Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just installed a SuperSprint Exhaust on my 1998 2.8 Z3 - very happy camper!

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    I bought Jmai supersprint from the classifieds and installed it today. Probably the best $175 I've ever spent. It sounds fantastic. Almost stock under normal driving conditions with no drone, but a nice authoritative sound when pushing the engine. Also the larger diameter tips with the SuperSprint logo look great!

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Wow, quick installation. I'm glad you are enjoying it. You gotta love those Supersprint exhausts, especially when the right foot goes down!

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    With that price on Supersprint you can't go wrong!

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by potxoli View Post
    I bought Jmai supersprint from the classifieds and installed it today. Probably the best $175 I've ever spent. It sounds fantastic. Almost stock under normal driving conditions with no drone, but a nice authoritative sound when pushing the engine. Also the larger diameter tips with the SuperSprint logo look great!
    Wow, nice buy.

My Cars
    330i, M3 zcp, Z3
    I am about to have the Magnaflow 16712 installed at my dealer. bolt-on. should be fun and make the most of the Conforti tuning, on my M52TU (2.5l) 2000 2.3 6MT.
    $533. drop-shipped...
    hard to beat that
    Project car, got it summer of '16, 32k miles $9750. has been absolute blast!
    Last edited by 330indy; 02-15-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    2023 G80 pure; 7-7-22 build

xhausts are sexy.......I have one myself..... but sheesh that is costly........y not choose the can you prefer and have a shop bend it all up????

its an ez 100 dollar savings.......

My Cars
    330i, M3 zcp, Z3
    I think this particular one from Magnaflow has the "Touring" sound tuning, so more civilized, less drone. and easy fitment.
    https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partnumber=16712
    custom shops here in Indy can't do mandrel bends, so.... no thanks.
    :-) I looked into it
    Last edited by 330indy; 02-15-2018 at 05:15 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    I'm curious why very few people mention which Supersprint exhaust they have. There's a difference between the "race", "sport" and the "street" versions, right?

Mine is the Supersprint Street. Having once had a Magnaflow on a VR6 GTI that I regretted instantly, and subsequently lived with for three years because of the money I'd spent on it (I was pretty poor then), I went with the Supersprint street for my Z3MC, as opposed to the "race". While I've been really impressed with the materials, finish, and overall quality of the SS, I will admit that I wonder what the race version would sound like. The only thing I could ask for would be a little more pop and crackle on overrun. It does it sometimes, and it's a deep "whump!" that pleases me to no end. I would like to hear that more often, though. Would the SS race satisfy that?

My summary of SS Street: Drone is a non-issue. Throaty and nice burble. Occasional overrun pop, which is very deep, and not harsh or "treble-y". My car is an S52, BTW.

In general, can someone describe the difference in sound between the SS Street and Race models? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found this http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/archi.../t-372986.html
    Pasted text from that link below (Sounds like either a SS rep, or someone doing a really good impersonation of one)...

022 043 926 (or in Italy's part numbering system 04.39.26) is what we refer to here in the US as the SPORT muffler.

Natty was 100% correct with his listing of loudest to quietest.

Loudest- Race

Medium- Sport

Quietest- Street

Now for a quick history lesson. What we now call the Sport muffler here in the US was ORIGINALLY the race muffler for the E46 M3 (thus the 04 prefix which denotes all "race" BMW items). However, Italy quickly realized there was demand for an even louder option and so what we now all call the Race muffler was born. Italy technically still refers to the Race Muffler as the "Lightweight Race", aka, the 022 044 006 (or 04.40.06) even though we simply call it the Race muffler in the US.

And now to use my well rehearsed Goldilocks analogy that I'm sure several of you have heard directly from me when you've called:

When combined with a full system (headers, cats, x-pipe) the Race muffler is loud. It will drone on the highway, right around 2800 RPM, which means 68-72mph for most people. How MUCH drone is acceptable is completely subjective (hint, EVERY exhaust drones, even the OE muffler, its just a lot less noticeable) so you have to take someone else's opinion about how droney a particular setup is with a grain of salt. Or, find a way to listen to the car in person.

Next, we have the Street muffler. Even WITH headers, cats, and x-pipe, the car will be just barely louder than stock. Sound better? Of course, much better tone, much better overall note, buttttt definitely one of the quietest setups out there.

So, we have the Sport Muffler, or as I like to say, "the just right porridge". When combined with headers and the rest of a full system it's still totally benign at idle, low rpms and low load. BUT...open it up and start letting the rev's climb and suddenly you have a beast on your hands. Basically its 85% of the race muffler, without the extra 15% of the noise.

There is a good reason why these mufflers are rarely seen used, and its not because we haven't sold a bunch...it's because the people who buy them rarely, if ever, take them off the car.
    Last edited by PhilPhil; 02-16-2018 at 09:16 AM.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    How exhaust sounds depends very much on your resonators/cats/x-pipe/headers config. I have straight catless with race SS headers sport SS exhaust on M52 (there are only 2 options available - sport and race), and it drones pretty much (probably due to lack of resonators). Someone is telling me that on similar config but with Schmiedmann headers there is no drone (haven't heard it myself) at all.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    You could always install very simple 1/4-wavelenght resonator which in our case should be around 1m long. Or more advanced "bottle" type resonator which has calculators online.

I don't have drone at all. It is consistently loud but manageable and very enjoyable. I have Schmiedmann S-tech 2 headers and magnaflow cat (soon to be demolished) and rest are Supersport Race. Mind you this is single vanos M52B28 not TU so pipes are different.

I had drone with same headers and cat but Eisenmann cat back that had been modified somehow in germany by le mans raceteam. I dont know how. But it was the clearly empty and volumptous backbox that was escalating the drone to horrific levels. Drone is simply a mathematical phenomenom (explosions in engine / revolution = tune with same wavelenght as lenght of the exhaust pipe. Exhaust air temperature varies the speed of sound.) which has matematical answer and thus correct remedy.

Like Deni2s said they sell only 2 variations novadays... go to their native website which is very userfriendly and clear, factory also answers all mails nicely.

When my eisenmann that was altered inside, started to get warm with long motorway travel, the amount of noise became soon very unbearable. It was horrible to travel with constant speed. Supersprint Race has long perforated end section which passages air through it on low gas volumes, but becomes straight trough in nature with bigger gas volume and speed in the pipe. Sound levels can be balanced with throttle on motorway, just, it is literally on knife edge when it becomes louder.
    Last edited by Remotion; 02-17-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    330i, M3 zcp, Z3
    I like the 2.5" pipe and mandrel integrity throughout on the magnaflow I noted above, part 16712. I wasn't too crazy about the kinked pipe (going under the suspension) on the super sprint that mimics the OEM exhaust. I wanted better flow and deeper sound. So far so good.
    anyways, I posted to inform members there is an alternative to SS for Z3s. However my installer had to cut off the bolt flange and mate to the OE pipe with a clamp. Year 2000 car. So, know that going in....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123