Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody used the AEM Infinity?

My Cars
    90 M3, 99 528iT, 03 M3
    *Just a quick update*

About 6 months ago I had the car on a DynoJet, and in 8 1/2 hours got it to 95% to my liking (driveability wise). I have Infinity PnP e46, running ff - 91/ethanol, with 288/280, supertech valve springs, full header back catted exhaust. The car put down 340whp on 91 @8200 and 345whp on e71. Had some issues with AEM hardware, but altogether happy with the Infinity`s performance.

My Cars
    Depends on the day
    Back from the dead.

Has anyone used the AEM infinity 30-7108 in their non M e46?

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Quite possible to run the engine with the ECU BUT you won't easily be able to incorporate the infinity into the CANbus system (at this point only the M3 CANbus is supported.) **sorry for delay i didn't see that anyone posted a question!

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Got lucky and scored a CD5 dash for my little sr20 swapped E30 running on the AEM infinity, i'll post some custom display layouts and features for the dash soon as well. Playing with the dash design software it has been fun to see what can be done.

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Playing in my E30 running a SR20det on AEM Infinity 508 ECU with a plug n play ECU package and tuning from Brewed Motorsports

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    How do you like it?

I've been considering going to a dash but mostly concerned about losing a fuel gauge and turn indicators. I also don't really want to lose the production vehicle look of the factory dash but would love to see coolant temp and oil pressure with warning lights

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin325i View Post
    How do you like it?

I've been considering going to a dash but mostly concerned about losing a fuel gauge and turn indicators. I also don't really want to lose the production vehicle look of the factory dash but would love to see coolant temp and oil pressure with warning lights
    No need to lose anything. Add their CAN modules, hook up the relevant stock cluster wires into it and you have everything you want. If you want blinkers you'll want the 22ch module to pipe the blinker signals into digital inputs.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Yeah cost wise it's a little steep since I'd want to get in on the logger option. Damn near 1800 price wise then. Something to keep on my mind. Not sure the price is worth shift lights and a coolant temp read out. Be nice to have the logger capabilities but I really like walking away with the flash drive and my keys instead of sitting in the car after driving it.

I probably still have a spare input for fuel level. Looks like the dash already has a couple digital inputs for high beams and turn indicators.

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    How do you like it?

You can add turn signals no problem with the CD series dashes:
    The first thing I want to check is that your turn signal inputs are grounds and not 12v. The inputs into the dash for beacon or page change or the spare inputs are all setup for ground inputs only. Since most cars won't readily have any kind of ground present that's associated with the turn signals, you'd have to come up with some kind of setup that does.
    Setting up a turn signal indicator using bitmaps is fairly straight forward. First create new output channels - call them TurnLeft and TurnRight. Set their operation to be Single Icon Toggle (most layout files have this existing already in Graphic Selector) and then click on "...". By selecting Single Icon Toggle, you have a graphic selector that has two indexes: 0 & 1. The channel you're going to reference is Spare 1 Status which has two states: 0 & 1. When Spare 1 Status is 0, the graphic selector will display the default graphic and when Spare 1 Status is 1, it'll display the index 1 graphic. In this case, you can use icons from C:\Users\Documents\AEM\DashDesign\Graphics\65x45. My example is using "arrow_left_solid" and "Blank_65x45".

Fuel level sensor input:
    This is also easily added via a 6 channel CANbus module (much cheaper than the 22 channel).

I have the CD7 and CD5 dashes in stock, happy to help you out with a special deal and tech support if you decide to go with a digital dash. I personally like the CD5 on a removable mount so you can easily take it out when you want to have the extra simple clean OEM look on a road trip of when the wife is driving. (The dashes also have multiple display pages so you can always set it up to display however you want).
    feel free to shoot me an email any time.
    Email is: tuning @ Brewedmotorsports.com (no space) or
    https://brewedmotorsports.com/produc...-dash-display/

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Yeah cost wise it's a little steep since I'd want to get in on the logger option. Damn near 1800 price wise then. Something to keep on my mind. Not sure the price is worth shift lights and a coolant temp read out. Be nice to have the logger capabilities but I really like walking away with the flash drive and my keys instead of sitting in the car after driving it.

I probably still have a spare input for fuel level. Looks like the dash already has a couple digital inputs for high beams and turn indicators.
    It's not really integrated into a standalone, but I like my knockoff Defi Advance ZD for doing all that. The knockoff version of the Defi unit has way more sensors and inputs and seems much more fully featured, plus it's like 15% the cost. I looked the other way on the knockoff status, but it's nice, does all sorts of sensors, has warnings, peak/hold, shift lights.

