Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: My First BMW – My First Swap – LS2/T56 into an E36

My Cars
    328i Manual Coupe
    Don’t stress about the time, better to take your time than rush and regret it later when things aren’t quite as you’d hope.
    If it makes you feel any better I’ve wanted to LS swap an e36 for 10 years now and I’m still further behind than you!

I admire your dedication to going for an oem+ harness. I ordered a wiring specialties harness to hopefully get me 95% close to a reliable functional harness.

Cheers

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Thanks very much for the encouragement guys! I really appreciate it. And you're right; I can't quit and I don't intend to. I just need to find a way to re-motivate and move forward. Even if progress is slow, slow progress is better than no progress.

I'm sure you all have you own Covid stories but I started a master bed/bathroom renovation in February, knowing that I have to begin job related LTT (Long Term Training) at the end of May. I wanted the whole project done before I had to leave for training, so as to eliminate any outside distractions

Well, Coivid happened and six weeks ago the renovation stopped in its tracks when the tile guy refused to work. He finally decided to work again last week so once again (excuses) I'm racing to get this room put back together before leaving town next week.

At any rate, it's heartening know know you guys are in my corner and I'll be sure to update the thread once there's something to report!

Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Sucks to hear about the ACL injury and surgery and good to hear you are recovered from that.

As for the swap, just keep on plowing. You can’t give up. Just break it up in the smallest chunks possible and do small things at a time. It will move a lot quicker and you will be making positive progress
    +10000000

We've all been in that stage tipsy, project cars are the WORST and BEST things at times haha, what I do is what Bimerok said, break it into smallest chunks as possible and get as many small wins as you can, they later turn into a big win! That or set a goal to at least spend x amount of time daily, even if you do an hour a day that quickly adds up. The other great feedback is to set stages for your build, you DON't need AC to get the car running, maybe set that as stage 2, you can always do stuff later, getting the car running would surely boost morale

As others also noticed I was curious how the build was going, hope you get er done
    Last edited by RulyLSX; 05-18-2020 at 11:07 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328is m-tech
    Awesome build man , I've been looking at your progress for some time and using for a guide for some parts. Could I ask you for more info on your driveshaft and shifter setup, I have the same trans which has the flex disk instead of regular yoke. Also when I look up a F Body shifter cup online everyone lists that it is not going to fit a got t56 , did you have any trouble?

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by abigfern View Post
    Awesome build man , I've been looking at your progress for some time and using for a guide for some parts. Could I ask you for more info on your driveshaft and shifter setup, I have the same trans which has the flex disk instead of regular yoke. Also when I look up a F Body shifter cup online everyone lists that it is not going to fit a got t56 , did you have any trouble?
    Progress? What progress? LOL. I honestly have anxiety dreams that I'm pretty sure are caused by the fact I haven't touched this project for so long. Yet I need to (and want to ) get back to it. But each time I look at the mess of wires sitting there, I feel like I'm trying to pick up where someone else left off. It's become a huge mental roadblock that I haven't been able to push through.

There's more information on the driveshaft here. The shifter is an MGW short throw threaded for 12mmx1.75mm shift knob. This is the shift cup you need. As long as you install it on your GTO T56 with an F-Body shifter, it'll work fine.

I'll use this opportunity to make an "old guy" rant; It's sad how this subsection of the forum has nearly died. Facebook Groups seems to have taken over, which in my opinion, is tantamount to removing the supercharged LT4 from you corvette and swapping in an inline 4 cylinder from an E36 318. Talk about a platform downgrade. I have one social media account and that is FB, and I use it to lurk in a few groups. But the information posted there is almost useless.

It's the same questions being asked over and over, because no one ever searches the group. And the builds are all (in my opinion) a bunch of hacked together "drift" cars, with no ABS, no heater, no AC, manual brakes, etc. On the rare occasion someone posts what appears to be a very nice finished build, it makes me even sadder because I realize how beneficial it would have been if that build had been documented on this (or another forum), in a format that easy to read and search.
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 03-22-2021 at 01:04 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    I'll use this opportunity to make an "old guy" rant; It's sad how this subsection of the forum has nearly died. Facebook Groups seems to have taken over, which in my opinion, is tantamount to removing the supercharged LT4 from you corvette and swapping in an inline 4 cylinder from an E36 318. Talk about a platform downgrade. I have one social media account and that is FB, and I use it to lurk in a few groups. But the information posted there is almost useless.

It's the same questions being asked over and over, because no one ever searches the group. And the builds are all (in my opinion) a bunch of hacked together "drift" cars, with no ABS, no heater, no AC, manual brakes, etc. One the rare occasion someone posts what appears to be a very nice finished build, it makes me even sadder because I realize how beneficial it would have been if that build had been documented in on this (or another forum), in a a format that easy to read and search.
    Perfectly said and completely agree. I can't stand the FB posts...I don't see how they help.

Good luck on reigniting the interest on your project!

