figure something this simple out.

90be70b5bd4538ae5d5d3922d8060039.jpg

That is upsidedown relative to when you look at it in the car. See that arm sticking up? That's sticking down in your engine bay. Move it.

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    Nope, not offended. I expect a smartass response for a stupid question on my part.

That aside, I do know what a throttle body is, just didn't realize what I moved was traction control related. My previous car was a Honda Civic and there was only one lever present which speed up the engine; two of them would have not been something I would have looked for. Now that I know I'll take a look at it in the morning.

My Cars
    93 325is and 95 525i
    I gotta ask why do you want to rev the engine from the engine bay anyways there's not much you need to do that for.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by onepumpkinking View Post
    I gotta ask why do you want to rev the engine from the engine bay anyways there's not much you need to do that for.
    because it's fun and it attracts the ladies :b

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    haha fair question. I was checking the engine oil and adding washer fluid so thought it would be good to know. and yes. Ladies like the growl.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    It started as just once a week I would get under the hood and rev the engine. Now its twice a day and getting worse. I'm going to a meeting of RA (revers anonamys) tonight to see if I can kick this thing. Its a sickness.

SA (spellers anonamys) is next week

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    It started as just once a week I would get under the hood and rev the engine. Now its twice a day and getting worse. I'm going to a meeting of RA (revers anonamys) tonight to see if I can kick this thing. Its a sickness.

SA (spellers anonamys) is next week
    Revving the engine from under the hood has torn my family apart.

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post

Lmao it's a good way to send vibrations rippling through the bottom end, too. Cranks need drag. It's like rolling along with the car in neutral at 100mph - terrible for the driveshaft. Free revving is not good.

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    You guys crack me up -- almost better than coffee in the morning before class hahaha

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i e36
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    I have court tomorrow morning. When my car stopped working I had to keep my addiction up by revving the cars of others.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    My head exploded

My Cars
    '99 M3 / '98 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
    That's hilarious. Usually what I do to get laid lol.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpgoalie View Post
    Lmao it's a good way to send vibrations rippling through the bottom end, too. Cranks need drag. It's like rolling along with the car in neutral at 100mph - terrible for the driveshaft. Free revving is not good.
    In other news, I also heard having the engine running at all puts wear on parts.

This forum is hilarious with how much everyone stresses over every little thing on their cars ...

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpgoalie View Post
    Party pooper boooo hissss

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    To hell with vibrations... I live in Minnesota the land of 10,000 mosquitoes and 10,000 potholes. If the car hasn't shaken itself to bits after a few days, I doubt a little revving will do anything harmful.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 550i

REv engine

ONe thing i can think of....rev engine (2000 rpm) to get psi readings of high and low pressure when A/c manifold guage set attached. (checking your refrigant levels as manifold hangs under your hood)

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by WTBBT View Post
    ONe thing i can think of....rev engine (2000 rpm) to get psi readings of high and low pressure when A/c manifold guage set attached. (checking your refrigant levels as manifold hangs under your hood)
    You realize this thread is 4 yrs old?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast