Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody used the AEM Infinity?

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    That said, it's closer to a stock ECU then it is a stand alone it's used in Mercruiser Marine, and other various applications and I believe might even have been used in some GM cars.
    I believe the ProEFI is built by Mototron and closely related to the OEM Chrysler ECU used from 2003 until a couple years ago. The form factor and plugs are identical.
    Last edited by Matt Cramer; 02-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    e36
    who offers the best pricing for the AEM Infinity? Also, does anyone know if a harness PNP is available for m50?
    Last edited by kenbdSi; 03-03-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    So I've been thinking this over and over after selling my EMS-4 for roughly what I paid for it.

It's between the Infinity 6 with 9 Analog Ins and 9 outputs (I'm guessing some are hardwired like the bigger Infinity's, no wiring schematic released ATM) and Infinity 8 with 17 Analog ins and 12 outputs.

Basically I can run the engine with the Infinity 6 and do a little datalogging inputs (oil press, EGT, drivetrain temps, exhaust back pressure, brake pressure frt and rear etc), but things get pretty tight on inputs the more and more I look at it. The full blown 8 of course gives me more than enough capabilities to do anything I'd want to do on my 4 banger and more.

So I guess it comes down to what I envision the usage of the standalone being. It can be something like a factory ECU that maybe monitors one or two other things and is easy to change engine parameters, or it can become a more full blown datalogging tool for a track car - which explains the brake pressure sensors. I think I'd rather pay the extra $700ish to get the capability to do the later without running out of inputs/outputs (more inputs really).

What's everybody else's take on it? Do you want to get a standalone up and going as cheap as possible to run the engine and that's it, or slowly add more sensors and have something that can really monitor everything going on with the car?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    This would be a pretty simple decision for me for MY car... I'd for got the bigger/better one.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Yea, I'm really leaning that way as well. But $700 to "justify" spending on other stuff sure sounds nice too. Track cars are freakin' expensive...

My Cars
    e30
    It depends on the software for datalogging. Some dataloggers are set up better to overlay all the track related data it seems. When looking at track data you don't need to see all the engine parameters. Of course on your log you can just highlight what ones you want to compare in the viewer too.

If the ECU can do everything its nice to have it all in one unit. Unless you get crazy with chassis based sensors running everything from the ECU is the most practical choice.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    True, I believe track map data would require an AEM AQ-1 and a bit more hardware. Not impossible, but the outlay is starting to grow when talking about that.

I do have a STACK dash with predictive lap timing that's a pretty good real-time tool for driving improvement on track.

The main thing with some more sensors on the car is just generally knowing what's going on with it. I know it's one of those things I'm not going to be checking my diff temp every time I go out after looking at it a few times, but until you have that data it's a big mystery. When you do have the data it then becomes a "well that was obvious" 99% of the time. But it establishes a baseline.

That's the only way I think I can be happy with the Infinity 6 is having a couple of "temporary inputs" that I cycle sensors around to various parts of the car to establish baselines and get a better understanding of the entire system.

My Cars
    e30
    Sounds good to me, thats what I would do. Unless you are really competitive in a class, you dont need all the available sensors.

For a track day hobbist, its all about learning about the car and having fun. Besides, you can run a few track days for the cost of all the additional sensors for a full chassis setup
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I'm an instructor, so track time is pretty cheap, just me getting slung around by n00bs.

I figured all the "nice to have" sensors would amount to around $250-400ish(4x thermocouples, about 5-6 extra pressure sensors). To put it in perspective, that's only 2 tires... not much (yea, it's an expensive hobby...).

That said, the Infinity 6 doesn't save an absolute ton when I look at the additional sensors. I talked to a friend and he was pushing me to get the more $$$ system... as I do like to tinker. I'm going to really list out needed analog inputs and go from there. I was thinking the outputs would kind of constrain me, but looking at it again it'll probably be fine with the 9.

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    I went with the overkill option just a couple months ago. I did it mostly for troubleshooting and failsafes.

My Cars
    1994 Alpina B3 3.0
    I noticed today (probably been there for a while) that AEM has a set of setup and wiring instructions specifically for the E36 M3:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine...-downloads-92/

My Cars
    e30
    I was meaning multi axis accelerometers, yaw sensor, damper travel, ect for a chassis setup
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    I was meaning multi axis accelerometers, yaw sensor, damper travel, ect for a chassis setup
    Which some of those could be used on the Infinity, but for the accelerometer and GPS position I'd need the AQ-1 which is about $420-440ish full in (box and harness). Not impossible to fit into the budget, but I'm not exactly sure it's all worth the cost... The Infinity and AQ-1 should be able to talk to each other over AEMnet, so it'd be possible in the future if I really wanted to.

Which thinking about it... supposedly the AQ-1 and Infinity 6 could be daisy chained together. That'd give me plenty of analog inputs to play with (9+4), an accelerometer, and the ability to add fairly cheap GPS module for track mapping.

Maybe that's a smarter decision... go with the Infinity 6, and add the AQ-1 to get an "inbetween solution," as far as inputs go, but then have an accelerometer and the ability to add GPS to the mix.

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Which some of those could be used on the Infinity, but for the accelerometer and GPS position I'd need the AQ-1 which is about $420-440ish full in (box and harness). Not impossible to fit into the budget, but I'm not exactly sure it's all worth the cost... The Infinity and AQ-1 should be able to talk to each other over AEMnet, so it'd be possible in the future if I really wanted to.

Which thinking about it... supposedly the AQ-1 and Infinity 6 could be daisy chained together. That'd give me plenty of analog inputs to play with (9+4), an accelerometer, and the ability to add fairly cheap GPS module for track mapping.

Maybe that's a smarter decision... go with the Infinity 6, and add the AQ-1 to get an "inbetween solution," as far as inputs go, but then have an accelerometer and the ability to add GPS to the mix.
    These are a few new Infinity features and accessories out for all the track guys out there (GPS/vehicle position module) is SUPER helpful at the circuit!
    I've been using the Infinity ECU's now for a while both on street cars and strictly track cars, amazing plug and play e46 M3 options and not a bad price point if i don't say so. Last E46 i tuned on Infinity: https://brewedmotors.com/blog/bmw-m3...-ems-and-etune

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Old thread. As an update, I went with an Infinity 506 (used to be just Infinity 6). It's got plenty of I/O for how much time I actually want to pour over data. I'd rather just wrench on it to be honest.

I've been really happy with the system, absolutely no complaints, and all the failsafes really do save your ass. Had a binding EFR WG actuator when things would get hot, and it saved me from repeated overboost that I couldn't even see on my boost gauge (yep, that's how quick this thing will come back into boost!).

Money well spent, I'd make the same decision today.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Old thread. As an update, I went with an Infinity 506 (used to be just Infinity 6). It's got plenty of I/O for how much time I actually want to pour over data. I'd rather just wrench on it to be honest.

I've been really happy with the system, absolutely no complaints, and all the failsafes really do save your ass. Had a binding EFR WG actuator when things would get hot, and it saved me from repeated overboost that I couldn't even see on my boost gauge (yep, that's how quick this thing will come back into boost!).

Money well spent, I'd make the same decision today.
    Agree... a good standalone sets itself apart from stock ECU's in many different ways.

The features are there to deal with situations that the OE never cared about, so while yes an OE ECU can make 800whp I don't see any reason to do so.

My Cars
    Lotus Super 7
    I have an infinty ECU on two of my cars and have tuned about 12 of them now and I love them. Incredible control and the ability to do everything I want.
    Attention TURBO LOVERS, Great book -----> How to turbocharge and Tune your Engine

Favorite Automotive Tuning Articles on the Internet: Engine Tuning Articles
    My Car: Custom Build Lotus Super 7

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Yea, the infinity is nice. I need to get back to making things work. Life has a way of getting in the way but I can give it a thumbs up.

My Cars
    Lotus Super 7
    For $100 bucks go with a 6 and pick up 2 more user outputs.
    Attention TURBO LOVERS, Great book -----> How to turbocharge and Tune your Engine

Favorite Automotive Tuning Articles on the Internet: Engine Tuning Articles
    My Car: Custom Build Lotus Super 7

My Cars
    90 M3, 99 528iT, 03 M3
    Anyone has experience with Infinity 8 on S54? Waiting for the cams to come in, and Ill put my AEM in use finally, after a year of hibernation. Just looking for advise on how to move the peak torque more towards the 5.5k-6k rpm, and I expect my peak hp to be at 8200 or around there. It`s my track car and I have no use fo power down low while on track paired with a 4.10 diff

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    There is a plug and play for the s54 I think. Allot of the IO is over CAN I believe.

My Cars
    90 M3, 99 528iT, 03 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bry195 View Post
    There is a plug and play for the s54 I think. Allot of the IO is over CAN I believe.
    Correct, I`ll be using the PNP harness.Just looking for some good advice on using timing and vanos to get what I want.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyM View Post
    Correct, I`ll be using the PNP harness.Just looking for some good advice on using timing and vanos to get what I want.
    Dyno will be your friend here

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyM View Post
    Anyone has experience with Infinity 8 on S54? Waiting for the cams to come in, and Ill put my AEM in use finally, after a year of hibernation. Just looking for advise on how to move the peak torque more towards the 5.5k-6k rpm, and I expect my peak hp to be at 8200 or around there. It`s my track car and I have no use fo power down low while on track paired with a 4.10 diff
    Depending on your exhaust set up and the cams you might get away with a bit more overlap on the cams at higher rpm but as others have said only testing/tuning/logging/dyno will tell the truth.

My Cars
    90 M3, 99 528iT, 03 M3
    Thanks fellas!
    I`m using custom equal pressure headers 3-1 @ 2.5" Y section 2 into catted 3.5" to the back. I think it`s fairly large exhaust. I will report back once I have the cams installed and do the first run on the dyno

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast