Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just installed a SuperSprint Exhaust on my 1998 2.8 Z3 - very happy camper!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3

Just installed a SuperSprint Exhaust on my 1998 2.8 Z3

Just installed a SuperSprint exhaust. Excellent fit and finish - no welding, just bolts right up. Aaaaahhhh now this is more like it...no annoying drone, sweet low tone mellow note and has just the right amount of 'burble' when you gas it up. The Italians did this right! Got it from here: http://www.supersprintna.com/ Their customer service was excellent.

My last muffler was a Magna drone, that lasted about 15 minutes. It was annoyingly loud; felt like I was sitting in a tuba. I might as well have welded on an empty coffee can.

Last edited by z3aficionado; 02-22-2014 at 07:15 PM.

My Cars
    G60
    Very nice!

Does this replace the whole system up to the stock down pipe or does the OEM mid muffler (2 in 1 out) remain?

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Congrats! Looks very good.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by yip View Post
    Very nice!

Does this replace the whole system up to the stock down pipe or does the OEM mid muffler (2 in 1 out) remain?
    Good question! It bolts right up to the cat convertor.

Here is a pic of the OEM and the SuperSprint side by side which will give you a better perspective.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    nice!! can we hear it?? i'm looking into one.. and i have same year and engine!

My Cars
    G60
    Quote Originally Posted by alaser View Post
    nice!! can we hear it?? i'm looking into one.. and i have same year and engine!
    There is a really good deal on one on ebay right now if you are in the market:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201029595401...84.m1423.l2649

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    I got one last year on sale (~$850 shipped) and really enjoy it (on 98 2.8). Very nice and matures a bit (I have ~3K miles on mine). Sounds like a sports car-no drone.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by z3aficionado View Post
    Just installed a SuperSprint exhaust. Excellent fit and finish - no welding, just bolts right up...
    In 2012 I got a new-old-stock Supersprint for my 1997 1.9L. It was made in Italy in 1997, the flange was on the pipe so it all bolted on directly, and it does have a perfect sport car sound.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...intonZ319L.jpg
    In looking at the Supersprint site, it seems all the new mufflers come without a front flange, and require a connecting pipe with the flange, to be welded on the end of the pipe.
    "Requires 022 786 553 when used on Z3 2.5 or 2.8"
    http://www.supersprintna.com/categor...ategory_id/139
    Did yours not require this 022 786 553 connecting pipe?
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-24-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added photo link
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    '01 Z3, '98 M3
    I've had one with DTM tips on my '01 2.5 roadster since '08 and it looks and sounds great!

My Cars
    01 3.0i Roady
    I am on the fence between the SS and Magnaflow. Anyone have some decent sound clips with the SS on an M54? I think from my research to this point that the magna will be too loud for me.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by scrap View Post
    I am on the fence between the SS and Magnaflow... I think from my research to this point that the magna will be too loud for me.
    Might be too loud. I can't remember anyone saying how much they liked the sound.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7#post27235077
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=697170
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...my-impressions
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-24-2014 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    02 LSB MCoupe
    you will never go wrong with Supersprint, enjoy

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by scrap View Post
    I am on the fence between the SS and Magnaflow. Anyone have some decent sound clips with the SS on an M54? I think from my research to this point that the magna will be too loud for me.
    I will post a clip of my muffler this weekend for you. Keep in mind its not just the loudness of the noise to consider, it's how the noise resonates around you. The Magna drone is just a hollowed out metal can that sounds like a vacuum cleaner in your ears. That is NOT what you want from a muffler. You want an exhaust that was designed with quality materials, a perfect fit and superior craftsmanship. It should flow freely, not be loud, have no drone and create just the right 'burble' when you punch the gas.

That my friend will cost you $800 bucks new.

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Nice that it eliminates the resonator as well, that certainly contributes to the sound. My Remus was a "cut and clamp" and goes on after the resonator.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by z3aficionado View Post
    ... You want an exhaust that was designed with quality materials, a perfect fit and superior craftsmanship. It should flow freely, not be loud, have no drone and create just the right 'burble' when you punch the gas...
    That does describe my Supersprint. It is high quality, with documentation about the quality. It came with a certificate of compliance from the Italian Ministry of Transport, and an authorization from the German Motorvehicle Department, and a registration form from Supersprint. A sticker on the system said the inner and outer tailpipes, perforated inner silencer cores, and inlet tubes are all made of stainless steel, with the remaining parts high-grade aluminum-coated steel. The muffler is painted with black crinkle paint and the upturned dual tips are chromed. The system was made to fit the car perfectly, and bolted right on. The flow and tone seem designed specifically for the 1.9L displacement and 4-cylinder pulses. The system makes a variety of interesting sounds, depending on rpm and load. Starting and blipping makes a little bark. Idle is quiet burble. Going from 2000 to 3000 rpm in each gear under heavy throttle is authoritative. Under gentle acceleration, going to 3500 rpm in each gear, there is just a pleasant muted growl. Accelerating to 5000 pm changes that to a subdued howl. Cruising at a steady 65-75 is quiet, no drone, just a hum.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    Man now I want one!