My Cars
    1999 328is m-tech
    You know , I'm starting to feel like a real idiot. For the life of me i can't get this damn gto yoke off. Got to a point that I thought it was just a one peice tailshaft . I have seen you're thread about the drive shaft before and even you're posts on the ls forum and replacing your gto yoke with a regular one sounded too easy lol . Idk I I'm being a b**** . Will try again tomorrow

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by abigfern View Post
    You know , I'm starting to feel like a real idiot. For the life of me i can't get this damn gto yoke off. Got to a point that I thought it was just a one peice tailshaft . I have seen you're thread about the drive shaft before and even you're posts on the ls forum and replacing your gto yoke with a regular one sounded too easy lol . Idk I I'm being a b**** . Will try again tomorrow
    The OE GTO slip yoke is not mechanically retained. Get a heavy rubber mallet and work around the edges to carefully bang it out.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Don't get too excited but I spent a few hours working on the car. By "working" I mean staring at the ungodly mess of wires, reading parts of this thread to trigger my memory and trying to figure out what the idiot who was working on this thing previously was doing. Oh wait

So, I actually kind of figured out what I was doing at the time I left off and crimped a few terminals to replace the relay socket I screwed up 1987

Of course, I have to leave to travel tomorrow and will be traveling much of April, but hey. I'm chipping away at that mental roadblock

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Don't get too excited but I spent a few hours working on the car. By "working" I mean staring at the ungodly mess of wires, reading parts of this thread to trigger my memory and trying to figure out what the idiot who was working on this thing previously was doing. Oh wait

So, I actually kind of figured out what I was doing at the time I left off and crimped a few terminals to replace the relay socket I screwed up 1987

Of course, I have to leave to travel tomorrow and will be traveling much of April, but hey. I'm chipping away at that mental roadblock
    That is great to hear! Good luck getting back!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Congrats Tipsy.

Agree that a lot of the detailed information on things like AC, ABS, heater core, EVAP, etc are not the best on various forums. I hope to post details on some of these topics as I tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Guys, I'm connecting wires. I have a feeling I'm going to end up either lengthening or shortening a lot of these wires after the fact because it's hard to get a feel for how things will untimely be routed. But for the time being, I just want to get the electrons moving.

We all know the E40 PCM is a red-headed step child, so I don't have a lot of previous builds to reference. I'm trying to be systematic about making all of these connections, so after spending all day yesterday jumping around from wire to wire, I've decided to concentrate on the blue J1 (also referred to as C1) connector, in pin order.

I'm already hitting several road blocks. If anyone who has a clue about the E40 is still following along (Leo?), please feel free to chime in.

J1-10 is "Powertrain Diagnostic Enable." I have notes from an non-BMW E40 build that says this is "ground signal to main power relay." I have no idea if I need to utilize this and if so, what for?
    EDIT: I have X20-21 connected to 86 of my main relay (coil). X20-21 is start/run power. I think I should connect J1-10 to the Ground post (85) of the main relay?

J1-13 is "Starter Relay Enable Control." Seems simple enough but again, my non-BMW E40 swap notes say "Ground leg of starter relay signal. Can be used or replaced by your own starter switch. This affects what you do with the PNP/Clutch Switch Circuit." I'm not even sure what PNP is? And advice for J1-13?

There's a ton more I'm not sure about but I thought I'd keep it simple for now and kick start with these.

Thanks gents.
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 05-26-2021 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Tipsy is back!

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Tipsy is back!

Yay!! Godspeed, Tipsy!
    Last edited by motorV8ed; 05-29-2021 at 11:00 AM.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Thanks for the welcome back but I'm moving at a snails pace with the wiring. The only reference I have for the E40 PCM into an E36 is an old, partially completed spreadsheet into an OBD1 car. There are a LOT of wires I'm not sure about. I'm at total standstill trying to figure out if there are connections for the clutch starter cutout (starter immobilization switch in the ETK) somewhere in the X20/X6031 or if I need to splice directly to the switch on the pedal. Even if I don't need to it initially start the car, I'll need it for the cruise control.

Right now, despite the fact that there are unloomed, unprotected wires all over the place, I think my best bet is to connect the fewest number of wires that I hope should be necessary to simply fire the engine. I'm sure hearing the engine fire will be a big morale booster. After that, I can continue to try to figure out all the connections for air conditioning, cruise control, fan control. etc.

Is it okay to try to get a first start without the O2's or MAF connected?

And again, if anyone has any E36 OBD2/E40 wiring note, please send them my way!
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 05-29-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added link to spreadsheet.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    I am completely baffled right now. I'm am working on connecting the two wires for the back-up ("reversing") lights. The ETK indicates X20-10 & X20-22 are the correct wires. I have several of the round 25 pin X20/X69 harness-side female connectors from the pick-n-pull. I honestly don't even know which one was originally part of my car but of seven 25 pin female harness connectors, not ONE of them has a wire in X20-10? How can that be? There is a male pin in X20-10 on the chassis side connector.

Obviously, I can (and will) put female pin in X20-10 but this just adds to my confusion.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    I am completely baffled right now. I'm am working on connecting the two wires for the back-up ("reversing") lights. The ETK indicates X20-10 & X20-22 are the correct wires. I have several of the round 25 pin X20/X69 harness-side female connectors from the pick-n-pull. I honestly don't even know which one was originally part of my car but of seven 25 pin female harness connectors, not ONE of them has a wire in X20-10? How can that be? There is a male pin in X20-10 on the chassis side connector.

Obviously, I can (and will) put female pin in X20-10 but this just adds to my confusion.
    I just ran my long test leads from X20-10 on the chassis side X20 connector to Blue-Yellow (reverse light) wire in the tail light harness connector in the trunk. Sure enough, there is continuity.

I honestly don't know how I have so many spare female/harness side 25 pin X20/X6031 connectors and not one of them has a pin in position 10? I just added a pin to the harness side X20-10.

So I guess it doesn't matter which of the two wires on the T56 reverse light switch connector gets connected to X20-10 vs. X20-22? It appears that when the T-56 is placed into Reverse, the switch simply completes the circuit between X20-10 & X20-22 for the reverse lights.

My Cars
    1999 328IS M-sport Coupe
    Is it okay to try to get a first start without the O2's or MAF connected?
    It will fire for sure but if it runs it certainly won't run well.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122