Thread: Brake rotor removal on E36 M3, help needed

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan

Brake rotor removal on E36 M3, help needed

I'm sitting here with my new front pads and rotors trying to figure out how to get the old rotors off. I've removed the caliper and pad carrier and I've sprayed probably a half can of PB Blaster and some Liquid Wrench for good luck. I've been banging on the rotor from the inside with hammers ranging from a rubber mallet to a 2 lb sledge and no go. Any suggestions on ways to remove the rotor without damaging anything are more than welcome. Will continued hammering on the rotor damage the wheel bearing or anything else?

Help! Thanks.

Larry

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    did you remove the small hex bolt that holds the rotor onto the hub??
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Yes, and after a lot of banging it finally came off. Interesting that the passenger side rotor came off with two taps. Thanks for responding.

My Cars
    future spec e30; camry solara; '03 z06
    yup, you just bang on it until it comes off. Just remember to put a bolt into the hub so a rotor doesn't go flying off.

I look forward to getting a car w/ a frozen rotor like that so I can get my "bubba" rubber mallet out of my toolbox and wail away!

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Bfh

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    thread resurrection. BFH... 10 minutes surfing the web while the wd40 soaks in doesn't hurt either.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree