Thread: Fluid on my struts...and power steering reservoir?

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe

Fluid on my struts...and power steering reservoir?

Hey everyone. So I just changed my transmission fluid today and while under there I noticed that I have fluid all over the inside of my driver side front strut

I guess it could be a blown shock; I am pretty sure they are originals and there is a creaky sound coming from there when I hit dips in the road. However, I also noticed that my power steering reservoir (I think, please correct me if I am wrong) is covered in fluid

Does that look like a power steering leak or could that be oil? Would it be possible that the ps fluid would be flung onto the shock? Any diys for the power steering reservoir replacement? Can't seem to find any.

Thanks

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Shock is blown for sure.

PS DIY:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Power-Steering

Be sure to retain the restrictor valve in the return line (under the clamp in the middle of the hose).

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    That's a ton of fluid around shock. Way to be sure is check top, if shaft is all oily then blown for sure. That fluid looks kinda fresh too.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Dam, I guess I should have pulled the trigger on coilovers rather than an exhaust The top of the shaft definitely had some gunk on it

What are the odds that the reservoir is cracked? Probably replace everything but :/ Pretty much once I remove/replace everything, I can fill the reservoir up and just turn the wheel a few times and the system will bleed itself correct? Also, would you guys recommend just using redline d4 atf fluid (same as tranny fluid) or should I grab some dexron III; I am assuming both will work the same.
    Last edited by ewrjontan; 02-16-2014 at 03:07 AM.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    not sure if the reservoir is cracked but most all of them leak after awhile. D4 or dex III will work fine. I'm running D4 in all my cars.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
    What are the odds that the reservoir is cracked? Probably replace everything but :/ Pretty much once I remove/replace everything, I can fill the reservoir up and just turn the wheel a few times and the system will bleed itself correct? Also, would you guys recommend just using redline d4 atf fluid (same as tranny fluid) or should I grab some dexron III; I am assuming both will work the same.
    Never heard of a res cracking, its more likely that the hose clamps have lost their clamping strength over time.

Follow the DIY I linked above to fix the problem permanently.

Any ATF will work fine. I personally used Mobil 1 ATF because it was available locally.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Blown shock. Replace asap

Be careful driving as it can leak on your tire; oily tire = no bueno.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471