Thread: High pitched pump noise ?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it

High pitched pump noise ?

What is the hight pitched pump noise on start up ? It lasts about 30 sec to 1 minute then stops...

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Probably the secondary air pump. It injects air into the exhaust system. The pump is probably dying.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    +1 on what Ed said.
    Is the sound coming from this area?
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrothers View Post
    What is the hight pitched pump noise on start up ? It lasts about 30 sec to 1 minute then stops...
    My SAP was replaced about 90k back and has always made this noise. Is it not supposed to 'scream' like that? I thought it was normal since the unit was new when replaced...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolinARC View Post
    My SAP was replaced about 90k back and has always made this noise. Is it not supposed to 'scream' like that? I thought it was normal since the unit was new when replaced...
    So you are saying your NEW pump makes the noise ? Did it make it right after install or did the noise return after a while ?

It's hard to exactly locate the noise, but it does appear to be the passenger side.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Well, it has 90k now but yes, after replacement, the noise was still there, a high pitched sound. I believe pass side engine compartment is the correct location...

My plan was to work on the brakes today but wife wanted to take my son to Monterey Bay Aquarium so the project is on hold. When I get a chance, I'll try to capture the sound in a recording...
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 02-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolinARC View Post
    Well, it has 90k now but yes, after replacement, the noise was still there, a high pitched sound. I believe pass side engine compartment is the correct location...
    Did they not replace the Air Valve as well?
    "When the valve fails in the open position, exhaust flows backward into the Air Pump with water vapor, destroying the Air Pump."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dcrothers View Post
    It's hard to exactly locate the noise, but it does appear to be the passenger side.
    Have you gotten any fault codes? Specifically...P0410 OBD-II Code (S.A.S. Fault).

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Did they not replace the Air Valve as well?
    "When the valve fails in the open position, exhaust flows backward into the Air Pump with water vapor, destroying the Air Pump."
    Afaik...yes. Bavarian Professionals did the work before I started DIYing. They are an extremely reputable Indy in Berkley. When replacing my wp, the owner, Mike, got involved and suggested replacing hoses while we were "in there". Later I discovered what a great suggestion that was and he only billed me for 15 mins. labor. He also replaced the second failed t-stat "under warranty" even tho it was WAY out of warranty and didn't charge me one penny. He even gave me a loaner BMW to drive back and forth during the repair too. Highly recommend them for ANY work, major or minor unless you are an avid DIYer...

My Cars
    f10 535ix
    Here is how to rebuild auxiliary pump and check the relay, might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ7Q09f5qAs&frags=pl%2Cwn