Thread: R56 Mini S Won't Start

My Cars
    2007 R56, 2003 530i Spor

R56 Mini S Won't Start

2007 Mini S that has baffled a team of Mini mechanics and a local BMW Cert Mechanic on why it will not start (BTW the mini was at the dealer for two weeks and has now been in the shop another 7 weeks straight).

Here goes..

Mid Dec cold morning, started fine then three blocks away after getting gas (Premium) it would start then idle at 1,000 RPM then I heard something "click" under passenger foot well then die and not restart. Wait an hour, same scenario.

Searched mini forums and found the High Pressure Fuel Pump could be cause of problem. Towed to Mini dealer and the HPFP replaced but car would still not start. Mini mech check fuel rail pressure, OK. Pulled the intake and checked for carbon, OK. Reassembled intake and it started right up with no error codes. Drove it home (70 mi away) with no problems and it ran great for two weeks.

Drove to work in the AM, fine. Started it up at noon and 200 feet out of the parking lot it felt like it someone turned off the key and only at half power at best then sputtered and died. Towed it to a local cert BMW mechanic (who really is good and has done some work on my 530i).

The list:
    Retraced the steps of Mini mech and it all checked out. Getting fuel pressure, spark but receiving error codes. NOTE: on the Crank Shaft monitor it was reading 10vDC at the DME.
    After ten hours, decided to send the DME to GoECU in Texas for testing and possible fix. According to GoECU it failed their bench test and according to Mini they could not replace the processor (what they believed was the failed component). Boxed it up and sent it back. In the meantime, purchased a new DME from Mini with Vin code programmed. Installed it and programmed the DME and all sensors. Still would not start but now we do not have fuel pressure (no injector pulse) or spark. While cranking we noticed that it did not have any RPM so the crank shaft sensor was replaced. Still not starting.

Error codes:
    • 2BD2 Internal driver DME
    • 2B4A Throttle position sensor (note the last letter in this code "A", this is the low side because I was told it was a potentiometer type of sensor)
    • 2B4B Throttle position sensor (note the last letter in this code "B", this is the high side)

I was also told by a Mini mech that even with the throttle sensor removed the car would start and idle around 1,800 RPM so I'm kind of discarding the idea that this is the cause.
    Now at the point of doing point to point wiring ring outs to see if a wire is pinched or what ever...

Next and final steps:
    Just received the original DME back and will swap it out to see if it will at least try to start (like at the gas station in the beginning) If so, the new DME will get reprogrammed. If that does nothing my last resort is to flatbed it back to Mini and at least have the BMW engineers on line to help.

Sorry for the novel guys but that is where we are at with this and if anyone has ANY ideas (honestly ANY) please reply HELP!

Grateful for this forum.

TBO

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Well after nine weeks and $3,200 later, a DME wire was discovered shorted to the intake. It appears that after seven years of vibration the shielding around the wiring harness and the wire's jacket wore thin and shorted to ground. Glad to finally have it back and running.

Quote Originally Posted by ls12go View Post
    Well after nine weeks and $3,200 later, a DME wire was discovered shorted to the intake. It appears that after seven years of vibration the shielding around the wiring harness and the wire's jacket wore thin and shorted to ground. Glad to finally have it back and running.
    $3200 out of my pocket for such an issue, especially after the dealership looked at it would make me a very unhappy boy...

The word "incompetent" comes to mind...
    Last edited by Pyewacket69; 02-27-2014 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    2006 mini cooper s

Location of short

Quote Originally Posted by ls12go View Post
    Hi. I really hope you are either watching this page or get an email saying there is a new posting. I have a similar problem to yours. I have been rebuilding the engine on a 2006 mini cooper s. Got it done, started the car, ran good. a couple of days later, took the car for a drive up the road and back for maybe 30 min. ran great. parked it. Now, no spark, no injector pulse, but it still cranks over. I know about the key coding and security stuff, and am wondering if I lost coding, but first, I wanted to check to see if I might just have a shorted wire like you.
    I was hoping you might be able to tell me most specifically where the shorted wire was? Or how you tracked that wire down?

thank you for your help!

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewix View Post
    Hi. I really hope you are either watching this page or get an email saying there is a new posting. I have a similar problem to yours. I have been rebuilding the engine on a 2006 mini cooper s. Got it done, started the car, ran good. a couple of days later, took the car for a drive up the road and back for maybe 30 min. ran great. parked it. Now, no spark, no injector pulse, but it still cranks over. I know about the key coding and security stuff, and am wondering if I lost coding, but first, I wanted to check to see if I might just have a shorted wire like you.
    I was hoping you might be able to tell me most specifically where the shorted wire was? Or how you tracked that wire down?

thank you for your help!

Hi, I wonder did you get to the bottom of your no start issue? Today we also have the same problem. Was ok last night but has failed to start this morning. Turns over but does not fire.

My Cars
    97 z3
    Hi were you able to fix the no start problem?

My Cars
    Fiat Stilo
    This is the best car!

My Cars
    MissviamLJ

R56 Mini S Wont Start

We never meet, our cars dont run, were always working on them. We get together here like an AA meeting....