Also with an AEM Infinity the AEM CAN gauge is nice for reading CAN output from the Infinity without going to a full dash. It's also way cheaper which helps.

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    No datogging on the defin clone though.
    I have one too but the sensor logging is largely useless if it won't data log too

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by ba114 View Post
    No datogging on the defin clone though.
    I have one too but the sensor logging is largely useless if it won't data log too
    If you're talking about logging lots of stuff, the cheapest way to do it is to get the higher featured standalone with more inputs, or maybe AEM's AQ-1. Although on the AEM AQ-1 and their CAN hub, it seems they kinda got it 80% complete with talking and working across their line then jumped off to work on EV stuff. Which I've got to say, is really starting to annoy me given I just bought my 2nd Infinity right around when they actively dropped development on that stuff. They say they'll swing back around to it, but at this point it's been ~2 years so it's not looking good on getting anymore features added/smoothed out (like easily adding more datalogging into your existing ECU with their own CANhubs etc.).

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    it's not looking good on getting anymore features added/smoothed out (like easily adding more datalogging into your existing ECU with their own CANhubs etc.).
    Or even being able to implement your own strategies with additional inputs/sensors, etc.

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Aem infinity is officially gone/discontinued

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by tunermt View Post
    Aem infinity is officially gone/discontinued
    It feels like they just let it rot the last year or more since Holley bought AEM Electronics.

I bought a series 7 Infinity 708 for a good price but I really think I'll go with Haltech for my next setup. They seem to focus more on support, and while their big weakness is I/O, I think I could make it work. Maybe build some auxiliary setup for logging that I don't care about that's tied to the engine like some temperatures etc.

Sad that AEM kinda borked up the Infinity lineup when it was really competitive. They locked down timing patterns behind a wizard, and were slow to add more applications. Just a stupid choice versus at least giving tuners some access to their wizard environment for at least things like timing patterns.

I personally feel AEM's focus on EV stuff is stupid. Shame the Infinity setup had to fall prey to it.

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    It feels like they just let it rot the last year or more since Holley bought AEM Electronics.

I bought a series 7 Infinity 708 for a good price but I really think I'll go with Haltech for my next setup. They seem to focus more on support, and while their big weakness is I/O, I think I could make it work. Maybe build some auxiliary setup for logging that I don't care about that's tied to the engine like some temperatures etc.

Sad that AEM kinda borked up the Infinity lineup when it was really competitive. They locked down timing patterns behind a wizard, and were slow to add more applications. Just a stupid choice versus at least giving tuners some access to their wizard environment for at least things like timing patterns.

I personally feel AEM's focus on EV stuff is stupid. Shame the Infinity setup had to fall prey to it.
    yep that’s exactly how I feel as well. I tune a lot of Haltech and Motec packages, if you have any questions about either feel free to ask. (If you short on inputs/outputs we do a lot of packages using the io expansion as well as the nexus series vcu. Both options can give you all the IO you could need.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by tunermt View Post
    yep that’s exactly how I feel as well. I tune a lot of Haltech and Motec packages, if you have any questions about either feel free to ask. (If you short on inputs/outputs we do a lot of packages using the io expansion as well as the nexus series vcu. Both options can give you all the IO you could need.
    I feel like a Nexus R3 + Haltech CAN I/O expander gets dangerously close to the Nexus R5 just making sense.

Have you seen the CANChecked CAN expander? Seems pretty cheap, and while it doesn't do many outputs (seems to do 3x lowside on v2, which is nice), it does have a ton of analog and digital inputs.

https://www.vadpro.com/products/canc...-bus-expansion

It talks to Haltech CAN (and others), but I wonder how well it really integrates with the Haltech software. I will say I find Haltech's CAN expander stupidly high priced for what it is. If it had more I/O I could see it being justified, but it feels very light on I/O for the price.

But I/O expanders makes something like cruise control really easy to add in, whereas it's an input hog on anything besides a Nexus R5.

For now I'm just trying to get by with my Infinity 708. It works fine, it just annoys me they never really moved it past "final Beta" stage in terms of features IMO.

Are you guys direct with Haltech? I currently only source them through Turn14, and their discount is not competitive. Haltech frequently does sales below my cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, to add, the one thing that really makes me want Haltech is fully featured MAF support.

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    haha ya i i'm sure haltech is pricing all the boxes accordingly IE an elite + PDM +wideband = a Nexus with similar functionality IO count.

Send an email to tuning@brewedmotorsports.com 100% can they can keep you in the green on all Haltech products including when Haltech themselves run a sales.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123