My Cars
    2008 M5, 1995 540i
    I have had the SuperSprint on my 2000 Z3 2.8 for 4 years now I think, but as its a 2000, I had to cut the system to install, wish it was bolt up. Still dont understand why the hell BMW made from tips to manifold 1 single piece.

I like the exhaust, wish it was louder but might become annoying when the top is down if it was.
    Current Cars
    2008 BMW M5 6 spd
    1995 BMW 540i 6 Spd
    2016 M4 Cabrio 6 spd
    2017 X5 35d MSport
    2017 i3 94ah Rex

Former Cars
    2013 135i MSport Cabrio DCT
    2012 BMW X5 35d Sport
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster MSport Impala Brown
    1992 BMW 535i 5 Spd
    2011 BMW X3 2.8i MSport Alpine White
    1995 BMW 530iA Artic Silver
    1986 BMW 635CSi Bronze Mettalic
    2009 Dodge Ram 2500

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Maybe I am the minority here, but I really don't have this crazy drone with my magna flow. It sounds great at idle, it is is a bit louder in the 1500-2500 range, but I don't spend spend a lot of time in that rev range, and at wot it sounds great.

At 600+ for most exhausts, I really couldn't justify the cost considering it is pretty much the sound you are paying for. In any case, when headers go on, I will be doing a custom exhaust from headers back anyways, since I will have to relocate my cats.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Coupe
    I have magnaflow's on my s52 coupe and they are not too bad in the beginning but after 30 minutes, I get tired of them... Especially around 2000 rpm. Not sure if it is me or if it actually gets louder when it gets up to temp.

My Cars
    2010 Z4 30i
    I like my magnaflow. It was custom fit to my car at magnaflow with with a dual tip muffler. They used my car last year to make their jig. They misplaced the one they had and since they were getting a lot of inquiries about their systems they had to make a new jig. So, I got a cat back installed for free and a Benz to drive for a few days while they had my car.

Cheers!!

Chuck

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I find the comments here about Magnaflow to be pretty laughable. When I came to HC the last year, I must have had something on the order of 50 to 100 people come up to me at the Embassey asking me what exhaust I had on my car as it sounded perfect. I don't go crowing about my exhaust but have heard it when other drivers were on course and it sounds pretty damn nice. There is a very small threshold between 1800-2000 rpms where someone could claim it drones but I don't profess to remain in that zone very long. This is not a knock on Supersprints which are probably fantastic but their price is pretty stout.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    I find the comments here about Magnaflow to be pretty laughable. When I came to HC the last year, I must have had something on the order of 50 to 100 people come up to me at the Embassey asking me what exhaust I had on my car as it sounded perfect. I don't go crowing about my exhaust but have heard it when other drivers were on course and it sounds pretty damn nice. There is a very small threshold between 1800-2000 rpms where someone could claim it drones but I don't profess to remain in that zone very long. This is not a knock on Supersprints which are probably fantastic but their price is pretty stout.
    Exactly how I view it. Supersprint us great, but at the price difference I don't see it it as worth it considering I like the way my car sounds, and most people that hear my car really like the way it sounds. Of course it is going to be a different story once headers go on hehehe.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    That's my experience. Although I am now running Ansa Silverlines, when I ran Magnaflows I had loads of favorable comments concerning the sound. It is much louder than the Dinan cans that the car came with. So if you don't mind a sport bark to the exhaust, the Magnaflows are a good choice and inexpensive. If you want stock level of quiet, they would be a bad choice. But, at least on my S52, they have a very deep bass at idle to about 2500-3000. Then they transfer over to a pretty loud growl through redline. They do produce a bit of a drone around town but only within about 1800-2500rpm. Maybe more noticeable in a coupe but sounds great in a roadster. < shoulder shrug >

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    That's my experience. Although I am now running Ansa Silverlines, when I ran Magnaflows I had loads of favorable comments concerning the sound. It is much louder than the Dinan cans that the car came with. So if you don't mind a sport bark to the exhaust, the Magnaflows are a good choice and inexpensive. If you want stock level of quiet, they would be a bad choice. But, at least on my S52, they have a very deep bass at idle to about 2500-3000. Then they transfer over to a pretty loud growl through redline. They do produce a bit of a drone around town but only within about 1800-2500rpm. Maybe more noticeable in a coupe but sounds great in a roadster. < shoulder shrug >

Terry
    Got to agree. My magnaflow sounds like music to me, and I have lots of favorable comments, but spend what you need to feel good about it. Its your car.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 roadster
    I'm sorry I didn't go with the SuperSprint. I took the cheap way out with the Magnaflow Cat Back for my 98 2.8l. It last 50 miles before I took it out and went back to stock. A few points, my 2.8l is an auto and most of the driveing with the wife in the 1700 to 2500 rpm range which is right in the "Drone" sweet spot. It's not bad once you get above 3000 rpm's but below it is WAY to loud. I have it for sale if anyone is interested (Boston Area)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast